PDA

View Full Version : Voice Communication...again...

Kromize
11-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Pump up the volume, seriously, it seems like it's been getting worse. Having all audio levels at 1%, and voice at 100% is the max, and I really do need to do that for people sometimes.

FIX IT, I know it can't be hard.

Tharlak
11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Pump up the volume, seriously, it seems like it's been getting worse. Having all audio levels at 1%, and voice at 100% is the max, and I really do need to do that for people sometimes.

FIX IT, I know it can't be hard.

I'm with you hear, my settings are similar and group after group I can not hear folks. I have checked my system (windows volume settings, etc) and there is nothing left to do to boost the voice volume.

Samadhi
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
always signed

Linenoise2
11-20-2009, 12:32 PM
What makes matters worse is that you will have one guy with really low mic volume and another guy will have it too high. It makes for an unplesant experience at time. But overall the mic volume seems to be way too low. I have all my game sounds reduced to about 5% and then crtank up my speakers so I can hear people talking.

I don't know if the problem is in the UI or if people do not know where to place their mic in relation to how loudly they speak.

Kromize
11-20-2009, 02:02 PM
What makes matters worse is that you will have one guy with really low mic volume and another guy will have it too high. It makes for an unplesant experience at time. But overall the mic volume seems to be way too low. I have all my game sounds reduced to about 5% and then crtank up my speakers so I can hear people talking.

I don't know if the problem is in the UI or if people do not know where to place their mic in relation to how loudly they speak.

Yea, way back when I used to be fine with just setting the audio's to about 50%, yes, fifty, that wasn't a typo, but it seems that every time I took off from the game for a few months, then came back, it got worse and worse, first, dropped it to 30%, then 20%...10%...now i have to drop it to 1% sometimes just to hear people...otherwise mute all game volume and rely on visuals...:mad: It's terrible.

mashedpotato82
11-21-2009, 09:57 AM
when u have one guy with the volume too high and one with the volume to low its not your volume problem its his mouth too far from the mic.

but i also have my volume 10% sound/ 100% mic

just tell them its too qiuet most people have the common sense to fix settings or move the mic closer, if not i probably dont want to hear what they have to say anyways.

Kromize
11-24-2009, 09:34 AM
So, developers of this game, are you currently doing anything at all to help with this problem?

AylinIsAwesome
11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I don't think it's a problem developers can fix, unless they can put throw in a tutorial on how to use a microphone.

Even then it probably wouldn't fix it...

Letrii
11-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I can never hear anything in voice chat, so I just turn it off so people don't try to talk to me and think I am ignoring them.

InSoNiAc
11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
/signed

Kromize
11-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I don't think it's a problem developers can fix, unless they can put throw in a tutorial on how to use a microphone.

No no, you can fix it, just allow other people to control the incoming volume of each individual. That's one simple way.

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Ooh! A suggestion from you that I finally agree with! :rolleyes:

The audio for this game is pretty good compared to other MMOs (from what I hear from friends), btu it is in dire need of improvement. It's really a shame that many of us have to miss out on the ambiance of the sound effects, music and DM narration just so that we can hear the folks in our group, or that we have to pass on listening to some people in order to avoid having our eardrums blasted by others.

The topic has come up before, but I don't recall ever having seen a dev response.

We need:
-Sliding volume scales for individual party members (numbered 1-12, or selectable for individuals), and individual mute buttons (I don't want to have to squelch someone that I want to speak with, just because they are too loud or because their voice irritates me)
-Some built-in equalizer that can blend sounds a bit better
-Individual sliders for certain types of sound effects (ie. footfalls, weapon swinging, spell effects)
-Possibly a feature that reduces the volume of background sounds fluidly as people are speaking, then restore the sounds to their set volume when no one is on the horn

Zenako
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
A neat way to implement this would be on the main screen. When you are in a party, you can mouse over each member and select them. Then you could drag on the little Sound symbol just like the volume slider for tons of apps these days. Drag to the right for louder, to the left for softer.

Easy to explain, and perhaps easy to implement. The REAL problem tends to be the differental volumes of the players at times and being able to soften or louden just one is often all that is needed. It is a shame to have to kill off tons of audio feedback just to make communication more feasible.

Since I run mostly with guild members these days, we have no issues telling someone when they are talking too softly. (Sometimes there are reasons they can't speak up - sleeping family members nearby, etc.)

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 11:12 AM

Nice try, but no. The problem is the software. If you don't believe me, put two computers side by side and play around.

The easiest fix, of course, would be to add individual volume controls with memory. Probably best done by eliminating GameSpy and using a much better quality product.

Ghaldar
11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
I can never hear anything in voice chat, so I just turn it off so people don't try to talk to me and think I am ignoring them.

and this is why you are full of WIN!

:rolleyes:

vectner
11-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I have just turned everthing else down and pumped up the volume on my side. It gives me quite a shock when I get a sound out of the PC though.

Yurtrus
11-24-2009, 02:35 PM
If everyone would just buy one of these two items everything would be fine..

http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-nx-usb-51-gaming-headset-p-956.html - price

http://www.medusa-usa.com/images/sl-8795nx.jpg?osCsid=dedd8b16a601536648c8136d945183b9

or

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210258557&listingid=35833595 - price

http://www.plantronics.com/images/catalog/product_fullsize/gamecom777.jpg

Rhysem
11-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Nice blatant plug, though in your defense the pair of medusa/speed-link 5.1s are some of the best computer headphones I've ever used. Great for 3d positional PvP too -- bet folks though I was using some sort of hack but after a few hours use I was actually starting to pinpoint 3d noise relative to me.

I should try game voice chat with friends sometime -- I know our individual setups are fine since we are on teamspeak all. the. time. I'm usually only using my desktop stick mic anyway since the medusa I have is the external amp version and you can listen to my wireless network when using the headset... not so pleasant really. :-(

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Eh, I tried headphones once...can't stand wearing them for the amount of time I set around playing DDO. Besides, why should I restrict myself to headphones when I have a 4.1 surround sound system? :D I built the speakers, might as well use 'em!

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 03:07 PM
I should try game voice chat with friends sometime -- I know our individual setups are fine since we are on teamspeak all. the. time. I'm usually only using my desktop stick mic anyway since the medusa I have is the external amp version and you can listen to my wireless network when using the headset... not so pleasant really. :-(

That's a great way to see the problems. I'm on vent with friends all the time, hear them perfectly fine, then they speak in DDO and are often barely audible, or blow-your-eardrums-out loud.

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
That's a great way to see the problems. I'm on vent with friends all the time, hear them perfectly fine, then they speak in DDO and are often barely audible, or blow-your-eardrums-out loud.

So, is that saying that DDO's chat client is inherently flawed? When you're on Vent, do you still get DDO's sound effects and music?

Strakeln
11-24-2009, 04:16 PM
So, is that saying that DDO's chat client is inherently flawed?
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of flawed. It pales in comparison with other chat clients, so I'd certainly describe it as flawed from that perspective.

When you're on Vent, do you still get DDO's sound effects and music?
Yes. I'm lost as to why you ask though...?

karnokvolrath
11-24-2009, 04:26 PM
While i will say for the most part this doesnt bother me often (for what ever reason most my guildies vioce is fine). There are often times in pugs people are crazy loud or unhearable. Ive noticed the loud guy is usally the tank that runs off and takes lots of damage constantly, they must give these special people obnoixiouser mics. The quiet ones tend to be rogues when the whole party has never done temple of vol loot runs.

sephiroth1084
11-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Yes. I'm lost as to why you ask though...?
I'd used Vent once in DDO, and a couple of times on Starcraft, but couldn't recall whether it overrode game sounds.