PDA

View Full Version : I feel an addiction coming!

Akordya
11-19-2009, 06:26 PM
First of all, well met everyone!

I started playing DDO only a few days ago after playing many games out there and trying different playstyles. I started with Everquest then moved to Everquest 2, sidetracked to Dark Age of Camelot, UO, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, LotR, Guild Wars and Warhammer. I roleplayed (a lot), I simply quested and I even raided top content in a few of those games. But all of them, with their strenghts and weaknesses, lacked in something. A something that only pen and paper roleplay games could reach.

So a few days ago, I downloaded DDO to try something different between raids and pvp. After 30 min I was sold! Graphics were very nice, character creation was fine and how you can create a unique class/multiclass fitting your playstyle and needs instead of ending with a cooky cutter build (because any other builds are not that great), was awesome. I admit I am still trying to figure out many aspect of the gameplay and will probably do it for quite some time, but it's all part of the fun!

One aspect I looove is to hear the voice of the *gamemaster* at various places in the crawls! And the puzzles of course, and the way opponents are trying to flank you with the casters and ranged trying their best to stay away from melee, and the healers actually healing! DDO is challenging! Well on the class I am trying anyway (rogue). Another aspect is the realistic graphics. I thought Korthos was nice, but when I saw Cerulean Hills my jaw dropped! I also was ambushed by orcs at that point =D yay for bandits not staying like idiots in the middle of the road but actually using terrain and covers!

Well, I am now VIP and cancelled my other game subscription! I am having such a thrill after only 3-4 days I know my money is well placed and that this game will be my new addiction! AND I still have to enjoy many parts of the game like grouping =)

Now I do have a few questions:

1- I love roleplay, is there a server more dedicated to roleplaying then the others? And how is roleplay generally seen in DDO? If I play in character in a group will most players will be fine with it or make fun of me?

2- My playstyle is probably a drow rogue (love drow) since I enjoy finding traps, disabling them, opening locks and sneak-attacking opponents whenever I can. But how can I increase my soloability? I don't plan on soloing all the time, I am sure I will enjoy grouping, but lets say 60% group- 40% solo is very me since I cannot group when my kid is awake and needs my attention (so grouping is in the evenings for me). I am still trying to figure out the templates I saw on the forum and still am looking for advice on what class/classes could fit my playstyle.

So any advice is welcomed! I look foward to meeting other players and making friends! Until then, back to experimenting with tumble in melee.

Mockduck
11-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Role Playing tends to happen in RP-specific guilds and smaller groups. Honestly, I think you might get a few odd stares if you were role playing while in a typical group, but who knows? Play how you like. I personally would think it's pretty cool, but then I'm a geek like that.

Probably the server with the MOST role playing is Thelanis. It's had a long history of it. That said, there are RP guilds on pretty much any server.

DDO is a little (well, a lot) different from pen and paper when it comes to rogues. Splashing a few levels of rogue into a DDO build can easily make you able to do most rogue stuff in the game. So, splashing rogue into another class might be something to consider. A class like Favored Soul might work for you, for fighting, healing and rogueing. But, that's just one option, there are many out there. Also, it's possible to build a "pure" rogue that can do quite a bit solo-wise. Think Use Magic Device as a skill, two weapon fighting and make sure you give yourself a decent strength and con score, for one thing, or another option is to go high-dex and take weapon finesse. I'm sure others can help you out if you are interested in more info on this.

Welcome to DDO! I too was hooked in the first few hours I played.

lord_of_rage
11-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome to DDO. Its awsome you have been addicted so fast. There are some great drow rogue builds outthere. Ill post a link to one I personally enjoy.http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2169542#post2169542 Its one of Impaqts builds. Imp is one of the masters on the boards on multiclass rogue builds. I will say I know that as a new player gear can be a pain so some advice is run the Sharn Syndicate series in the marketplace. If you run a drow rogue the "nicked" shortswords that are end rewards for the last quest are awsome. As well as the nicked maces. They are solid for deleras and against ele's early on. The nicked weapons bind to account and are min lvl2.

The lessa build has great solo potential. The only tome you really need is a +1 dex to get access to GTWF. You cn buy one off the store with turbine points. Its a fun build. It has great dps and main tanks just fine. The ac stays solid and is even better if you have barkskin pots early on to get that extra ac. Im not sure if he has a lowbie gear advice list or not. If you need some help shoot me a pm. Im currently deployed so I cant jump in game but Ill give you as much advice as I can. Aranticus is also a wealth of new player info. And he has several builds for newer players. I hope you enjoy the game good luck and happy questing.

Bret

MysterX
11-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I would second the opinions that

Thelanis is a nice server to find some roleplay, if you seek it out

and

Go with Impaqt's Leesa build (or a variant) for a solo-capable drow rogue that will be valuable in groups for the DPS and trap skills.

cardmj1
11-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree, Thelanis is your best bet.

Soloability, the build mentioned is a great build and a huge fun factor.

DoctorWhofan
11-20-2009, 12:24 AM
THELANIS!!!

Best server in the game! We have EVERYTHING from RPing to Top Raiding Guilds in the Game (coughcoughLegionowesmecashcough!) As I am a Casual Player, I will not see you too much, however, if you ever wanna take abreak from RPing (some do) please look me up!

Welcome to the addiction that is DDO. There is NO ten step program!

Akordya
11-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Well thanks a loteveryone! I will give Thelanis a try and I checked Impaqt tempest rogue build and will try it even if I don't understand all those numbers (guess I rolled low on decipher script!). I mean I figured what to take for starting stats and what skills I need but will have to do some research on enhancements/tomes and others items and skills mentioned =) See you in the game!

Shamurai
11-20-2009, 08:26 AM
THELANIS FTW!!

I've met DrWhoFan, in game she rocks!

Some other great guild people you will me are THE MADBORN! These guys rcck!

I mix RP'ing into my toons.. For example I warn people in undead dungeons or those with evil outsiders that Heidiann is a bit... "fanatical" about these creature types, partly because she is a devout follower of Pelor and because her father was killed by Evil Outsiders.. so yeah.. and Faithrune, finds killing... distasteful unless it's a creature that is "really icky".

Bekki
11-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I belive Thelanis does have the largest contingent
of RP Guilds...

If they are still around
I would look for the Guild

"The Sword and the Rose."

Bekki
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
THELANIS!!!

Best server in the game! We have EVERYTHING from RPing to Top Raiding Guilds in the Game

(coughcoughLegionowesmecashcough!)
As I am a Casual Player, I will not see you too much, however,
if you ever wanna take abreak from RPing (some do) please look me up!

Welcome to the addiction that is DDO. There is NO ten step program!

Top raiding Guilds Doc?

What do mean? is it just because we were...

Ach Hem...First Server Take the reaver... First server to Open the Subterannae... Etc. :p

Dont Hold back Doc...

Tell us how you feel... ;)

J/K

I love thelanis.

I migrated to Thelanis from Tharashk

during the great server merge of 2007... :p

And I have to say... I never looked back.

I had the honor of metting lots of great players
DocWhofan very much included...

I had a Blast and the honor of
Running with the Queen
in a Tempest Spine Run
(Several I think...)

And it is always a great time... :D

I think you will be happy on Thelanis... :D

WolfSpirit
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
WOW with the Thelanis bumps!
lmao
Truth is there are RP guilds on all the servers.
I can think of 3 MAJOR guilds on Sarlona that are 100% RP.
Too hardcore for me but hey.
I'd say stick with whatever server you already started on.
-
Rogues are tough for solo artists, though there are several builds to help that.
I fell right in love myself after trying the "other" games. They just didn't have the feel that this did. AND the community was AWESOME. The others all were fillled with hostility and vulgar emotes and simply big headed/featured characters with all the same classes without variation. YUCK!
GL and enjoy!

DoctorWhofan
11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
Top raiding Guilds Doc?

What do mean? is it just because we were...

Ach Hem...First Server Take the reaver... First server to Open the Subterannae... Etc. :p

Dont Hold back Doc...

Tell us how you feel... ;)

J/K

I love thelanis.

I migrated to Thelanis from Tharashk

during the great server merge of 2007... :p

And I have to say... I never looked back.

I had the honor of metting lots of great players
DocWhofan very much included...

I had a Blast and the honor of
Running with the Queen
in a Tempest Spine Run
(Several I think...)

And it is always a great time... :D

I think you will be happy on Thelanis... :D

THat's GODDESS!!! Geez! :P

I'm from Tharashk, orginally, too.

lord_of_rage
11-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Well thanks a loteveryone! I will give Thelanis a try and I checked Impaqt tempest rogue build and will try it even if I don't understand all those numbers (guess I rolled low on decipher script!). I mean I figured what to take for starting stats and what skills I need but will have to do some research on enhancements/tomes and others items and skills mentioned =) See you in the game!

Equipmet advice for low lvl is pretty easy.

I tend to go with the pathfinder set from korthos. the stacking +2 to hit is great low lvl.
the rugged belt for +5 hp or a light fort belt.
farm Waterworks for the black widow bracers +4 ac armored bracers. Youll use them till at least lvl9.
Just a few as I am drawing a blank. Good luck.

sirdanile
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
THELANIS!!!

(coughcoughLegionowesmecashcough!)

You too? Silly uber leet players not payin back their monies! :D

Oh get that cough looked at m'am ^_^

Sogrin
11-20-2009, 07:02 PM
hmm.

i may need to migrate to thelanis myself.

only got lvl 6 rogue and lvl 4-6 cleric on different servers (argo and kyber respectively) although there hasnt been much activity during my prime time (Aussie here)

might actually get to meet some vets :)

although i am going with robi and his TP farm marathon. that could be fun.

cdbd3rd
11-22-2009, 07:55 AM
WOW with the Thelanis bumps!

There are many fine Thelanis bumps.

...I've seen the pix. ;)

strath
11-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Glad that you are enjoying the game.

It sounds like Rogue suits your playstyle nicely, rogue can solo or duo fairly well. I will often buy a cleric merc when I play a rogue and I solo just fine. The UMD (Use Magic Device) skill is also a must have for solo capable rogues, with a few levels you can use wands and scrolls for healing and crowd control.

If you want to experiment with multi-class the one posted above is fantastic, but you may also like bard with 2 levels of rogue. This combo creates a character that can cast, melee, and has a TON of skills. With your love of drow it is a natural fit for your race of choice.

Akordya
11-22-2009, 09:04 AM
I tend to go with the pathfinder set from korthos. the stacking +2 to hit is great low lvl.
the rugged belt for +5 hp or a light fort belt.
farm Waterworks for the black widow bracers +4 ac armored bracers. Youll use them till at least lvl9.
Just a few as I am drawing a blank. Good luck.

Thank you! I didn't know about the black widow so will look out for her. So far so good, no death and lots of excitement! I am doing the quests on all mode, solo to hard and trying to do the explorer and rare creatures achievement.

I just love to sneak and stab my way past the ennemies until I can get a proper first attack and a good defensive position against the adds. I try to use what surrounds me a lot. I am in love with that playstyle reminds me of Playstation games like Tenchu or even Assassin's Creed. I am reading The Way of Shadows right now hehee (Night Angel Trilogy from Brent Weeks), so that makes me even more thrilled at playing a sneaky rogue. I am still shy about grouping but should cure that ailment today ;)

Also working on a good story for Akhordya and developping her personality so I'll be ready if I find some roleplayers.