PDA

View Full Version : What Damage Reduction stacks?

mechgouki
11-19-2009, 05:36 PM
Which are the DR that stacks?

There's Barbarian Damage Reduction, up to DR 6/- I believe.
Warforged, but I'm not sure how much.
Adamantine Armor, DR 3/-
Fighter Stalwart Defender, DR up to 6.

Which of these can stack together?

In addition, when blocking with a Shield, will Shield Damage Reduction stack with basic DR?

Will Dwarven Shield Mastery stack with Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Mastery?

Extra questions. What is DR 20/Epic? And if it is DR X/-, can we assume it also affects magic?

tihocan
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
The only DR that stacks is the blocking DR. See http://ddowiki.com/page/Damage_Reduction for details.

DR 20/Epic means you subtract 20 from any physical damage which is not tagged as Epic.

DR does not affect damage from spells, and that includes DR/- (*)

(*) It may affect spell damage which is specifically tagged as a form of physical damage, like bludgeon damage from cometfall. I'm not sure about that. But it definitely won't block stuff like force or lightning damage.

Corebreach
11-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Will Dwarven Shield Mastery stack with Shield Mastery and Improved Shield Mastery?
I believe so. Race & class Enhancements tend to stack with everything, and all of those are bonuses that increase existing DR rather than adding new, separate DR sources.

MyersVandalay
11-20-2009, 02:42 AM
just curious, what about warchanter's song? I always hear warchanters are in high demand at high levels, which kinda confuses me as by then I would assume most people would have considerably better then 5 DR, is the main perk the extra to attack/damage rolls?

Junts
11-20-2009, 02:43 AM
just curious, what about warchanter's song? I always hear warchanters are in high demand at high levels, which kinda confuses me as by then I would assume most people would have considerably better then 5 DR, is the main perk the extra to attack/damage rolls?

its the +2 to damage for every member of the raid

times 7-11 people in melee, its a -lot- of extra damage over another bard.

Junts
11-20-2009, 02:44 AM
The only DR that stacks is the blocking DR. See http://ddowiki.com/page/Damage_Reduction for details.

DR 20/Epic means you subtract 20 from any physical damage which is not tagged as Epic.

DR does not affect damage from spells, and that includes DR/- (*)

(*) It may affect spell damage which is specifically tagged as a form of physical damage, like bludgeon damage from cometfall. I'm not sure about that. But it definitely won't block stuff like force or lightning damage.

it does not

mechgouki
11-20-2009, 06:56 AM
So you guys are certain that Warforged Damage Reduction does NOT stack with Barbarian? I hear from somewhere that they stack, since it's a race plus a class effect.

The DR 20/Epic. Are you sure there are attacks labelled Epic? It doesn't mean any Lv 20 character can pass through the damage, right?

And since Magic is not affected, why is there DR 5/Magic?

tihocan
11-20-2009, 08:39 AM
it does not
Thanks, that's what I thought, but I've read some ppl claimed it worked, and since I never double-checked I wasn't sure anymore...

tihocan
11-20-2009, 08:40 AM
So you guys are certain that Warforged Damage Reduction does NOT stack with Barbarian? I hear from somewhere that they stack, since it's a race plus a class effect.

The DR 20/Epic. Are you sure there are attacks labelled Epic? It doesn't mean any Lv 20 character can pass through the damage, right?

Yes / Yes / Right / Because any magic weapon deals damage tagged as magic.

Samadhi
11-20-2009, 08:42 AM

You heard wrong - they do not stack - guaranteed.

That means that weapons are reduced by DR 5; unless the weapon is magic (i.e. this is only good at lower levels).

mechgouki
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
I think I got it now. Thanks guys.

mechgouki
11-29-2009, 09:25 AM
I just want to confirm one more time. Doesn't the enhancements and feats for warforged say Improved your existing Damage reduction? Wouldn't that mean that it can stack?

Lorien_the_First_One
11-29-2009, 09:29 AM

Most people don't have any DR except while blocking so the DR5 is useful. The DR song however isn't why WCs are in demand, their damage song is why they are in demand.

I just want to confirm one more time. Doesn't the enhancements and feats for warforged say Improved your existing Damage reduction? Wouldn't that mean that it can stack?

WF enhancements increase WF DR, but does not stack with other kinds of DR.

Missing_Minds
11-29-2009, 09:33 AM

Read the full description, not part.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Improved_Damage_Reduction
Usage: Passive
You gain damage reduction 1/adamantine, or improve your existing damage reduction by 1/adamantine.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Warforged_Damage_Reduction_I
Usage: Passive
Cost: 2 action points
Available to level 1 Warforged
You gain damage reduction 1/adamantine, or improve your existing damage reduction by 1/adamantine.

Barbarian DR is /-. Different types of DR do not stack, only the best applies.

Missing_Minds
11-29-2009, 09:39 AM

yes, the attacks are labled as epic.

No, a lvl 20 character by itself can not tear through it. However... maybe it is possible for a lvl 20 monk to beat it. I don't know. You see, in PnP, monks did not get epic DR, they got DR/magic. (rather useless in this game). Because of this, they may be able to beat it. We'd have to ask those with monks who PvP to verify.

Paragons (kobolds) can beat epic DR.
+6 weapons beat epic DR. (not +6 market value, but actual +6 and better.)
I would think also that any creature in the epic quests will beat epic DR.

DireWolverine
11-29-2009, 09:44 AM
yes, the attacks are labled as epic.

No, a lvl 20 character by itself can not tear through it. However... maybe it is possible for a lvl 20 monk to beat it. I don't know. You see, in PnP, monks did not get epic DR, they got DR/magic. (rather useless in this game). Because of this, they may be able to beat it. We'd have to ask those with monks who PvP to verify.

Ki strike (magic) is the lowest-level, even in PnP. Adamantine is the highest. There was no 'DR/epic' in PnP that I recall.

Paragons (kobolds) can beat epic DR.
+6 weapons beat epic DR. (not +6 market value, but actual +6 and better.)

Yeah, not there yet so I can't comment on this. Check with me in, oh, two years or so at my current rate of xp gain. :)

tihocan
11-29-2009, 10:15 AM
No, there was a post by Eladrin somewhere (maybe on Lamannia forums?) where he said they tried to limit the number of mobs with damage flagged as epic, so it's mostly some named stuff that does that.
The "trash" epic monsters should not bypass epic DR.