PDA

View Full Version : metamagics for cleric

Shumanfoo
11-18-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm looking at re-building my lvl3 Cleric. I kinda like him but now that I have some experience with him I feel like remaking him since I'm only lvl3. I keep going back and forth on what meta magic feats to pick up. What ones are necessary mid to late game and what are just handy? I plan to focus on healing and CC.

I like extend and quicken for sure. Debating emp vs emp healing (with associated enhancements).

Wondering if max or heighten are necessary at all. I can see some benefit of maxing a heal when you need one, but emp heal would give a nice boost and much more efficient. Is heighten needed for some CC spells? In the end which 7 feats would you take? I like dwarf, but if I need an additional feat I could take human.

Possible Feats to take with Cleric20:
Extend
Quicken
Empower Spell/Emp Healing (I'd pick one)
Max Spell
Heighten Spell
Mental Toughness
Imp Mental Toughness
Spell Penetration
Greater Spell Penetration
Spell Focus?
Toughness?

Thanks,
Shu

Shumanfoo
11-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm looking at the Cleric spells trying to see which CC/debuff's I'd even be using. Is it more common to be adding some spell damage than CC/debuff?

DoctorWhofan
11-18-2009, 10:46 AM
depends what kind of cleric you want to be. I took Maximse on my clerics because it works on most healing spells and most offensive spells. I DIDN'Ttake Empower healing becauseit only works on healing spells.

Then again, my clerics are generalists healer/offensive casters.

Kralgnax
11-18-2009, 11:28 AM
Despite the somewhat loopy OP, the thread A warning to healing clarics about maximize... (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214082) has a great deal of good discussion about cleric metamagic in general, and the importance of maximize.

Extend is really great at lower levels, as otherwise your buffs are gone in a flash, once you get past 10 it becomes more optional and can reasonably be traded out.

tihocan
11-18-2009, 11:30 AM
If you plan to be mostly a healer/caster (no melee) I'd take at least:
extend / empower healing / maximize / quicken / spell pen

Empower healing is not mandatory though, if you're more interested in offensive casting switch it for empower (quickened/maximized/empowered BB's are really nice). You can also just take maximize alone (that's what I got on my cleric). Just be aware that maximized mass heals burn through SP significantly faster than with empower healing (for which clerics get enhancements/items to reduce its cost).

DoctorWhofan
11-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I have Quicken, Extend and Maximise, Spell Pen. Extra Turning(for DVs that I seem to still use), Mental Toughness. I havem ore, but I cannot remember at this time.

Shumanfoo
11-18-2009, 11:36 AM
I've been browsing the Cleric forum and have totally changed what I want to do with my cleric and understand some of the metamagics better as well.

Edit: Kralgnax, that forum post is exactly what I was reading.

Zenako
11-18-2009, 11:47 AM
For Metas that cost spell points I have the following:

On my generalist capped cleric I have Maximize, Empowered Healing, and Quicken.

On my level 17 casting cleric I have Maximize, Empower, Extend (and will be taking Quicken at 18).

Heighten is not generally worth it since most of the spells you are casting are already high level anyway.

I used to have Extend on the 20th cleric but swapped it out for Quicken a while back, finding that at higher levels, it was overkill on almost all spells and just a waste.

You will find that you want to have things like Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen at higher levels when many of the mobs have SR. Along with enhancements and a Spell Pen item you can be landing spells past SR with consistency, without, too many spells bounce.

At low levels the very first Meta to take should be Extend. The payoff if very nice at those levels in reduced casting frequency and few spell points being used once you are casting level 2 or higher buffs.

Shumanfoo
11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
For Metas that cost spell points I have the following:

On my generalist capped cleric I have Maximize, Empowered Healing, and Quicken.

On my level 17 casting cleric I have Maximize, Empower, Extend (and will be taking Quicken at 18).

Heighten is not generally worth it since most of the spells you are casting are already high level anyway.

I used to have Extend on the 20th cleric but swapped it out for Quicken a while back, finding that at higher levels, it was overkill on almost all spells and just a waste.

You will find that you want to have things like Spell Pen and Greater Spell Pen at higher levels when many of the mobs have SR. Along with enhancements and a Spell Pen item you can be landing spells past SR with consistency, without, too many spells bounce.

At low levels the very first Meta to take should be Extend. The payoff if very nice at those levels in reduced casting frequency and few spell points being used once you are casting level 2 or higher buffs.

Thanks for that advice. That all makes sense. I am leaning toward taking Max, Emp, Quicken, Pen, G Pen, Mental Tough and Imp MT. Should I swap something else in place of the MT feats?

tihocan
11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for that advice. That all makes sense. I am leaning toward taking Max, Emp, Quicken, Pen, G Pen, Mental Tough and Imp MT. Should I swap something else in place of the MT feats?
I'd switch at least one for Extend. I know some ppl say it's not that great, but I really like extending recitation and blade barriers myself.

sirgog
11-18-2009, 12:36 PM
If you plan to be mostly a healer/caster (no melee) I'd take at least:
extend / empower healing / maximize / quicken / spell pen

Empower healing is not mandatory though, if you're more interested in offensive casting switch it for empower (quickened/maximized/empowered BB's are really nice). You can also just take maximize alone (that's what I got on my cleric). Just be aware that maximized mass heals burn through SP significantly faster than with empower healing (for which clerics get enhancements/items to reduce its cost).

On Empower Spell vs. Empower Healing:

I feel that Empower Spell is superior from level 11 to 19, and Empower Healing is superior at 20 and from 1-10.

From 1-10, you can't cast really big heals - the biggest you have is Cure Critical, and so extra 'oomph' is needed on occasion.

From 11-19, you can cast Heal, and it tends to heal for enough to fill a player's health bar (WF barbarians excepted). Bladebarrier is incredible at these levels (even if your focus is healing), and so Emp Spell is the way to go.

At 20, Empower Spell loses some of its lustre - foes have just too many HP for even the highly efficient Bladebarrier to shine any more. As an example, Epic Menechtarun Hyenas have about 6000 HP, and a Max-Empped BB deals an average (after factoring in foes saving 50% of the time) of 210 damage a hit. On the other hand, melees at 20 have more HP than one Heal spell - so you will start to want to use the Empower feat on Heal and Mass Heal.