PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried a 10/10 Clogue?

Mojofizznut
11-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Has anyone gone to 20 with a pure 10/10 Cleric Rogue?

Looking at Cleric heals, through level 5 spells you get resurrection and major heals. For Rogue to lvl 10, you get full sneak attack and open lock/device skills.

I'm rolling one now, only lvl 3 atm, and I chose a dwarf to go with the dual wielding axe chain. I'm going pure melee focus with 16/15/16/12/12/6.

So far I'm blown away. +2 Plate dueal wield with heals. With char builder I'll be able to approach 30 raw skill in open lock and devices, very nice spot, search, balance and concentration. Not so good on the UMD - dipolomacy and intimidate in the mid 20s. Jump 10+ could go higher.

Feats I'm going pure melee for the dwarven axes and putting all attributes into Str/con. A couple in dex to get the Greater TWF.

Thinking this is kinda the McGuyver, a little heals (poor, not main heals for sure), decent dps (not best but able to contribute) and mech.

Thoughts? Going to be horribly gimped at 20? Just seems like will be a lot of fun, and I'm new so I like the idea of exploring for traps/chests. Enhancements I went for the Rogue skills (ol, device, dex), race enhancements for toughness and con, then I pumped a bit into healing skills (extra sp and extra healing percent and crit chances).

heyytoi
11-17-2009, 08:13 PM
ne heal no fun

Lorien_the_First_One
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
You will be an underpowered healer and underpowered DPSer.

You lose evasion as long as you decide to stay in full plate.

I think you will have problems with party invites past L10 or so...

DoctorWhofan
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
--cringe!--

Not an endgame build...at ALL. I cannot see how that would work in any party

Samadhi
11-17-2009, 08:26 PM
i like cleric rogue; but 10/10 is probably close to the worst possible place to split them; since you miss the major benefits of both classes (acrobat and heal/bettermasses).

DoctorWhofan
11-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I have a clogue--he's 2 ROgue and 10 cleric right now. trapmonkey/healbot. He WORKS. BUT I really miss the SP sometimes. He'll work at endgame.

captain1z
11-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Honestly at level 20 I think this build would be in bad shape.

You will have 5th level spells

- offensively they wont work at all but 5min buffs (10 mins with extend could be useful when soloing)

Your rogue half will fair better but trust would be hard to gain from the masses.
Your stats will make or break you

STR- helps your melee damage do you have any....spells can help so its not as important
Dex- you have evasion but are wearing full plate.... the 2 dont work together
con- need at least 14 to start if you plan on meleeing at all
int- 8 int means you wont have many skill points to spread when you take cleric levels. You lose a little everytime and some of your skills will be suspect
wis- cleric side needs this for many reasons
cha- can be skipped but would help if you had like 12

Your build would be better off

Cleric 17/ rogue 3 - a few rogue skills and 9th level spells and evasion

cleric 16/ rogue 2 / 2 paladin - 8th level spells, evasion and good saves....plus a few rogue skills

cleric 17/ rogue 2/ fighter 1- martial weapons feats + 1 free combat feat, evasion + some rogue skills and 9th level spells

Oh and the ever popular and synergetic 17 cleric/ 2 monk/ 1 rogue wisdom focused uber AC banditto

in each case you need to decide if you are dex or str based and have like 12 intelligence. Check out the divine power spell because its gonna be your combat crutch. 10/10 is to unfocused.

check my thread.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=213804

see if it helps any.

Mojofizznut
11-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Not intended to be primary healer.
Not intended to be top of the dps chart.

Just fun and handy. For solo playing and first character to get to know the game, think it's worth it?

Mojofizznut
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Honestly at level 20 I think this build would be in bad shape.

You will have 5th level spells

- offensively they wont work at all but 5min buffs (10 mins with extend could be useful when soloing)

Your rogue half will fair better but trust would be hard to gain from the masses.
Your stats will make or break you

STR- helps your melee damage do you have any....spells can help so its not as important
Dex- you have evasion but are wearing full plate.... the 2 dont work together
con- need at least 14 to start if you plan on meleeing at all
int- 8 int means you wont have many skill points to spread when you take cleric levels. You lose a little everytime and some of your skills will be suspect
wis- cleric side needs this for many reasons
cha- can be skipped but would help if you had like 12

Your build would be better off

Cleric 17/ rogue 3 - a few rogue skills and 9th level spells and evasion

cleric 16/ rogue 2 / 2 paladin - 8th level spells, evasion and good saves....plus a few rogue skills

cleric 17/ rogue 2/ fighter 1- martial weapons feats + 1 free combat feat, evasion + some rogue skills and 9th level spells

in each case you need to decide if you are dex or str based and have like 12 intelligence. Check out the divine power spell because its gonna be your combat crutch. 10/10 is to unfocused.

check my thread.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=213804

see if it helps any.

I've read the forums for two weeks now, yep, I've seen almost every build out there with 1,2, 3 lvl splashes here and there. Just curious if anyone has taken something like this to 20 (my original Q). Again, max sneak and max mech skills at 10 Rogue, and lvl 5 Cleric spells give you decent heals and resurrect for backup heal role. Reading the posts, I don't think you got my original intent statements.

I would experiment with armor to get highest AC and not impact skills of course. For now just cruising with plate and having a ball. I've rolled probably 10 lower level classes and variations so far through the Kornos content, by far this guy is just a blast. Even finishing the alternate quests for traps (which I bet many of you didn't even know existed in game!! They only appear if you are successful in finding one).

Junts
11-17-2009, 08:43 PM
I've read the forums for two weeks now, yep, I've seen almost every build out there. Just curious if anyone has taken something like this to 20 (my original Q). Again, max sneak and max mech skills at 10 Rogue, and lvl 5 Cleric spells give you decent heals and resurrect for backup heal role. Reading the posts, I don't think you got my original intent statements.

level 5 cleric spells arent that important; level 6 are the big ones. You'd improve this build by a factor of 10 simply by being 11/9, but so many rogue levels are unnecessary and harm you more than they help.

captain1z
11-17-2009, 08:44 PM
, think it's worth it?

- as a learning experience yes.... go for it. You will learn a lot.

- as a character that can heal? no

- as a character that can deal damage? no

- as a rogue substitute? no

People will think 3 times before inviting you.

Gelandor
11-17-2009, 08:46 PM
No Blade Barrier = No Fun.

Samadhi
11-17-2009, 08:56 PM
I've read the forums for two weeks now, yep, I've seen almost every build out there with 1,2, 3 lvl splashes here and there. Just curious if anyone has taken something like this to 20 (my original Q). Again, max sneak and max mech skills at 10 Rogue, and lvl 5 Cleric spells give you decent heals and resurrect for backup heal role. Reading the posts, I don't think you got my original intent statements.

I would experiment with armor to get highest AC and not impact skills of course. For now just cruising with plate and having a ball. I've rolled probably 10 lower level classes and variations so far through the Kornos content, by far this guy is just a blast. Even finishing the alternate quests for traps (which I bet many of you didn't even know existed in game!! They only appear if you are successful in finding one).

As Junts said, 11 cleric is far superior to 10 cleric. Additionally - rogue max SA at 10? No, they get an additional 1d6 every odd level, so most rogue splashes (other than /2 for evasion) end on an odd level to maximize. Personally, I wouldn't go shy of 12/13 rogue so I could at least get acrobat.

What you are missing is that 1) as far as rezzing, a pure rogue can do that 2) your heals will be completely useless other than healing yourself, because you will only have 1 mass cure spell and, since the potency of the spells stack based on levels in cleric, it won't hit for ****.

Shade
11-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Just fun and handy. For solo playing and first character to get to know the game, think it's worth it?

Nope.

Because a 19/1 or 18/2 can do all the same traps yet also be a strong cleric with full casting abilities as the same time.

Due to the design of traps, you need only splash a single level of rogue to handle 99% of traps in the game. Especiall on a cleric thanks to the find traps spell - the big difficulty on most traps tends to be finding them, not disabling.

DoctorWhofan
11-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Nope.

Because a 19/1 or 18/2 can do all the same traps yet also be a strong cleric with full casting abilities as the same time.

Due to the design of traps, you need only splash a single level of rogue to handle 99% of traps in the game. Especiall on a cleric thanks to the find traps spell - the big difficulty on most traps tends to be finding them, not disabling.

sultle synergy most people don't take in to consideration. Mine has it. ANd you said it the big one: 1 or two levels of rogue is enough for traps (two for evasion) and if you are going the other way, 12 or 18 levels of rogue and the rest cleric would make more sense. Not MUCH more, but your usefulness would be very much increased for endgame.

Impaqt
11-17-2009, 09:57 PM

You describe a character thats pretty useless end game....

The deepest Cleric/Rogue split that could really be usefull is a 14/6Rogue.

Angelus_dead
11-18-2009, 02:04 AM
Here's the experiment to consider:
Get on a level 10 pure cleric, and find a party of level 20 characters, and get them to invite you to come help on their quests. See how useful your spells are to that group, and then decide if Cleric10/X10 is a good idea.

Favis
11-18-2009, 03:43 AM
i like cleric rogue; but 10/10 is probably close to the worst possible place to split them; since you miss the major benefits of both classes (acrobat and heal/bettermasses).
Agree.
If you like as close splitt as possible between the classes I think 11 lvl Cleric for "heal" and 9 Rogue is the best.
With the lvl 6 spell "heal" you can make decent heals even at lvl 20. But without it the most of you healing capacity would be from heal scrolls. So you better invest in UMD (to reach) if you go for a 10/10 splitt so you can cast them with 100% success. But as you are going to heal mainly from Scrolls a Bard/Rogue 10/10 would heal better then a Cleric/Rogue 10/10 and then you get some more usefull spells ...

Visty
11-18-2009, 04:23 AM
i know someone who has a 10/8 split atm (dunno yet what he chooses till lvl20) and i can say that char is so costly, i could never play such thing

he is going through scrolls like water and that cause he has no lvl6 spells yet

yes, he is a great player, but i wouldnt recommend such a build to someone learning the game

strath
11-19-2009, 06:53 AM
As mentioned above 11/9 may work as you get the highly valued 6 lvl spells.
Personally the deepest I would go is Cleric 15/5 rogue, this will break traps short of elite & you will still have access to 8th level spells.

You will notice that I always put the break points are on odd levels, it is because both caster levels and backstab DPS improve on odd level breaks.

Personally I find that if you want to combo a rogue with support & heal magic you may want to consider Bard Rogue. This combo has fantastic skill points and great synergy for maxing UMD and Haggle (which is nice to have on a UMD character)

Jayfunked
11-19-2009, 07:02 AM
It would make a change to not be the main reason for all the wipes for once. :(

Zhorge
11-19-2009, 07:05 AM
Has anyone gone to 20 with a pure 10/10 Cleric Rogue?

Looking at Cleric heals, through level 5 spells you get resurrection and major heals. For Rogue to lvl 10, you get full sneak attack and open lock/device skills.

I'm rolling one now, only lvl 3 atm, and I chose a dwarf to go with the dual wielding axe chain. I'm going pure melee focus with 16/15/16/12/12/6.

So far I'm blown away. +2 Plate dueal wield with heals. With char builder I'll be able to approach 30 raw skill in open lock and devices, very nice spot, search, balance and concentration. Not so good on the UMD - dipolomacy and intimidate in the mid 20s. Jump 10+ could go higher.

Feats I'm going pure melee for the dwarven axes and putting all attributes into Str/con. A couple in dex to get the Greater TWF.

Thinking this is kinda the McGuyver, a little heals (poor, not main heals for sure), decent dps (not best but able to contribute) and mech.

Thoughts? Going to be horribly gimped at 20? Just seems like will be a lot of fun, and I'm new so I like the idea of exploring for traps/chests. Enhancements I went for the Rogue skills (ol, device, dex), race enhancements for toughness and con, then I pumped a bit into healing skills (extra sp and extra healing percent and crit chances).

I'm certainly not an "expert" in the min/max game, but the Rev. 3.5 DnD system tends to penalize generalization and splitting classes equally across archetype such as you're doing. This will tend to make weak characters incapable of performing at high levels. Under the old DnD, a 10/10 cleric rogue would have been a formidable multi-class. But that was then, this is now.