PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Help

killerzee
11-16-2009, 09:31 PM
So a week or so ago i rolled up a dwarf trap ranger with 18 str 14 dex 10 int 10 con and 12 wis i put my lvl 4 skill point into str. My current lvls is ranger 5 rogue 1.

Question 1
For the improved two weapon fighting feat do i need to have the required dex and if so what contributes to achiving the required dex.

Question 2
About manyshot how does it work.

Im planning on next level up to get arcane archer.

Question 3
How does force arrows work do you create them or turn regular arrows into them

Question 4
True strike arrows how do they work you shoot them and then they return why would you need 2 truestrike arrows?

Now about future lvl ups

Question 5
On most trap (class here) builds there is always 2 rogue is there a need for this as ranger already gets evasion.

Question 6
In the long term will not being pure rogue hurt my disableing skills?

Question 7
If i dont need a second rogue lvl is it worth it to splash one level of another class os do i need that 19th ranger lvl?

Question 8
If so what class should i splash

Thanks to anyone who would like the help awnser some of my questions it will be very apreciated.
I would put this in ranger disussion but i am f2p.
Btw please no "this builds sucks reroll it" posts
~Killerzee

MissErres
11-16-2009, 09:42 PM
So a week or so ago i rolled up a dwarf trap ranger with 18 str 14 dex 10 int 10 con and 12 wis i put my lvl 4 skill point into str. My current lvls is ranger 5 rogue 1.

Question 1
For the improved two weapon fighting feat do i need to have the required dex and if so what contributes to achiving the required dex.

If you open up your feats tab and click unavailable then mouse-over the feat you're wonding about, it will tell you the requirements for it. The contributing dex factor will be base + inherent (tomes).

Question 2
About manyshot how does it work.

Im planning on next level up to get arcane archer.

Manyshot is an activatable feat. Put it on your hotbar and click to activate.

Question 3
How does force arrows work do you create them or turn regular arrows into them

Question 4
True strike arrows how do they work you shoot them and then they return why would you need 2 truestrike arrows?

Now about future lvl ups

Question 5
On most trap (class here) builds there is always 2 rogue is there a need for this as ranger already gets evasion.

Rogues get evasion at lvl 2, Rangers at lvl 9 (IIRC). On a side note: when multiclassing rogue into anything, always take rogue as the first lvl to take advantage of all the skill points they get at creation.

Question 6

It is quite doable, but you may not be able to get the more difficult traps at endgame.

Question 7
If i dont need a second rogue lvl is it worth it to splash one level of another class os do i need that 19th ranger lvl?

Check the many builds listed here on the forums. There are several ways to go with it depending on what you want to do.

Question 8

Thanks to anyone who would like the help awnser some of my questions it will be very apreciated.
~Killerzee

:cool::)

killerzee
11-16-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the questions that you awnsered.
But about the imp twf fead do i need the required dex because i get it automaticly?

tihocan
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
You probably want at least 18 levels of ranger to get Tempest III. You'll get ITWF and GTWF automatically.

Possible issues with your build:
- Int is going to be too low to allow you to keep important rogue skills maxed out with only 1 level of rogue (though you can keep UMD, search and DD up, you may want to invest some points as well into Open Locks, spot, maybe a bit of balance...).
- your base Con is too low, you'll probably regret it at higher levels

It's not totally broken but you can probably do better by dropping starting Str to 16 and bumping your Int + Con.
You can still continue, but make sure at least you pick toughness and the racial enhancements that come with it. You'll probably want an additional level of rogue at some points to help with skill points.

Quintun
11-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the questions that you awnsered.
But about the imp twf fead do i need the required dex because i get it automaticly?

Ranger can ignore the Dex requirement because they get the TWF line as granted feats.

MissErres
11-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Ranger can ignore the Dex requirement because they get the TWF line as granted feats.

NO. Even though rangers are granted these feats, they still require the dex to use them. TWF requires a dex of 15, ITWF a dex of 17 and a BAB of 6. The dex used to calculate this is base + any inherent bonuses.

Also, Manyshot requires Rapid shot, pointblank shot and a dex of 17.

Visty
11-17-2009, 01:42 AM
NO. Even though rangers are granted these feats, they still require the dex to use them. TWF requires a dex of 15, ITWF a dex of 17 and a BAB of 6. The dex used to calculate this is base + any inherent bonuses.

wrong

my ranger runs around without PBS and can manyshot just fine

what you get for free you dont have to meet the prerequesite

even with dex8 you can GTWF just fine

neesletweed
11-17-2009, 01:54 AM
18 ranger 1 rogue 1 monk is a really nice build.

as for splashes i would think about monk for wis bonus to ac and an extra feat.

or maybe fighter. that'll get you an extra feat and fighter haste boost enhancement. i'm pretty sure the enhamcement stacks with tempest

edit: nevermind rogues get haste boost enhancement anyway

MissErres
11-17-2009, 02:17 AM
wrong

my ranger runs around without PBS and can manyshot just fine

what you get for free you dont have to meet the prerequesite

even with dex8 you can GTWF just fine

I stand corrected. Thx Visty. :o (Learn something new everyday.)

Polarkin
11-17-2009, 11:25 AM
Question 1

As a ranger you get the feat automatically and do not have to meet the required dex

Question 6

Most likely it won't as even most rogues don't fully invest in all their trap disabling skills due to the effects it has on their DPS potential

Question 7

Since you are already giving up the Ranger capstone (lvl 20) you don't gain anything further by taking that 19th level as a Ranger. I would also suggest that you don't gain anything meaningful with a 2nd rogue level either as Rangers get Evasion at level 9 (iirc).

Question 8

I would personally recommend 1 level of Monk, although 1 level of Fighter can be advantageous as well. If you do decide to go with Monk I'd take it as your 13th level (1 rogue, 2-12 ranger, 13 monk, 14-20 ranger) as the biggest benefit of taking the monk splash (add your wisdom modifier to your AC when unarmored) won't really be viable until your wisdom statistic is higher.

I know you don't want to reroll, but I would encourage you to at least consider it. Lower constitution means less overall hitpoints, lower int means fewer skill points (which this build relies upon heavily), lower wisdom means fewer sp initially and will require a +wisdom item to cast your 3rd and 4th level ranger skills, and finally a very low charisma with a -2 mod will adversely affect your UMD skill for wand/scroll usage. If you do decide to reroll you might consider 14str 14dex 12con 12int 14wis 10cha.... just a thought to consider.

killerzee
11-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Question 1
I know you don't want to reroll, but I would encourage you to at least consider it. Lower constitution means less overall hitpoints, lower int means fewer skill points (which this build relies upon heavily), lower wisdom means fewer sp initially and will require a +wisdom item to cast your 3rd and 4th level ranger skills, and finally a very low charisma with a -2 mod will adversely affect your UMD skill for wand/scroll usage. If you do decide to reroll you might consider 14str 14dex 12con 12int 14wis 10cha.... just a thought to consider.

About the con is it possible to find a +1 tome and some con items to get con up would that sufice?
Wis is easy to fix i actualy thought i put it too high as the the only reason i want wis is for opening up the spell slots.
And about int and cha i dont want other skills and umd i have acess to healing wands because of ranger.
Can anyone help me with the arcane archer stuff?

Quintun
11-17-2009, 06:29 PM

Granted feats bypass the requirements.

killerzee
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Granted feats bypass the requirements.

Sorry to be rude but this has already stated twice please read other posts beforhand.

Quintun
11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
Sorry to be rude but this has already stated twice please read other posts beforhand.

I was directly answering someone who answered me. I did not read all posts in the thread before answering. I am the one who stated it earlier and was then corrected with incorrect information. If the moderators feel they need to do something, let them. You do not need to point things out or attempt to moderate the thread.

killerzee
11-18-2009, 06:03 AM
It was already cleared up there was no need for you to post it.
Also i was not intending to be rude but i knew some people would take it that way.
Im leaving this thread as its begining to turn into a flame war.

VonBek
11-18-2009, 08:12 AM
1 About the con is it possible to find a +1 tome and some con items to get con up would that sufice?
2 Wis is easy to fix i actualy thought i put it too high as the the only reason i want wis is for opening up the spell slots.
And about 3 int and cha i dont want other skills and umd i have acess to healing wands because of ranger.
Can anyone help me with the arcane archer stuff?

The CON - you can try. My DEX based drow tempest ranger started with 12, added a +6 CON item and still has too few HP. He needs some serious upgrades in the AC dept to get things back on track.
WIS you can manage with stat enhancing gear to open the slots. If you need more spell points, look for a spell point boosting item. Learn to equip it, shrine, buff, and swap it out when your total SP drops below your un-boosted SP total.
INT helps with skill points granted a first, and every level thereafter. You will need to keel open lock (DEX skill) and disable device (INT skill) skills maxxed out with level up skill points and the best OL/DD/Thieves Tools you can find. Or, learn you limits, and live with them. Which is perfectly OK - it just depends on how important you consider LO/DD - some, many, most or all.

Check out Aranticus' Template thread (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=147492), and look ad builds numbered 15, 19, & 24. They are not a perfect match for where you're at, right now. They do contain the thought process that can help you iron out some of the details or pick up some helpful tips..

daniel7
11-18-2009, 08:27 AM
Search - 1 skill point
Disable Device - 2 skill points
Open lock - 2 skill points
No need for another level of rogue.
1 level of monk will give you 5 ac if you get wisdom to 20 and one granted class feat. This class feat can be dodge which you will need to take as a prerequisite for Tempest enhancements.
Another good monk feat to take is toughness. If this was my build I would take the following feats:
1.dodge
3.mobility
6.spring attack
9.improve crit slash
12.oversized twf
15.toughness
18.??? - I usually dont recommend a 2nd toughness feat but your con is low.
ABSOLUTELY MAKE SURE YOU TAKE 18 LEVELS OF RANGER.
Hope that helps!

Quintun
11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
It was already cleared up there was no need for you to post it.
Also i was not intending to be rude but i knew some people would take it that way.
Im leaving this thread as its begining to turn into a flame war.

Again I posted before reading someone else correct her. The reason you feel it might be a flame war is your own posts. Other people are simply trying to make sure YOU the OP get the right information and not the wrong. You should appreaciate the help.