PDA

View Full Version : The Most Fun MMO I've Ever Played...

madmartyr72
11-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a few minutes and post my impressions on DDO. I'm a new player (my second week) to DDO and wow has it been a good ride so far!

First, a little about myself. I am an MMO vet and a 15 year PnP AD&D vet (old 1st and 2nd edition DM, based off Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms campaign settings). In 96, I was introduced to MMO's in the form of Ultima Online through a friend and sadly, ended my good ole pnp D&D days :( Since that time, I have played numerous MMO's (EQ1 and EQ2, WoW, SWG, LotRO, and most recently, Aion...not to mention at least trying out many others), and I have always been on the lookout for a game that had that little special something; a little bit of that magic and imagination that I enjoyed for so many years playing pnp D&D. EQ1 came close for me, but in the end, it too was lacking...

About three weeks ago a really good friend of mine informed me that he had just downloaded DDO and that it was F2P. When DDO first came out, I paid it no mind (I think I was still playing WoW). This time around, I was inbetween MMO's having just canceled my Aion account after the first month (anyone that has played that game would understand why lol!) so I figured I would give DDO a try. I am glad I did...

I must say...what a gem of a game this is! Everything from the character creation to the story driven instanced quests has been outstanding. IMO, the quests in DDO has been by far the most well done and thought out questing system I have ever seen in a MMO. Most questing in other games consists of "Go to so-and-so and come back. Go kill 30 rats and come back" etc, etc, blah, blah, no flavor...no imagination. Not in DDO. I have always believed a good game should spark and grab the players imagination and attention. DDO is the first MMO I have ever played that does just that. The look and feel, the music and ambience, the puzzles, everything just seems to come together right. In some ways, DDO almost feels like a platform console game :)

All in all, I have been very impressed with DDO. I love how you can play at your own pace. Like to group? Plenty of players for that. Like to solo? You can do that too...the hireling system is great. Just grab you up a cleric hireling, strap it to your back, and have at it (or, a whole party of hirelings if you goto the DDO Store). It took me about a week of F2P (and many character rebuilds lol) to upgrade to VIP and Veteran Status. Right now, I've got a halfling 2 rogue/5 ranger and am having a blast. I just started doing Three Barrel Cove and I love the whole pirate feel. It's been a very long time since a game got me excited to experience it.

For anyone that has never played DDO before and is thinking of giving it a try, go for it! There is nothing to lose. You never know, maybe DDO will become for you what it has become for me and maybe many others...the most fun MMO I've ever played...

Memnir
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Excellent to hear! :)
Glad your enjoying the game, and it's ruined me for any other current MMO. They just feel watered down.

gripssl
11-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Right on man, I feel the same as I just started as well.

Do tell about why you stopped playing Aion, I am interested.

tihocan
11-16-2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome :)

Twerpp
11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
I love when PnP vets join. This is the best D&D video game there is.

Zenako
11-16-2009, 10:38 AM
Welcome and good to hear another view than the negative rants too many feel compelled to make. Is it perfect, nah, but does it accomplish its goals, yup and better than anything else out there at this time.

Clement
11-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Yep, welcome, MM.

I've only tried a couple of other MMOs but the character build diversity and combat style makes it difficult for me to stay away from DDO for long, and for me the usually-very-helpful community is a big plus.

I do miss the creative freedom of PnP but without the time for doing that these days, the flexibility and ability to hang with a regular group of guild buddies is perfect.

madmartyr72
11-16-2009, 11:30 AM
Right on man, I feel the same as I just started as well.

Do tell about why you stopped playing Aion, I am interested.

Well, in all respect, I probably shouldn't had sounded like I was bashing Aion. Aion is an infant MMO having just went live in Sep. I started the day it was released. It needs alot of fine tuning yet but the reason I left was the way the game basically forced you into the dreaded "xp grind" and for better words, lack of depth. Killing the same mobs over and over and over for 6 hours straight has never been my idea of fun :/

Thanks for the welcome everyone :) I've really had a blast so far. The only other MMO I was really into was EQ1 which I played off and on for about 5 years. Looking back to that game, I think the only thing that kept me into it for so long was the other people that played and that it was the first true 3d MMO. As far as the fun factor goes, DDO will be the new standard I think I will base all other games off of.

Having been a vet of pnp AD&D, DDO was instantly familiar and easy to get into. I'm not sure how the learning curve would be for those not familiar with D&D, but I was able to take to it like a fish in water. Some things are different from the pnp D&D I use to play coming from 1st and 2nd edition. For instance, only demi-humans were allowed to multiclass and humans were allowed to dualclass, you got a Str bonus for dmg when using composite bows, etc, etc. Just little things I remember is all :) I think for the most part though, they have done a good job porting over pnp D&D rules and feel.

LOL...I remember back in the day telling my closest friends that UO was the closest thing you could get to playing D&D without playing D&D. Now, I'm telling them the same about DDO (btw, pnp D&D gave me my life long friends. At one time, I was lucky to have five outstanding guys as my players and we were all right out of highschool that played D&D once or twice a week in my parents basement. That was 20 years ago...).

DoctorWhofan
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Welcome! THis game is far from perfect...but it is LOADS better than any other MMO out there.

BLAKROC
11-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Glad your having fun and welcome to DDO.

Andromyr
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
Welcome, Have fun and watch out for those powder kegs :)

Gunga
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Nice. Welcome to the best out there. +1 Rep.

OzmarDDO
11-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Welcome!

I'm adding a link to this post to every "I h8te DDO it SUXXORS!!!1!" post I come across from now on.

-Ozmar the Grateful

Widmore
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Welcome, Have fun and watch out for those powder kegs :)
Ooof >.<
I wish someone had told me on my first days to put the 2-H away while around them. ;)

Andromyr
11-16-2009, 01:37 PM
Ooof >.<
I wish someone had told me on my first days to put the 2-H away while around them. ;)

Now I just shoot them while the guys are standing next to them :) (evil grin)

Naomi783
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
I also started playing recently (beginning of Oct.). Since that time, I have become hooked. In fact, I searched out a box copy of DDO at my local EB Games for $4.99. That allowed me to try out a month of VIP on the cheap. Since that time I've become a subscriber and have even bought some store points to supplement my habit. I'm having so much fun that I'm contemplating closing my WoW account! :)

Malazarti
11-19-2009, 12:35 PM
I also started playing recently (beginning of Oct.). Since that time, I have become hooked. In fact, I searched out a box copy of DDO at my local EB Games for $4.99. That allowed me to try out a month of VIP on the cheap. Since that time I've become a subscriber and have even bought some store points to supplement my habit. I'm having so much fun that I'm contemplating closing my WoW account! :)

Close that WoW account, seriously. Not much going on in WoW right now that you prolly haven't done to death already ;) Give it a rest and enjoy something fresh and different and perhaps a bit more challenging even! And I'm not bashing WoW because I do think it's a great game for what it is, but after also trying and loving DDO recently, I'm liking it much more in many ways. It has the best dungeon crawl feel of any mmo bar none, and at it's core that's what D&D was about. It really does recreate that magic.

Nahual
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Welcome all!

I think most people and pretty sure the vets that have stayed with the game have a PnP background at some point.

It really makes you feel like you are playing D&D.

Yes it has its downside also, but I can't play any other game really. It just isn't the same.

THe addiction grows stronger as you level so be carefull.

See you in the Shroud!

Tankadin
11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Yo guys I'm thinking of giving F2P a try. I also played WoW and their was one build I loved for some reason it was a tankadin build, It was both the oxymoron of having a paladin tank which many thought would amount to nothing in a raid and the method that a paladin tanks with that made me enjoy it.

Now I want to recreate that feeling with some type of Caster Tank Build, something about pulling 5-7 mobs at a time being near the edge of death while just watching the casters wail on them with aoe damage with only the occasional mob going after them that tickles my fancy.

Really what I'm asking for is an AOE Tank build and if someone can make or point me to one i'd appreciate it.

kiori
11-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Have to agree with the op regards ddo its a fantastic game, Im fairly new to mmo, eq2 was my first, if I had known about and tried ddo first, I would never have tried eq2, its a decent game, but ddo is more inline with my pnp experiences.

Its certainly different in some ways, jumping around like a madman through firewalls is certainly different to my experiences as a caster in Eq2 and Vanguard( good game now, shame about the start and its current population ), dealing with sp conservation as oppposed to taking mana battery classes in group( enchanters and bards ).

And Disco ball is the funniest spell I have seen.

Kaikura
11-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi and i'm new also. I think i've played most of the games you mentioned also. I have friends that play lotro and played it myself. I just couldn't get into the combat system of those games anymore. The combat system in this game is so great. It makes combat so much more interesting to me. I just did a group mission to slay 200 kolbolds. It was so much fun we did it twice. My friends keep trying to get me back into lotro but i keep telling them no and to try this game its free. They keep saying no.