PDA

View Full Version : Two completely unrelated questions

UncleTaint
11-15-2009, 10:56 PM
First off, from the two (non-working) days I've been playing: love the game. This is the first MMO I've played that really delivers content in bite-sized portions that are easy for the casual gamer to swallow whole.

I've been tooling around with my toon trying to pick things up as I go. Are there any decisions at the beginner stage that will irrevocably gimp me later on that I should be aware of now? Or, is there an "undo" for most of the stuff I foul up while finding my way around my class?

Second -- and this may seem a tad odd -- but is there any class that would be easier to play than others from a laptop without a real mouse and full keyboard?

DoctorWhofan
11-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Welcome

1. I would make sure you do not use the pre built paths for the classes. Make sure you invest ability points into the class's main stat. Always improve your gear, ask for advice and ask questions before every level. Don't get upset if you have to re-roll. It happens even to vets still. Most of all, have fun!

2. not really. The point and click is needed. BUTthere is keymapping in your option menu. you can change the coinfigurations to your liking. BUT just using the key board...I'd say a caster.

tihocan
11-16-2009, 08:09 AM
First off, from the two (non-working) days I've been playing: love the game. This is the first MMO I've played that really delivers content in bite-sized portions that are easy for the casual gamer to swallow whole.

I've been tooling around with my toon trying to pick things up as I go. Are there any decisions at the beginner stage that will irrevocably gimp me later on that I should be aware of now? Or, is there an "undo" for most of the stuff I foul up while finding my way around my class?

Second -- and this may seem a tad odd -- but is there any class that would be easier to play than others from a laptop without a real mouse and full keyboard?
1. Making any level up decision by yourself while having little knowledge of the game is likely to be a mistake, some of them can't be fixed. Either follow a pre-built path or (better) follow a build posted by an experienced player on the forums. Don't worry how you spend your action points since they can be easily reset.

2. I'd say a barbarian.

Wizzly_Bear
11-16-2009, 08:15 AM
welcome to DDO

levels, classes, race, ability, and skills all cannot be changed. feats can be, but can be difficult/expensive to do so. enhancements and gear are fairly easily changed.

I'd advise a healbot cleric/soul or a melee barbarian. Imo they are the "easiest" to play in terms of the player's manual dexterity.

sephiroth1084
11-16-2009, 08:20 AM

1) Don't drop your Con score. A 12 is probably the minimum you want on any character. Make sure you don't drop the primary stat for whatever class you settle into (Wis for clerics, Int for wizards, Cha for sorcs, etc...).

Aside from that, it'd be very difficult to point to anything general, as the classes are all very different (and even specific builds within classes), and therefor have their own pitfalls. My big suggestion here is to either use one of the suggested builds, or come on the boards with more questions about whichever type of character you decide you want to play.

2) A cleric probably, as you have to spend lest time jockying around for position, and fewer of your spells require you to be facing your target than would be the case for a melee character or caster. That said, you could also try using a gamepad with the game. It doesn't have the same requirements a mouse does in terms of tabletop space, and works very well with the game.

[Edit] Oh! And welcome! :)

Draccus
11-16-2009, 08:23 AM
There is a "do-over" mechanic being added to the game today. With that addition, everything about your character can be changed in some way, I think. But the process can be quite involved so it's best to know how difficult things are to change without a complete respec.

Unchangeable:
Alignment
Race
Class
Skill point allocation (Bluff, Haggle, Jump, etc.)
Ability score allocation (Str, Dex, Con, etc.)

Changeable, but with restrictions:
Feats
Sorcerer and FvS spells

Easily changed:
Enhancments (Action Points)
Wizard and Cleric spells

I'm sure others can add to this list.

Therigar
11-16-2009, 08:38 AM
Let me answer your second question first.

Melee focused characters are significantly easier to play using limited resources (laptop without full keyboard functions). You really only need to be able to WASD your way around or use mouse look navigation and left/right mouse buttons for interaction and combat. Most of the time you will use the same weapon sets so you don't need so many shortcut bars open or do so much switching. All in all the easier classes.

I would recommend these classes to you: fighter, ranger, barbarian and rogue. They will prove easiest to play. I would also recommend getting something like a Logitech dual action control. This will let you escape the keyboard.

Now, to your first question. There are a lot of build recommendations on the forums. They lay out everything from starting stats to feat and enhancment and skill selections. And, they describe the logic behind the choices. Bottom line is that you need to consider everything when building a character and every choice matters. On top of that most are not reversable. So make your decisions carefully.

Sigtrent has a great build thread in the Character Builds forum. Aranticus has some really great new player builds in the New Player Advice forum. Check both out for some pretty good ideas.

Crann
11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
From the perspective of someone who has about a month and a half into the game.....be prepared to reroll. Don't get too involved in your first toon, because there is a world of information out there concerning builds, and how they play. Don't get obsessed with getting your first toon right.....because it won't be, and it is far easier to reroll after a few levels than it is to "fix" a bad toon. Read the forums, get an idea how the game plays, and how you will be playing it, and then develop your "main" character once you get a better feel for the game. Try a couple different race/class combos to see what you like.
In case you didn't know, you can have 2 characters on each server if you are free to play, so that should give you enough of a variety of toons to fool around with. That increases to 4 per server with any purchase from the ddo store, and then 10 if you subscribe. There is a ton of information you need to process to play this game, and my experience has been that there are many helpful veterans who post on these forums, and who are eager to help those new to the game.