PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Build

therabidfrog
11-15-2009, 02:16 PM
I've just started playing and I am a level 2 Paladin. Order of the flaming sword I believe it is called. A friend of mine started playing at the same time, and yesterday we reached the harbor in Stormreach. It became pretty clear early on that soon enough we're going to need to get into larger groups.

I would appreciate advice on building my Paladin. Maybe multiclassing. I'm sort of a novice MMO player. I've played all the major MMOs but I seem to make a lot of bad choices in character creation. I would appreciate any advice you could give.

ReaperAlexEU
11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
well, finding a build on the forum then following it will help avoid mistakes. check out the sticky at the top of this forum section for some nice first character builds.

after that its all down to gear and player skill, both of those only come from spending time playing the game :)

therabidfrog
11-15-2009, 03:00 PM
well, finding a build on the forum then following it will help avoid mistakes. check out the sticky at the top of this forum section for some nice first character builds.

after that its all down to gear and player skill, both of those only come from spending time playing the game :)

Thank. That helps. I guess Paladins aren't all that popular. Would a Paladin/Rogue mix be a terrible idea?

Gornn
11-15-2009, 03:09 PM
No paladin rogue mixes are pretty popular. THOUGH usually people start with rogue first because you get 24 extra skill points at level 1, that you dont gte as a pally. 2 levels for evasion is good. As well the opprtunity to max the use magic device and intimidate skills are good also

therabidfrog
11-15-2009, 03:18 PM
No paladin rogue mixes are pretty popular. THOUGH usually people start with rogue first because you get 24 extra skill points at level 1, that you dont gte as a pally. 2 levels for evasion is good. As well the opprtunity to max the use magic device and intimidate skills are good also

Thank you. I want to try that mix to use the dual wield capability. I have a lot of reading to do. I've never played regular D&D table top. In fact the two times I did try ended.... less than well. I'm not too familiar with the statistics sine D&D seems far more complex than most computer RPGs.

therabidfrog
11-15-2009, 04:27 PM
How about a Paladin/Ranger

ReaperAlexEU
11-15-2009, 05:13 PM
1 rogue gives u access to full ranks in intimidate and UMD. 2 rogue gives you evasion. if you milk those abilities then it can be worth loosing the paly cap stone (extra DPS) and extra potency to smites/lay on hands for.

to get the skills you'll need to start as lvl1 rogue and sink 2 skill points per paly level into each of them.

to get evasion working well you'll need to start out with a bit of dex, if you start with min dex then your reflex save might be a bit on the low side to milk evasion properly.

deep splashes of ranger (well, 11 ranger levels) can work well with paly, you wont need to start with very high dex to get the full TWF line.

i started on 14 dex and have the full TWF line from ranger levels. due to the deep splash of ranger (well, technically its a deep splash of paly) i got evasion from my ranger levels so only took 1 level of rogue for the 2 skills. my char is 12rgr/7paly/1rog, but its a 32 point char with quite a few tomes behind it. problem with builds like that is they need to cover so many bases, doing it with a 28 point build might stretch things too thin. personally i'd start with a more focused character then roll up one like that when you've got access to 32 point builds (hit 1750 favour to unlock it on that server for free).

try to keep things simple for your first char, grab a newbie friendly template and use that to unlock 32 point builds and gather some cash and other resources together as you learn the game. then armed with cash, items and knowledge make a 32 point char.

mechgouki
11-16-2009, 02:48 AM
I personally think that Rogue and Paladin splashes are good, as long as you have a high charisma. The Paladin gives high saves bonus from Charisma, and the Rogue makes your Reflex saves no taking of damage.

tihocan
11-16-2009, 08:04 AM
It's hard to give any specific advice since there are tons of things you can do. Among these tons of things, most would be horrible ideas, but still many of them would work ;)
Best is you come up with something by yourself (looking at existing builds on forums can be an inspiration) and post here what's your plan, so we can tell you if it makes sense.