PDA

View Full Version : DDO vs Baulders Gate vs WOW

jlorink
11-15-2009, 08:01 AM
please im looking for players to comment, not game marketers.

i grew up playing D&D (yes, started with the orginal rpg) as far a vid games, i have played a few of the baulders gate series....loved them. played WOW for a while....loved it but for me, one of the things wow lacked was the game and class familiarartiy. i think thats why i like BG so much was that i knew what a fighter was, a theif, knew the spells and most of the encounters.

my question is how does DDO stack up against the others? ive wanted to play for a while but never have.

thanks in advance guys and gals.

moorewr
11-15-2009, 08:10 AM
DDO honors much of the spirit and letter of D&D - 3.5 edition. I give it high marks. Neverwinter Nights, from what I know of it, is closer in some ways, but not an MMO, of course.

I've played D&D since 1981, and I love DDO. Jump on in.

asphodeli
11-15-2009, 08:11 AM
sometimes, you have to try something in order to learn about something :) why not try out DDO?

Rameses
11-15-2009, 08:14 AM
It's too bad DDO isn't free to try. I mean then you could try the game out and if you don't like it; then you are out nothing except the time to download the client.

Yes, Yes the game is similar to D&D 3.5 with it's own house rules here and there.

I am, Rameses!

moorewr
11-15-2009, 08:16 AM
* moorewr decides it's more fun to assume Rameses was a) serious and b) hiding under a rock since May.

Yes, the game is free - you don't even put in a credit card number when you sign up - so download the game already. :)

ReaperAlexEU
11-15-2009, 08:23 AM
well unlike BG its based on 3.5 rules, so if your used to THAC0 then you'll have a lot of re-learning to do :)

rules aside the biggest difference is the way you play DDO, its not a point and click game. let me set the scene in a familiar way....

before you lies a corridor, you sense something is not right about it. so you make a search check and discover some traps. one appears to be a spike trap in the floor, and another looks like its going to spew out a jet of something harmful. you've also noticed a trap control box on the far side of the trap, looks like your going to be working to get this trap disabled. you inch closer to the trap until it springs, then you leap backwards. now you can see the trap in its full glory. spikes thrust out of the floor then retract while the area gets bathed in fire. there is a nice pattern to it though, if you time things just right you can run into the trap when the spikes are up, then leap out before they retract and thrust again. the fire might be problematic but hey, thats what the resist fire potion in your backpack is for. if it all goes wrong? well, lets just hope your reflex save and evasion are enough for this trap on elite, cos if you fail the roll, its gonna hurt.

none of that is done in a point and click style, its you at the controls, its you looking for the timing and when to make a run and when to leap. in combat your constantly repositioning your self to keep the mobs where you want them and not let the mobs get you where they want you. this is dungeon crawling, and your in the drivers seat not far removed from the action like in other RPG games.

so, its well worth the download to see if the style of game play appeals. you will have a steep learning curve ahead of you, both on the rules and in game controls. any FPS experience you have will make movement feel natural, if not then your gonna learn it, no need for the boom-headshot aim though, the game isnt that demanding. however you can learn all that stuff, and in my opinion its well worth it. besides, its all free now, can't hurt to try, can it? :)

i've done BG1 and NWN1, loved both games, though strangely never got into the sequels. i've not played WOW so i can't compare that. i've also done PnP 2nd ed, 3.0 and 3.5, so at least the basic rules were known to me. i do like a game where the nut and bolts behind the engine are in a rule book. yes there is a lot about how those rules work in game you have to learn, after all the DM is making the quest for thousands of players not just a handful. so just as some skills/feats are good/bad between different DnD groups so are some skills/feats good/bad in DDO. i've also played quite a few FPS games in my past. DDO for me was the perfect mix of game types. i als can't go back to point and click games now. my GF on the other hand didnt have the DnD or FPS background i did, but she gave it a go, now she too can't go back to point and click games.

so, sorry if that sounded like a marketing reply, but DDO gave me an experience i'd not found before. there is something special about being in the dungeon, not above it, and controlling your characters every move instead of issuing orders.

Shumanfoo
11-15-2009, 08:25 AM
It's too bad DDO isn't free to try. I mean then you could try the game out and if you don't like it; then you are out nothing except the time to download the client...

I didn't see a /sarcasm anywhere :)

Rameses
11-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I didn't see a /sarcasm anywhere :)

Somethings go without saying.

I am, Rameses!

esoitl
11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
well unlike BG its based on 3.5 rules, so if your used to THAC0 then you'll have a lot of re-learning to do :)

rules aside the biggest difference is the way you play DDO, its not a point and click game. let me set the scene in a familiar way....

before you lies a corridor, you sense something is not right about it. so you make a search check and discover some traps. one appears to be a spike trap in the floor, and another looks like its going to spew out a jet of something harmful. you've also noticed a trap control box on the far side of the trap, looks like your going to be working to get this trap disabled. you inch closer to the trap until it springs, then you leap backwards. now you can see the trap in its full glory. spikes thrust out of the floor then retract while the area gets bathed in fire. there is a nice pattern to it though, if you time things just right you can run into the trap when the spikes are up, then leap out before they retract and thrust again. the fire might be problematic but hey, thats what the resist fire potion in your backpack is for. if it all goes wrong? well, lets just hope your reflex save and evasion are enough for this trap on elite, cos if you fail the roll, its gonna hurt.

none of that is done in a point and click style, its you at the controls, its you looking for the timing and when to make a run and when to leap. in combat your constantly repositioning your self to keep the mobs where you want them and not let the mobs get you where they want you. this is dungeon crawling, and your in the drivers seat not far removed from the action like in other RPG games.

so, its well worth the download to see if the style of game play appeals. you will have a steep learning curve ahead of you, both on the rules and in game controls. any FPS experience you have will make movement feel natural, if not then your gonna learn it, no need for the boom-headshot aim though, the game isnt that demanding. however you can learn all that stuff, and in my opinion its well worth it. besides, its all free now, can't hurt to try, can it? :)

i've done BG1 and NWN1, loved both games, though strangely never got into the sequels. i've not played WOW so i can't compare that. i've also done PnP 2nd ed, 3.0 and 3.5, so at least the basic rules were known to me. i do like a game where the nut and bolts behind the engine are in a rule book. yes there is a lot about how those rules work in game you have to learn, after all the DM is making the quest for thousands of players not just a handful. so just as some skills/feats are good/bad between different DnD groups so are some skills/feats good/bad in DDO. i've also played quite a few FPS games in my past. DDO for me was the perfect mix of game types. i als can't go back to point and click games now. my GF on the other hand didnt have the DnD or FPS background i did, but she gave it a go, now she too can't go back to point and click games.

so, sorry if that sounded like a marketing reply, but DDO gave me an experience i'd not found before. there is something special about being in the dungeon, not above it, and controlling your characters every move instead of issuing orders.

Quite accurate of an assessment.

BG is as close to a computerized version of D&D as you can get in my opinion. It follows the rules very closely and the big shortcoming of the transition is the live DM. Although it's not strictly turn based it's set up to be fairly close time wise and there's always the nice pause to set up your turn.

DDO follows 3.5 rules D&D with quite a few changes. The jump to real time is more distinct with the turn system thrown out and the MMO feel brought in. I think Icewind Dale II used the same rules so if you played that they might not be totally foreign, but the jump from 2nd ED to 3.5 ED is pretty big. The nice thing is, they adapt well to the MMO environment. The rules are stretched merely to reflect the change and a lot of the numbers are a bit out there when you compare them to P&P so you have to realize that and adjust to it. Otherwise, it does embody a lot of the D&D feel while still being a very interesting MMO but again, the lack of a live DM will limit the game a lot from traditional D&D.

WoW is a hack. It's based off of a fantasy realm but not D&D. Therefore there is no established rule set they followed but instead they created their own. Many who played it will agree that the rules are nowhere near as in depth, the characters are hard to identify with sometimes, the background and flavour just isn't there as it is in DDO. Beyond that, it has a very simple combat style which leaves a lot of people rather bored.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but hey, that's my opinion.