PDA

View Full Version : Success of Cleric / 2H-Fighter Duo

YakraTheDwarf
11-12-2009, 11:00 AM
My wife and I are long time D&D Players, former WoW-players, and trying our hand at DDO.

We rolled up characters last night - she's playing a heal-focused cleric, I was set on a dwarf fighter.

Back from playing D&D 3.0/3.5, I never felt shield using warriors were up to snuff, compared to two-handed weapon users. I neglected to research if this held true to DDO, and went ahead with a ?tankish? 2H fighter (18 Str, 16 Con, Intimidation, 2H Feats).

Now I'm wondering - am I going to regret going down this path? Ideally, our goal is to duo-things at our own leisure.

Let me know if I can stick with 2H weapons, if I should reroll ASAP to shields, or if I can suitablly play switch with this setup.

Thanks in advance!

-Yakra

Goldeneye
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Two-Handed-Weapons are by far superior Damage to Sword+Shield.

The cool thing about this game, is even if you are not built for shields, you can always throw on a shield if you hit a rough spot. Especially being a fighter, I would take all the THF feats.... but keep a shield in your backpack if you want more AC for a fight.

So far, sounds like you guys got a good team going.

tihocan
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
THF DPS-focus fighter is fine, don't worry about these stupid shields ;)
Your duo setup is ok too, though you may have a hard time at some point and regret having no rogue skills nor arcane spells.

EAB
11-12-2009, 12:09 PM
THF DPS-focus fighter is fine, don't worry about these stupid shields ;)
Your duo setup is ok too, though you may have a hard time at some point and regret having no rogue skills nor arcane spells.

DUH, that's why there is thing call GROUPING! It's really cool, you should try it. :)

YakraTheDwarf
11-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the responses! I'm feeling better about my choice.

How far of a dip would I have to take into Rogue, or her into Sorcerer/Bard, to help make us more self-sufficient? (provide rogue/arcane utility).

MikeTheApostate
11-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Really if you have sufficient int you can get by with one level of rogue, provided it's taken as the first level of your character. Though as a fighter with low skill points per level it's going to be a bit harder, but it can be done. You'd need to focus on disable and search (spot not so needed) and possibly open lock for some of the later dungeons with locked shrines.

I wouldn't suggest she multi with spellcasting classes at all really, that's usually horribly ineffective. I've seen and even tried splashing one level of a different class for SP (or UMD/haggle if splashing bard), but it's hardly worth it either.

moops
11-12-2009, 01:13 PM

How far of a dip would I have to take into Rogue, or her into Sorcerer/Bard, to help make us more self-sufficient? (provide rogue/arcane utility).

If you were to take a rogue level, you'd have wanted to take it at the first level. . .gives tons of skill points to spend.

As for caster levels? Enough for haste? A hard question to answer because most quests that you would need a caster in are high level, so unless its a fairly pure caster their spells aren't going to land.

You Could be a WF and her a Wiz or Sorc, that would solve that Problem, Wiz/Rogue is an awesome very popular build.

Clerics get some pretty good CC in this game --soundburst and Hold person work great at the lower levels on most things--Greater command, Cometfall for higher levels--but Web is still pretty much king.

Cleric/Rogue is also a really awesome build

tihocan
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM

That's probably too late for you or her to dip into rogue, as you need to plan it from start. Mixing cleric with sorc or bard is a horrible idea, don't do it. So unless you're willing to reroll, better stay with what you have how. It's still a decent combo, you can do a lot with it.

MrLarone
11-13-2009, 06:19 AM
surprised no one's mentioned hirelings.

haven't used them my self yet (still newb) but these sound ideal for what you want.

basically you by them from a vendor, i believe there's on in the town square in kothos.

this gives you a clickie (i've done that much).

i guess when you click it you summon a NPC ally for a certain amount of time (i imagine enough for one quest) so if you find you really need a class just buy one!

i think there is a limit of one hireling per person (without spending TP) so you should be all set.

not to discourage you from grouping mind, really is a good community, i'm a lvl 8 cleric now and i've only had 1-2 groups i regretted running with.

hope that helps and someone more knowledgeable corrects me if need be =)

mechgouki
11-13-2009, 06:53 AM
Hireling works that once you start using, it's free use for 1 hour. Reuse any times you want for 1 hour. (He/she also doesn't leave until the mission is over.)

It's very helpful to fill up the missing slots in your party.

Hireling Clerics are also very helpful, because they automatically use Mnemonic potions to recover SP, and continue healing.

Arianrhod
11-13-2009, 07:02 AM
My husband & I are doing something similar with our new duo, though his dwarf went ranger/rogue TWF instead of THF fighter - we're addicted to having those rogue skills, hehe. We anticipate him being the damage dealer for the most part, with the cleric (caster-focused) providing some damage and crowd control at later levels. We'll still be hurting for arcane spellcasting power in some quests (sometimes, there's just no substitute for Firewall, sigh), but hopefully we'll be able to get some use out of hirelings. If not, we can skip those quests, or PUG them.

Hirelings are something you learn a fair amount about as a duo. So far I've learned cleric hirelings can be pretty useful (as long as you don't expect them to buff or do damage), arcane caster hirelings are mostly entertaining and occasionally useful (but very squishy), and melee hirelings aren't much use. There are no rogue, bard, monk or ranger hirelings, so if you ever want to be able to get traps & locks, you'll need a live player for the job.