PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Questions

Sparecash
11-11-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey, Im a little confused about some weapons so I came up with 3 questions:

Whats the difference between a transmuting and metalline weapon?

How much better is a frost or flaming weapon than a normal one? Would you take a +2 frost rapier over a +5 regular rapier?

How high do enhancements go? +5?

I would appreciate any info, thanks.

DasLurch
11-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Hey, Im a little confused about some weapons so I came up with 3 questions:

Whats the difference between a transmuting and metalline weapon?

How much better is a frost or flaming weapon than a normal one? Would you take a +2 frost rapier over a +5 regular rapier?

How high do enhancements go? +5?

I would appreciate any info, thanks.

The difference between the 2 is nothing to my mind. If it is a caster weapon it could be a buff to a certain type of spell, but I don't think it is from how you phrased your question.

As far as having an elemental proc on a weapon, it just does more damage on every normal hit. An additinal D6 is nice. There are times when having a higher + on a weapon is nice, but at lowwer levels the D6 is almost always better.

Weapons will go as high as +5. Any weapons or armors with a higher + on them are refered to as "EPIC" and are generally level 20 or higher. Stat items will progress to a +6 and skill items will be as high as +15. Higher on those type of items are once again refered to as "EPIC" to my knowledge.

Cedwin
11-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Transmuting was replaced by Metalline.

+1 Transmuting Rapier of Pure Good is now +1 Metalline Rapier of Pure Good.

Metalline just means that it bypasses any material damage reduction, so if you need cold iron, or byeshk, it will work for either.

ahpook
11-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Normally the elemental damage is superior to increasing the + enhancement. That is because the "cost" for the elemental dmg is equivalent to a +1 increase in the weapon. Since the elemental dmg will average to 3.5 extra damage per hit it is a better value (assuming you can hit reliably) than the extra 1 dmg from going from +2 to +3.

In your example, a +2 Flaming weapon (+3.5 dmg) is worse than the +5 (+3 dmg and better chance of hitting) but that is because the flamer is min level 4 while the +5 is min level 8. Not really a fair comparison. If you were to compare them both as level 8 weapons it would be a +4 Flaming Weapon vs a +5 weapon. Then the flamer is clearly better.

While issues such as elemental immunity cloud the picture, on average the "cost" of an elemental weapon is a good deal.

Sparecash
11-11-2009, 07:18 PM

Metalline just means that it bypasses any material damage reduction, so if you need cold iron, or byeshk, it will work for either.

Do they also let you hit ghosts and wraiths? Or is that only ghost touch, righteous, pure good, and flaming iron?

Sparecash
11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Normally the elemental damage is superior to increasing the + enhancement. That is because the "cost" for the elemental dmg is equivalent to a +1 increase in the weapon. Since the elemental dmg will average to 3.5 extra damage per hit it is a better value (assuming you can hit reliably) than the extra 1 dmg from going from +2 to +3.

In your example, a +2 Flaming weapon (+3.5 dmg) is worse than the +5 (+3 dmg and better chance of hitting) but that is because the flamer is min level 4 while the +5 is min level 8. Not really a fair comparison. If you were to compare them both as level 8 weapons it would be a +4 Flaming Weapon vs a +5 weapon. Then the flamer is clearly better.

While issues such as elemental immunity cloud the picture, on average the "cost" of an elemental weapon is a good deal.

Okay i see what you mean about the +2 doing .5 more dmg, but the +5 being more reliable but I think you might be mistaken about the "cost" of flaming being a +1. I almost always only search for gear for my level, so when the +2 flaming sword came up in auction house, i can almost guarantee you it was ml 8. (im level 8)

Quintun
11-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Do they also let you hit ghosts and wraiths? Or is that only ghost touch, righteous, pure good, and flaming iron?

Only ghost touch lets you bypass the ghosts incorporal. Pure good or holy lets you hit ghostly skeletons but they are not ghosts for the purpose of ghost touch.

Quintun
11-11-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay i see what you mean about the +2 doing .5 more dmg, but the +5 being more reliable but I think you might be mistaken about the "cost" of flaming being a +1. I almost always only search for gear for my level, so when the +2 flaming sword came up in auction house, i can almost guarantee you it was ml 8. (im level 8)

It is not a MIN level 8 unless it had another modifier or was one of a long line of broken items that were missing modifiers that should have made them a certain min level.

hydra_ex
11-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Also, certain named weapons (namely the dream edge) has the aligned ability, which overcomes alignment DR, taking on some of the mantle of transmuting.

Sparecash
11-11-2009, 08:36 PM
It is not a MIN level 8 unless it had another modifier or was one of a long line of broken items that were missing modifiers that should have made them a certain min level.

Oh it also had the parrying modifier, didnt notice, you're right.

Quintun
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Oh it also had the parrying modifier, didnt notice, you're right.

Yeah its those not so wanted modifiers that screw up a good weapon.