PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Specific Monster types

RobinofSpiritwood
11-11-2009, 08:24 AM
New player, please bear with the confusion. I'm operating a dex based rogue, and having trouble against specific monster types. Level is 8 Rogue/2 Ranger. How to cope with Sneak Attack resistant critters? Are the weaknesses inherent to the build?

Lair of Summoning(elite) - The Greater Fire Elemental at the end.
Using Frost rapier/ acid&pure good Shortsword- but unable to score sufficient damage to kill it. Other party member was a Cleric, using a moriningstar with cold damage. (We pulled it away from the healing fire jets. ) The cold weapons did whopping ZEROs against it, and the acid did a trace.

Mirra's Sleepless Nights(normal)- Undead.
On missions against them my kill count and overall effectiveness sometimes renders me virtually useless.
What to do?
I use Blunts of acid on Skellies, which hits, but not for much. Zombies- I have a Sickle with Cold damage, and a Pure good weapon that gives some "elemental" damage. Got a Holy Silver Bow for Vampires. The other guys have to carry me, and I hate that.

The Depths(any difficulty) - Landslide & his minions.
No clear idea what weapons to use here. The battles have been frantic. Acid seems to help, but I'm still unsure whether blunt/pierce or slash is the way to go?

Constructs. Found everywhere.
I have sometimes good/fair results, but usually bad ones in later missions, like in Ataraxia. They often seem to resist all melee damage, and get just a trace of the elemental stuff getting through. A thousand paper cuts don't seem sufficient. Should I spend on Wrack Construct? Is there metal based weapon resistance?

tihocan
11-11-2009, 09:32 AM
- Elementals' DR cannot be bypassed
- Constructs' DR is often /adamantine, Maruts' is /Chaotic, some golems are /blunt+adamantine

Besides bypassing DR: use bane weapons for these specific monster types you can't sneak attack.

Other than that: hopefully you didn't gimp your Str too much and can pick power attack as a feat. It's a mistake IMHO to only count on sneak attacks as a rogue and say you don't need power attack on a finesse build, but then you become quite useless against crit-immune stuff with DR. So grab power attack, and use destruction first if you got trouble hitting (and divine power clickies).

ivar415
11-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Ugh, would the same hold true for a finesse Tempest-Ranger too? Against the Earth Elementals I had almost the same experience in a fricken STK Elite run.

Should one get Power Attack before the Improved Critical?

tihocan
11-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Ugh, would the same hold true for a finesse Tempest-Ranger too? Against the Earth Elementals I had almost the same experience in a fricken STK Elite run.

Should one get Power Attack before the Improved Critical?
Yup, any dex-based with low str will run into similar issue. At least on a ranger you can pick the appropriate favored enemy, which should help.
Overall Improved Crit is still probably a better choice than Power Attack if you have to delay one, because having those nice on-crit effects like banishing/smiting are quite handy around L10-12.

Kaldais
11-11-2009, 04:50 PM
New player, please bear with the confusion. I'm operating a dex based rogue, and having trouble against specific monster types. Level is 8 Rogue/2 Ranger. How to cope with Sneak Attack resistant critters? Are the weaknesses inherent to the build?

Lair of Summoning(elite) - The Greater Fire Elemental at the end.
Using Frost rapier/ acid&pure good Shortsword- but unable to score sufficient damage to kill it. Other party member was a Cleric, using a moriningstar with cold damage. (We pulled it away from the healing fire jets. ) The cold weapons did whopping ZEROs against it, and the acid did a trace.

Mirra's Sleepless Nights(normal)- Undead.
On missions against them my kill count and overall effectiveness sometimes renders me virtually useless.
What to do?
I use Blunts of acid on Skellies, which hits, but not for much. Zombies- I have a Sickle with Cold damage, and a Pure good weapon that gives some "elemental" damage. Got a Holy Silver Bow for Vampires. The other guys have to carry me, and I hate that.

The Depths(any difficulty) - Landslide & his minions.
No clear idea what weapons to use here. The battles have been frantic. Acid seems to help, but I'm still unsure whether blunt/pierce or slash is the way to go?

Constructs. Found everywhere.
I have sometimes good/fair results, but usually bad ones in later missions, like in Ataraxia. They often seem to resist all melee damage, and get just a trace of the elemental stuff getting through. A thousand paper cuts don't seem sufficient. Should I spend on Wrack Construct? Is there metal based weapon resistance?

Lair of Summoning:
Actually cold will do double damage, as soon as you dwrindle down his 120 point Cold Protection.

Mirras
Well.. that's the problem with dex builds... Take power attack if your base str is atleast 13. That should help a bit.

larger Elementals usually have DR5/- or DR10/- there is no way to bypass that. You just have to out damage the DR. enchantment bonuses on your weapon will help, as well as power attack will add damage per hit. Or you can go special damage heavy. Holy, PG, TrueLaw, TrueChaos should all be able to do the extra 1d6. I think elementals are Neutruals

Constructs usually will have DR/Adamantine. So a metaline weapon or Adamantine weapon will bypass their DR.