PDA

View Full Version : AH pricing idiocy

XodarOrien
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Disclaimer: I am very new to DDO. Long time D&D geek, love the games (DDO and D&D), played DDO free for about 2 min. and then went to a VIP account. Long time WoW Backstabbing Scumbag Rogue (Kagemusha on KJ).

So my 'question': What is up with the ridiculous prices posted by some on the AH? 50,000 initial bid/100,000 buyout for +2 armor? Who has that kind of money to burn on that kind of item? Is this an indicator of gold farmers/gold buying?

For the record, when I list items on the AH...I list them at prices that let me make some gold, but also at prices that I consider affordable for the level of the user (granted: based on my limited experience).

What I am worried about is my listing an item at what I consider a fair/reasonable price (+2 mithral chain shirt for 11,000/12,000) and it being instantly bought buy some scumbag and re-listed at an insane price...and then somebody 'buying' DDO gold to pay that price. I detest gold farmers and gold buyers.

If what I am seeing is a case of gold farming/gold buying, I will start listing notable items for direct sale to guys actually playing the game and earning their gold the righteous/humanitarian way...by murdering sentient beings for money. ;)

Any more experienced players with information, advice, etc. - let me have it.

See you across a sea of kobolds.

'Xodar'

Uska
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Dont try to apply logic to the ah there is none even before f2p there were some insane prices, now that there is f2p its gone totaly out

Qzipoun
11-09-2009, 08:46 PM
A new player who gets to level 2 the first time might have close to 100 plat.

A veteran player who has been playing for several years and rolls a new character and is now level 2 has a couple million plat (easily 10-15).

Since the veteran can afford high prices for the ml 2 item, it is stupid to sell it at low prices. The AH LOOKS like it is unfair to new players but not as much as it seems. As a new player you can sell your lucky pulls to veterans who are willing to pay up. Two days ago I made 250,000 plat in one day selling the collectibles I collected for a few levels. Now I can afford more expensive items that would otherwise be unrealistic for someone just starting out.

XodarOrien
11-09-2009, 08:52 PM
A veteran player who has been playing for several years and rolls a new character and is now level 2 has a couple million plat (easily 10-15).

New-guy question relating to this comment: On Orien, because there's no character transfers, even a 'veteran' player isn't going to have this much cash on Orien, right?

My understanding of the 'account bank' is that you can transfer items between different characters on the same server, but not cross-server. Is this correct?

'Xodar'

Qzipoun
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
New-guy question relating to this comment: On Orien, because there's no character transfers, even a 'veteran' player isn't going to have this much cash on Orien, right?

My understanding of the 'account bank' is that you can transfer items between different characters on the same server, but not cross-server. Is this correct?

'Xodar'

Correct. But keep in mind that there is ALWAYS someone who will have more time to play than you :) Meaning they've reached higher levels, that give better loot and more money :)

Also, a lot of time people are just dumb and keep putting up the same item for crazy prices (by any standards) that never sell, while I haven't played on Cannith or Orien I'm guessing many people will try to go for these high prices not realizing people don't have that kind of money yet (but they will soon enough :))

Edit: Just noticed that this was posted in the Orien forum, making my first post horribly useless, sorry :P *noob out*

Cupcake
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
I agree with the Op.

I am a veteran player. I have a TOTAL of 2,000 plat for me and my other 3 guildmates.

How the HELL are we suppose to afford a +1 weapon or armor ML 4 being sold for 150k or better.

The prices are ridiculous and there is no excuse other than greed.

People seem to forget that its a new server and most people don't have that kind of money. Nor would I PAY that kind of money for an item. I'd rather go without.

When someone lists something I need or my guildmates at a reasonable price, that is what I will buy.

I find it extremely unfair to those of us that do not have the money, to be unable to buy a decent weapon off the AH because the seller has dollar signs for eyes instead of common sense and decency.

KoboldKiller
11-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Unfortunately this is the nature of the game.

Add in the fact that the powergamers are already at high levels these items will sell to twink their new alts thus maintaining the prices. Your best bet for the most part is to just check the ah for steals but not count on it for equipment. I did manage to get a +1 frost Dwarven axe for 12k but that's a rarity.

Crazyfruit
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
what I consider a fair/reasonable price (+2 mithral chain shirt for 11,000/12,000)

Those are actually worth quite a bit more. On an established server people will buy it for 30k or so (I'm assuming you mean gold). Here on Orien, you'd still have people buying them for almost 100k to outfit new characters

But yeah, most of the AH prices are so nutty I don't even bother looking in it. All junk &/or way out there priced stuff... nothing in between :( One nice exception is the mana potions tho. Lots of people keep listing them at or under the base price - my mage says thanks!

moops
11-11-2009, 02:29 AM
I think that you are also seeing people who are new the the AH and the currency system, making either posting mistakes, or estimation of wealth mistakes.

Its pretty easy to make money in this game if you start out with a fairly self Sufficient Character who can heal themselves and also solo stuff during downtime when there are no groups avail.

My Battle Bard had 6000 Plat at level 4, which is not that much, but I did spend it on some items on the AH that others prob thought were too expensive.

techwench
11-11-2009, 05:05 AM
Saw in general chat once that someone was also using AH as a bank by setting the prices outrageously high so no one would want to buy it...but I guess it backfired when one item got sold. :p

Aerendil
11-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Same thing happened on Cannith when it started out. The AH is only now starting to stabilize, but there's still a good chunk of +1/+2 armour and weaponry on the AH for downright silly prices.

Put it this way, unless you have a nice enhancement on a new weapon (i.e. force, or metalline, or __ of pure good) that's in fairly high demand (such as Khopesh, D. Axe, or Scimitar), I'd say you're better off just selling it to a pawn broker. Don't clutter up the AH with trash. There's a reason there are 1395013515079 +1 longswords on the AH - it's because *everyone has one*.

Missing_Minds
11-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Just people trying quick rich schemes and utterly failing.
Or "other game" people using the wrong economics to make a sale.

I never expect this to change, honestly.

Cupcake
11-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Welp, I apologize for getting all in a huff about this issue.

I dont mind being untwinked, I just feel it would be nice if we could all just get along LOL and help each other out price wise, etc.

One of my guildmates pulled +2 mithral fullplate yesterday and I pulled +2 mithral breastplate out of WW of all places.

It does happen, I just wish the frequency of decent drops would increase LOL.

Quikster
11-11-2009, 03:34 PM

I dont mind being untwinked, I just feel it would be nice if we could all just get along LOL and help each other out price wise, etc.

One of my guildmates pulled +2 mithral fullplate yesterday and I pulled +2 mithral breastplate out of WW of all places.

Its all good, here have a cupcake ;) :hands cupcake a cupcake:

KoboldKiller
11-11-2009, 03:36 PM

I haven't pulled any mithril anything. :(

Crazyfruit
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
One of my guildmates pulled +2 mithral fullplate yesterday and I pulled +2 mithral breastplate out of WW of all places

WW has been pretty odd for loot. The first day I saw someone pull +4 dex boots from there... ML 9, no loot gems, and we were just on hard. No one was even level 5 yet at the time :

Harncw
11-12-2009, 07:14 AM
Crazy stuff happens in real and imaginary worlds, and it is a good thing.

Cupcake
11-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Its all good, here have a cupcake ;) :hands cupcake a cupcake:

awww thank you!

Hands you a cupcake back. :D

Cupcake
11-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Well last night I came across a first for this AH 1.5 million for a ML 4, or 6, think 4, item.

Battleworm
11-12-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree with the Op.

I am a veteran player. I have a TOTAL of 2,000 plat for me and my other 3 guildmates.

How the HELL are we suppose to afford a +1 weapon or armor ML 4 being sold for 150k or better.

The prices are ridiculous and there is no excuse other than greed.

People seem to forget that its a new server and most people don't have that kind of money. Nor would I PAY that kind of money for an item. I'd rather go without.

When someone lists something I need or my guildmates at a reasonable price, that is what I will buy.

I find it extremely unfair to those of us that do not have the money, to be unable to buy a decent weapon off the AH because the seller has dollar signs for eyes instead of common sense and decency.

well I don't know of anyone using the AH to give freebies.Simple : if you have the money buy it and if not don't.But to say it's stupid for people to try and make money is well...And if you and 3 guildies have a total of 3k plat,then the item must not be fairly priced,it has to be dirt cheap.I am as greedy as the next person,spent a lot on AH but also making money.In the end it all washes out.I just don't see a purpose in making another thread about AH pricing idiocy or any variant in the title.It is what it is.

Quikster
11-12-2009, 06:34 PM
well I don't know of anyone using the AH to give freebies.Simple : if you have the money buy it and if not don't.But to say it's stupid for people to try and make money is well...And if you and 3 guildies have a total of 3k plat,then the item must not be fairly priced,it has to be dirt cheap.I am as greedy as the next person,spent a lot on AH but also making money.In the end it all washes out.I just don't see a purpose in making another thread about AH pricing idiocy or any variant in the title.It is what it is.

Well i disagree. If peeps are posting things on the ah (on a server that has been up for a whole week) for millions of plat, thats just greed (and idiocy). How many people are able to afford an item for millions of plat in a weeks worth of play time.

On my main server I have several alts with capped gold, but here, I'm stoked when I pick up a weapon I can sell for more then a few gold. I think it encourages plat buying, as well as price gouging.

So for everyones homework tonight work on a post, ridiculing the asking/buyout price things are posted for on the auction. ;)

Mythal
11-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Here's a great tip to those who buy, and sell, on AH....

You all get loot from hunting, loot that more often then not, you dont actually need.

SELL THAT LOOT on AH or at pawn shops for a typically set price of 75% of its base cost (starting bid) to 150% of its base cost (buyout).

So, say a +2 heavy mace of devotion III you get, has base cost of 10,000gold. AH it at starting bid 7,500gold (750 plat) and buyout at 15,000 (1500 plat). Is it worth more? Maybe. Did you make a good chunk of change and not have to worry about it anymore? Definitely!

Now if its an actually GOOD item that is quite obviously RARE (or, maybe just really in-demand...like handwraps holy/of pure good), multiply your starting bid and buyout by 2, or at most by 3.
Then, there are some items that are just godly. Holy burst of pure good as an example. If you even see this on AH, its going to be in the millions, because it really is that rare. If you see something like that on AH...IGNORE IT! More often then not its someone putting an item up there, that they really dont even want to sell, but putting it out there at a huge price so that if it somehow does sell, they'd be satisfied becoming rich for it.

So lets say you get +3 Holy Burst Handwraps of righteousness. Ok i'd say thats worth a 3x multiplier of its base cost, hell maybe even 4x. Some item like that probably has a base cost of about 60,000gold (6000plat) so starting bid at 6000 x 3 x 0.75 = 13,500plat. Buyout at 27,000plat (270,000gold).
An item like that is I'd guess a level 9 or level 11 req item. Now at level 9 or 11, as a monk, you have probably saved up at least 40k plat, possibly 50k+...and for an item like that, it is **** well worth it to dump about 60% or more of your cash savings for that good of an upgrade.

However, most items, and I agree, they are way overpriced on AH.

But ya know what?
I'm gettin rich as hell on orien because I price my stuff low. Ya, perhaps too low, but hey, if im not using it, its of no value...and it just takes up bank space. Might as well get it out there to someone who needs it, and keep fillin up my coffers.

I sell about 15 auctions a day on orien and each few days that I play, I probably add 1 more auction per day to that count. I still get at least 5x more than a pawn shop would give me for the item, so I'm a happy guy!

Smellfire
11-16-2009, 10:45 AM
There are places to get cheap gear.

I have just started last 3 days on Orien and already picked up enough stuff to equip my 2 toons effectively for level bar a few slots. Just have to know where to look and who to ask.

Also join guilds that will trade/swop stuff or just give you upgrades.

Its a new server so few have oodles of cash and I never will pay your crass prices, I will trade or go get myself.

Bloodstone anyone? ;)

JSiN69
11-16-2009, 11:34 AM
I agree that the AH is ridiculiously over priced, but thats how player controlled markets are. Players get ahold of some crappy axe +3 and think its worth millions. I paid 45k for mithral breastplate +2, this item should only cost around 12,000 to 15,000. I know this cause I've played D&D for many years. The cost of magical items isn't the cost of the weapon or armor, it's the cost of the enchantment placed on said item. Some enchantments cost more than others, but there's no way that a vorpal short sword would ever cost 5,000,000 in D&D cause the players would never find that much treasure.
Now you can tell me that it's all about the usefullness or popularity of an item, but it's actually out of greed. Making it more difficult for lower level characters to get ahold of cool gear. I can personally care less about the popularity of my scimitar as long as it gets results. You can keep your crappy AH items and prices, because I found a solution to my problem.
We started trading in our guild. Selling and trading items our characters can't use to other members of our guild so that they can get use of them. We sell the items we found for the price we would get at the vendor, and if we paid for something we charge the price we paid for it. We don't get greedy and rip each other off, and we still make money off the items we find. Rather than selling them back into the game where nobody gets to use it, our guild members get to get use of some cool stuff at low prices. Our lowers level players are going to be better equiped, without having to spend a ton of money they don't have.
I don't care what you think your holy vorpal scimitar of backstabbing righteousness is worth, it's honestly not worth half of what you ******nozzles think it is.

If your interested in joining a guild that takes care of it's members, and helps them level and get cool stuff look up ReDCaP in game and I'll talk to you about it.

The Assassin
ReDCaP

Lleren
11-18-2009, 04:57 AM
Sometimes you estimate higher then you can get for an item, sometimes you estimate less then what you can get for an item. It balances out in the end, if it deosn't ever sell eventually folks will lower their price, if it always sells, or sells quickly they will raise thier prices next time.

New server won't keep our prices any lower then other servers for long, some folks level fast.

Zlingerdark
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
I have to put this in front of the quote. I sell stuff at ridiculously affordable prices. Any item my character doesn't need, and I do not want to transfer to one of my others, or guild members, I put minimum bid THE FULL VALUE OF THE ITEM. Buyout is simply set at DOUBLE that FULL VALUE.

No matter what item it is. That way anybody looking to get and sell items, will be able to get affordable priced nice items that are not ridiculously over-priced. If everybody did this, those jokers putting up insane prices on AH are the real suckers since we would constant under cut their prices.

Just saying!

Here's a great tip to those who buy, and sell, on AH....

You all get loot from hunting, loot that more often then not, you dont actually need.

SELL THAT LOOT on AH or at pawn shops for a typically set price of 75% of its base cost (starting bid) to 150% of its base cost (buyout).

So, say a +2 heavy mace of devotion III you get, has base cost of 10,000gold. AH it at starting bid 7,500gold (750 plat) and buyout at 15,000 (1500 plat). Is it worth more? Maybe. Did you make a good chunk of change and not have to worry about it anymore? Definitely!

Now if its an actually GOOD item that is quite obviously RARE (or, maybe just really in-demand...like handwraps holy/of pure good), multiply your starting bid and buyout by 2, or at most by 3.
Then, there are some items that are just godly. Holy burst of pure good as an example. If you even see this on AH, its going to be in the millions, because it really is that rare. If you see something like that on AH...IGNORE IT! More often then not its someone putting an item up there, that they really dont even want to sell, but putting it out there at a huge price so that if it somehow does sell, they'd be satisfied becoming rich for it.

So lets say you get +3 Holy Burst Handwraps of righteousness. Ok i'd say thats worth a 3x multiplier of its base cost, hell maybe even 4x. Some item like that probably has a base cost of about 60,000gold (6000plat) so starting bid at 6000 x 3 x 0.75 = 13,500plat. Buyout at 27,000plat (270,000gold).
An item like that is I'd guess a level 9 or level 11 req item. Now at level 9 or 11, as a monk, you have probably saved up at least 40k plat, possibly 50k+...and for an item like that, it is **** well worth it to dump about 60% or more of your cash savings for that good of an upgrade.

However, most items, and I agree, they are way overpriced on AH.

But ya know what?
I'm gettin rich as hell on orien because I price my stuff low. Ya, perhaps too low, but hey, if im not using it, its of no value...and it just takes up bank space. Might as well get it out there to someone who needs it, and keep fillin up my coffers.

I sell about 15 auctions a day on orien and each few days that I play, I probably add 1 more auction per day to that count. I still get at least 5x more than a pawn shop would give me for the item, so I'm a happy guy!

vettkinn
11-26-2009, 06:37 PM
I am rather concerned comrades, because I've been getting unconfirmed mail telling me to buy plat on some website for cash. I believe this may not be AH pricing idiocy, but a ploy to make people buy PLAT using real cash.

p.s. I reported the spam mail.

Ialnyien
11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
So I've been putting up auctions with the Min bid about 75% of the item price, and buyouts, depending on the item at 150% or 200% if it's a "good" item.

Most of the time, I get bought out quickly, and very few use this in their auctions.

200,000 for a +1 Holy Handwrap is a bit assenine, and those that are putting those auctions up, really should think about it. It doesn't help anyone, and it just makes people think that's what they are really worth.

Go sell it to a **** broker instead of a trash vendor so that at least the wise players can take advantage, instead of having to constantly hope/seek those items.

sdtaoist
11-27-2009, 07:06 PM
Allow me to give the perspective from the other side. One of the ways that my characters has survived/thrived is through wise use of the brokers and AH. I am a newb started with the same character I have now and will play till capped. I am f2p as well. At first was having money troubles and through reading these forums, as well as some other sources, came to realize how the market of DDO works. A couple of things you need to realize about the AH house is the prices you are looking at are not what that item sold for. It shows you there is 2 hours left when in reality the specific auction has already expired and the seller is reposting it for cheaper already to unload it. Those crazy buyout prices? Well they are not always meant for you to ACTUALLY buy them out (one reason cited already), but if it happens....Awesome!!!! That is somehow my fault? Listen if someone needs that item and has the money why not spend it in the AH? They will just use it to kick but somewhere and make a ton More money that they will have to spend somehow. Without the AH CRAZY prices there would be nothing to spend the millions of plat that you can accumulate in the game. And honestly I have found great deals in the AH for everything. I have to disagree with the sentiments that Mithral Breastplat isn't worth a lot of money especially for low to mid levels. With the added protection and the upped Dex bonus allowance major winner and I gladly paid 30k plat for my set of +5 mithral breastplate and I know that was a deal. So I have been on both sides and can tell you the system is as good as it gets. It mirrors a capitalist system in a nice theoretical setting where if you don't want to work for it...you can pay for it, if you have the cash. On the other hand if you are willing to put in the work (collectibles rare items) someone out there is willing to pay you well for your time. This has made my adventuring life SO much easier. Never having to worry about money makes a huge difference in my fun factor. All because I use a little bit of my time adventuring making money on the AH. Really in my mind you aren't doing something right if you are stressing about money in this game there are so many avenues to make it. Remember as well that some of the crazy prices are set because of previous bidding wars for particular items. Some prices may seem crazy but when you have seen people bidding it past that price in the past it is not so crazy.

Ialnyien
11-27-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't think anyone is saying that some of the 'rare' items should be priced accordingly, but by pricing so outrageous you are allowing one of two things:

A: Twinking is the only option that will be pursued by people, as they are the only ones that can afford it.

or

B: Plat selling because if a player cannot afford it, but feels the need to 'have' it, they will get it in any way possible.

Selling items for more than 5x the sale price of the item (Outside of Tomes and super rares) is ridiculous, and should seriously be thought about.

Too many people do it a few times, then go sell it to a general vendor. At least go sell it to a **** broker, not only do you get a bit more $, but others can then buy it for a reasonable price.

z0mbyjr
12-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I sort of disagree... I think the AH pricing's fine.

I don't think it's stupid that Vorpals are priced for 1 mil GP... (That's actually pretty cheap)
I don't think it's stupid that Paralyzers are overpriced.
I don't think it's stupid that a +5 Mithral Full Plate goes for 8 Million Gold...

When there's a small supply, and a high demand, this stuff happens...

Of course, this can also be the result of a bunch of idiotic jerks...
Such as those selling Normal Thin Quivers for 2k Plat on the AH... selling an item you can buy at a vendor for 60gp for 2k Plat?

Demonside
12-05-2009, 09:37 AM
just wanna toss a few comments into this post. buying from the AH before lvl 10 is your own choice. I can truly say, that with just a little play time, and decent group. you can get items easily from dungeons, and really there isnt a real need to buy from the ah unless you just particularly want items easy. for my 2nd remark, ill state it as simply as I can think it " dont like the price, dont buy it" but do you think making a post about it will change anything. do you think if i went into the gas station and said your prices are to high, they would lower the price of gas for me? (**** sure wish they would) hehe anyways, you can easily make it without needing to buy from the AH. I did. im lvl 13. and i got more **** then i know what to do with. i end up giving stuff away.

rmmcrae
12-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Haven't found Plat hard to get so far. Been playing for a very short time and on my level 5 Paladin I have 5000+ plat and on my other low level toons about 300-1000 each.

z0mbyjr
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
@rmmcrae:

I agree...
Well, that's not that much plat.

My level 13 Fighter who's too lazy to AH things, and vendored everything until yesterday, has about 150k plat.

Once I use the AH a lot more, I estimate around 300k plat.

memoriesfade
12-07-2009, 11:42 PM
I don't see why people complain about the AH if you don't like the prices you could always farm till you get the items you want. And its def not hard to get plat on this server I'm a lvl 8 Wiz and Ive made well over 50k plat so far.

Arlith
12-08-2009, 10:13 AM
200,000 for a +1 Holy Handwrap is a bit assenine, and those that are putting those auctions up, really should think about it. It doesn't help anyone, and it just makes people think that's what they are really worth.

If +1 Holy Handwraps sell for 200,000, then that is what I will sell mine for.

I will put this out there again. The game assesses base value of an item on a generic formula. You have the value of the item, and then the values of the enhancements are added to that. The base vale does not take into account how effectively, or ineffectively, those enhancements work together. Not all items are created equal. A +1 LS of giantbane can be useful, a +1 LS of oozbane is pretty **** worthless. I would not pay much for either of these, but if I HAD to buy a LS and these were the options I would pay much more for the giantbane than I would for then oozebane.

Another thing to take into account is drop rate. If I farm a bloodstone, I have put in a LOT of time running the loop in the desert over and over. (unless you happen to be one of those lucky buggers who pull them first time - which I am not) If you buy my bloodstone on the AH, you are buying my time as well as the item. If you do not want to pay for that, then trot on out to the desert and run your own loops until the item drops. It is either worth it to you to pay the extra money to NOT spend the time or it isn't and you go out and spend the time.

+5 Mithral full plate. I have pulled three sets in 4 years. If you want to pry a set out of my hands you are going to pay. Period.

Outstanding weapons. If I pull a weapon that is unique, I will do one of three things with it. 1. Give it to a friend who needs/wants it, demanding promises of delivery of outlandish future loot from them that I will never collect on. 2. Sell it on the AH for as much money as I can. 3. Build a character around it. I don't need to sell it. I don't have to sell it. Therefore if you do get it from me via the AH, you are going to pay not what it is worth, but what I think it is worth to let go of.

If I ever need plat, then my AH pricing may change. I may charge less to get plat back. If I am running out of room I may charge less to get rid of stuff to make room. But ATM I don't have either of those problems. So buy them or not, it really doesn't matter to me either way.

z0mbyjr
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't care what you think your holy vorpal scimitar of backstabbing righteousness is worth, it's honestly not worth half of what you ******nozzles think it is.

If your interested in joining a guild that takes care of it's members, and helps them level and get cool stuff look up ReDCaP (Or Orlen) in game on Orien and I'll talk to you about it.

The Assassin
ReDCaP
Well... ReDCaP, if you do happen to find that +5 Holy Vorpal Scimitar of Backstabbing Righteousness...
Uhh, Dibs. XD

Crazyfruit
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Spent around 6 to 8 mil gold on the AH, mostly on coins, and it's really nice to see that the thing is actually useful now compared to how it was when Orien started :)

Go sell it to a **** broker instead of a trash vendor so that at least the wise players can take advantage, instead of having to constantly hope/seek those items.

I paid 150k for +1 holy handwraps, and resold them on the AH for the same price (in 10 mins!) when I deleted my monk a couple weeks ago. That's one of the best/most useful handwraps pre-level 10 and it is worth that much if someone has the gold to spare & wants one. Not something for the broker for sure.

Now if they were 400k+... yeah, they'd be on there awhile:)

z0mbyjr
12-14-2009, 02:39 PM
Uggh...

The only reason everyone complains is that all the cheap, non-outrageously priced items are bought out before the complainers see them.

I got a +5 Adamantine Full Plate on the AH for 60k gold.
There was another pair up for 3 mil... Everyone's complaining about having to pay 3 million gold for a +5 Adamantine Full Plate... Because nobody saw it for cheaper, since it had been found already.

LordMond
01-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I thought mythal (hope I got your name right) had a great point.

How much money is the item sitting in your bank or backpack making you?

Assuming that you're not holding onto it with the intent of using it to twink a new alt (always a real possibility, nay inevitability, with me), then why not broker or AH it?

What I've taken to doing is to put all of my + haggle gear on and head to the various brokers to see what they'll offer me on an item (as a Wizzie with Teleport I admit that it's easier for me than others). If they offer me more than 10% to 12% of the "list price" of the item, I'm shocked. So I then head to the AH and put most of the items up for 50% of "list" bid and maybe 75% buyout. If it sells, I've made more, even after paying listing and final value fees, than I would have selling it to a broker. If I didn't maximize my individual sales, well so what? I'll make it up on volume! I turned a profit and someone else got a deal- what they do with it matters to me not a whit.

At first I did try to use the AH as a rough guide to estimating the value of my items. Two things worked against me:

1) lack of a searchable feature other than level and item type on the AH (fix this NOW, please Turbine?)

2) the range of prices for a given item among sellers can be ridiculous. when you see a vanilla +4 kopesh being offered for as little as 18k gold and as much as 55k gold, it's pretty easy to tell that someone(s) is waaay off-base.

So i just decided to make what is, to me, a reasonable profit on each item rather than to make maximum off everything. Slow and steady beats fast and undependable.

z0mbyjr
01-08-2010, 03:45 PM
LordMond, I prefer doing something else...

Items I don't need, and are useless to me, I put up for dirt cheap...
Metamagic Items (like Abjuration Bracers, Glaciation VII Rod, etc) I vendor immediately.
Weapons that are useful? Those I sell for at least 150% of base value...
Weapons that are very, very, very useful? I sell those for as high as I can get someone to buy it.
Paralyzing/Vorpal Weapons? 500k-2mil... If there aren't any others up, someone'll eventually choose mine... and I'll get rich.
I like $$$... =D

LordMond
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I can't see anything wrong with any of that.

I have to admit to a bit of jealously that you've figured out what is a "good" weapon and what isn't. Not a skill I can claim. I would have thought that a +2 Ghost Touch Bastard Sword of Righteousness would be a pretty good item, seeing as how the levels at which you'd use it are plumb full of undead but I've tried to sell that three times for around 1/2 to 2/3 of list value with no takers. I realize the +2 might have something to do with it though.

z0mbyjr
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Well, bastard swords are kinda hard to sell anyway. I put up a vorpal bastard for a steal (20k plat)... No buyers. (I'm happy about that... Even when I'm not proficient, It's still useful.)
Though I have to admit, once I get another character slot, I am so rolling a monster who uses Bastard Swords... Pretty much, almost amazing DPS, but really, really cheap to get weapons.

If that was a weapon that's often used, it'd sell a lot...
EG: Khopesh, Dwarven Axe, Falchion, Greataxe, Scimitar... if you know that a weapon is used often, it'll likely sell if the effects aren't garbage.
Here's a few examples:
THF WF Barbarians often use Falchions or Greataxes... but sometimes, they'd use a Maladroit Maul on some monsters.
Dwarves? If they melee, most likely it's a greataxe, or a dwarven axe.
Drow? Mostly Rapiers...

The +2's fine though... depending on your build, some people can get away with using +1 weapons. I still use my nicked scimitars at level 14 for trash mobs... Even with PA on, I hit all the time.

Other than that... Ghost Touch is useful, but only situationally... I'm too lazy to actually swap to a pair of GT weapons, so I just use my normal ones against wraiths.

For determining an item's value, it all depends on the effects...
Something like a +3 Metalline Khopesh of Pure Good sounds useless at first... but when you realize that it's the key to bypassing most Evil Outsider DR, it's understandable why it's expensive.
Or a +1 Destruction weapon... it may only be +1, but because of the effect... it's pretty much a +5 weapon. (nerfs enemy AC by 4). Seems outrageous at first why it's higher than a +5 weapon... but with that considered, it both is effectively a +5 weapon when used, and it makes your party easier to hit the enemy.
To a monk, a +1 Paralyzing/Vorpal Handwraps is worth more than a +1 Paralyzing/Vorpal Kama. For monks, unarmed strikes are faster than TWF'ing... it saves them finding an off-hand weapon, and they get much more hits (and successful paralyzes) off with windstance.

Josh
01-18-2010, 09:23 AM

Yes, I find it unfair that I can't buy a BMW on my salary either. I mean, shouldn't BMW give it to me?

Salsa
01-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Eh, I am a little fuzzy on the numbers. If I remember correctly, there was a heavy steel shield for sale for 1000 gold on the AH(it is worth 20). I almost bought it just for amusement value.

'Oh my gosh...it's a heavy steel shield..quick buy it before someone else does!'

Kavassa
01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Iv only been playing about a month now but i can tell u AH is just worthless to use i have found it easyer to use trade chat when selling somthing good that i loot. Example being that i looted a +3 mithril full plate and instead of puting it on AH i hit the trade chat and sold it within a few hours mostly cuase i was on at a low traffic time and about the time i sold it it was near the time everyone is usualy on. My case being is if u want to sell somthing dont use AH its faster to sell using trade chat and there is no 30% AH take. However take note that selling in trade chat dont expect to sell your items for insane prices or u may just be insulted by other players LMAO.

z0mbyjr
01-19-2010, 02:03 PM
Iv only been playing about a month now but i can tell u AH is just worthless to use i have found it easyer to use trade chat when selling somthing good that i loot. Example being that i looted a +3 mithril full plate and instead of puting it on AH i hit the trade chat and sold it within a few hours mostly cuase i was on at a low traffic time and about the time i sold it it was near the time everyone is usualy on. My case being is if u want to sell somthing dont use AH its faster to sell using trade chat and there is no 30% AH take. However take note that selling in trade chat dont expect to sell your items for insane prices or u may just be insulted by other players LMAO.

Well, that's mostly since Mith FP's sell really, really quick... even if someone doesn't need one, they'll likely buy it just to sell it to someone else for more.

Carpone
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
Yes, I find it unfair that I can't buy a BMW on my salary either. I mean, shouldn't BMW give it to me?
This is full of win.

My only complaint with the AH: "You cannot post any more auctions."

Kavassa
02-07-2010, 04:48 PM
yea well iv sold lots of stuff now from trade chat alone yea i used AH a few times seeing as im not always on i keep at least 1 item for sale there usualy somin i know ill sell, but the fact remains i always get more sales from trade chat then i ever can from AH even if i could post more then 1 item id still sell more.

Lleren
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
yea well iv sold lots of stuff now from trade chat alone yea i used AH a few times seeing as im not always on i keep at least 1 item for sale there usualy somin i know ill sell, but the fact remains i always get more sales from trade chat then i ever can from AH even if i could post more then 1 item id still sell more.

The lovely thing about the auction house, is that its price and forget.

You can put a bagfull of items up, in a few minutes, and either get mail with plat in it, or mail with the item in over the next few days.

CrankVulcan
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I haven't pulled any mithril anything. :(

lol me either but the other day +4 mith full-plate from xorian and just tem minutes later some dude wanted a +1 str. tome for his +5 mithral fullplate. I told him i would give him more but he insisted on geting a +1 str -_-.................................I sold the +5 for 985,000gp cause the buyer just wouldnt give me 7 digits :) it was a good day

Veriden
03-08-2010, 10:03 AM
I personally only ever go to the ah any more to post items, I always post things at base price for bid, and pending it's rarity +5k gp to +15k gp. If any one was wondering who put the +1 str tome up on the auction for 50kgp that was me. I don't much care for making money, I'm sitting on 2 mil gold and at lvl 17 nothing I need to spend it on.

Personally, to me this is just a game there is no need to show how american some of us are and extortionize the gaming world, some of us have to deal with that **** every day at work. Well... -tosses two coppers in a cup- have fun guys, good luck I've said my two coppers worth...-tosses a third copper in the cup- The solution to getting ah house items down in price, increase drop rates and take out the ransacked chest rule. More people with more desired items lowers the supply and demand ergo the need to sell things at outragious prices.

emperorling81
04-15-2010, 04:11 AM
This is easy enough. I have played since december on 2009 I have rebirthed once and am currently lvl 15. I have nearly 10million gold atm and I give away a **** ton of items to my guild. 90% of the time I use pawn brokers to sell trash. "Well whats trash?" anything that isn't vorp/para/banish/disrupt/smiting/imp Csing/Imp Destruction/or greater bane for armor non mithrils for heavy and mediums. for lights and nons if not twilight/deathblock/heavy fort/greater resist. Jewelry and clothes are a little more expansive. but simply I make about 200k gold per day easily. I buy stuff in AH on the regular, I got my +1 vorp DWA for 6kgold I have gotten +5lesser lightning guard mithril towershield of lesser sonic resist for 12k gold.
Simply stated. if you dont troll for deals you wont find them. I usually have my ah full of stuff about 85% of it sells, and for gobs of plat cause the items are good. Even so I under cut the closest item by comparison. By just whining about the AH you arent fixing anything, and by ignoring it your not making what you could. In my first life I sold everything I got in ah for as cheap as possible to get gold now that I got money I can find steals and resell them or I can buy good twink gear and high demand items and not worry about my piggy bank.
Use the AH people it's not a monster coming to steal your children and put you in debt its a tool you use to find what your looking for or what other people are looking for.
All that said ASYLUM FTFW. we are the best **** guild on orien.
P.S. If you see me on dont beg for handouts, but if you have a legit need of something tell me and I'll see if I can help. name is Lupey Regen
P.S.S. sorry for the long as **** post

Kawabonga
04-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Allow me to give the perspective from the other side. One of the ways that my characters has survived/thrived is through wise use of the brokers and AH. I am a newb started with the same character I have now and will play till capped. I am f2p as well. At first was having money troubles and through reading these forums, as well as some other sources, came to realize how the market of DDO works. A couple of things you need to realize about the AH house is the prices you are looking at are not what that item sold for. It shows you there is 2 hours left when in reality the specific auction has already expired and the seller is reposting it for cheaper already to unload it. Those crazy buyout prices? Well they are not always meant for you to ACTUALLY buy them out (one reason cited already), but if it happens....Awesome!!!! That is somehow my fault? Listen if someone needs that item and has the money why not spend it in the AH? They will just use it to kick but somewhere and make a ton More money that they will have to spend somehow. Without the AH CRAZY prices there would be nothing to spend the millions of plat that you can accumulate in the game. And honestly I have found great deals in the AH for everything. I have to disagree with the sentiments that Mithral Breastplat isn't worth a lot of money especially for low to mid levels. With the added protection and the upped Dex bonus allowance major winner and I gladly paid 30k plat for my set of +5 mithral breastplate and I know that was a deal. So I have been on both sides and can tell you the system is as good as it gets. It mirrors a capitalist system in a nice theoretical setting where if you don't want to work for it...you can pay for it, if you have the cash. On the other hand if you are willing to put in the work (collectibles rare items) someone out there is willing to pay you well for your time. This has made my adventuring life SO much easier. Never having to worry about money makes a huge difference in my fun factor. All because I use a little bit of my time adventuring making money on the AH. Really in my mind you aren't doing something right if you are stressing about money in this game there are so many avenues to make it. Remember as well that some of the crazy prices are set because of previous bidding wars for particular items. Some prices may seem crazy but when you have seen people bidding it past that price in the past it is not so crazy.

Never heard of paragraphs?

Kawabonga
04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
Since I am a newbie, I do use the AH to pawn almost every item I can as long as I can get more then a vendor would. Now level 10, I do start getting items that are more valuable and they get bought out very fast...

Example : I put this Charismatic helm of listening (+3CHR and +3 listen) for a silly 7k pp and it was gone in a few hours.

If anyone feels like sharing their opinion, I am wondering in that case if the buyout price I put was under the actual value or If the buyer was just willing to pay a silly price for a +3 CHR item?

In the end, it is still the old supply and demand system that rules...