PDA

View Full Version : Server Issue Announcements

BDS
11-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Lock the thread so only those with power and actual information can post in the thread. You have a link to it both in the server selection and the forums however I have to search through 20+ pages of people whining to find the few posts updating us on what is actually going on. This doesn't really allow me to get the information I'd want from an news/announcement thread. The information should be easily accessible, which will reduce repeat questions and conspiracy theories as everyone will see what has been made public knowledge. Now I've just started in the last two weeks and I'm not happy about the server being down but as long as I don't lose anything I don't care. It will be up again eventually and I will be able to play. Until then you can play on a different server of find something else to do.

My suggestion would be to create two threads. One that is on the front page of the forums and server selection screen where only updates from Admins are posted. Another "discussion" thread where people can ask what questions they have, whine, and post their conspiracy theories. I would think something like this would be pretty basic. Perhaps it is somewhere I am missing it but having to look through 20+ pages of Thelanis thread for admins or GMs whatever they are called giving an update is a bit ridiculous.

Tolero
11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
You can actually jump straight to staff posts using the dev tracker (http://forums.ddo.com/turbine_tracker.php?tracker=devtracker) at the top of the forums in the upper left. Unfortunately in this instance it is mostly "sorry gang, still working on it" style posts - which is the same information that the OP has. When there is actual progress made to a point that you'll be in world soon, I will update the OP :)

BDS
11-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Ah well that certainly helps somewhat. As someone who is new to the forums and the game however I have to admit I would have no idea what Dev tracker is referring to if you hadn't told me and would never had clicked on it. Thank you for your quick reply sir.

Tolero
11-09-2009, 08:15 PM
Ah well that certainly helps somewhat. As someone who is knew to the forums and the game however I have to admit I would have no idea what Dev tracker is referring to if you hadn't told me and would never had clicked on it. Thank you for your quick reply sir.

Yeah I've never really liked the phrase "dev tracker" because it should say something more like "staff posts" or something. Devs aren't the only ones who show up there :) then there is the "service tracker" which basically does the same thing for important customer service type postings from Mithgar, Victorie, and so forth.

Gadget2775
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
Ah well that certainly helps somewhat. As someone who is new to the forums and the game however I have to admit I would have no idea what Dev tracker is referring to if you hadn't told me and would never had clicked on it. Thank you for your quick reply sir.

Pssst....Tolero's a ma'am. ;) Unless of course she was Knighted when I wasn't looking...?

BDS
11-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Oops, well I did say I was new *blushes*. Thank you for your quick response madam.

SkyCry
11-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Yeah I've never really liked the phrase "dev tracker" because it should say something more like "staff posts" or something. Devs aren't the only ones who show up there :) then there is the "service tracker" which basically does the same thing for important customer service type postings from Mithgar, Victorie, and so forth.

Well, I always took it as a tracker for posts made by an official account of an employee of the game developer company, which includes people who aren't doing the actual development. :)

(Posts by publisher would be pub tracker? ;))

Mobeius
11-11-2009, 02:00 PM

Well before Dev tracker, there would be game enthusiasts while a game was in beta, and maybe not even in beta, and to help track when a member of the DEVelopment team actually posted, programmers created tracking programs and would autopost them to the forums, which made tracking the games progress even more. Soon the devs incorporated this technology in to their beta boards.

Saw this first hand when I was tracking City of Heroes, but now it seems most others are incorporating this in their board programs.

History lesson over...

Moral of the story... It was called dev for the Dev Team at the time which was basiclaly everyone, including community relations people, etc... So Dev Tracker is kind of a generic name for it that everyone pretty much recognizes and understands this. Like in the south, everything is a coke, including pepsi and 7-up, etc LOL.