PDA

View Full Version : 800 pts to spend, thoughts on my options

Keikelajin
11-09-2009, 10:38 AM
After some farming I have the points I desired to unlock either Drow (all servers, yes I know 400 favor earns it for one server) or Monk. Here are my thoughts:

1. I don't have, nor intend to be able to obtain before 1750 favor, 32pt builds.
2. I tend to play casters: Sorc, Cleric, Wizard - in that order.
3. The biggest lure for Monk 28pt for me is splashing it, and most splashes involve melee types and I am not that big on melee.
4. Partied with a monk halfling 28pt build and was impressed (this is low level, lvl 4 monk).
5. Adventure Packs: the low levels have enough free content and soon I plan to get premium and can buy a lvl 10+ pack or two so unlocking packs now isn't critical.

I am torn mainly on the Drow vs Monk. Drow provides a 32pt option for some builds, while Monk would only be 28pt halfing or for splashing.

Any angles I may not be seeing that would make my decision easier?

hcarr
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
drow can be unlocked with 400 favor per server. No real reason to buy.
monk is only availiable if vip or bought.

Jukken
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
You could save the points and use them on adv-packs when they are on sale. Good way to save some points.

Adarin
11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Most monk splashes I've seen need that 32 point build in order to really come out as beneficial. Yeah there MAY be a build that works, but given that low level is no estimate for late game power I think that guy is in for a rude awakening.

That said, drow are really not that hard to unlock. If one got a solid static group, you could probably grind up to 400 in just a couple sessions.

For my money (or TP in this case) I would go with option 3 and unlock the Warforged. You like arcane casters and I don't think it gets much better than a warforged wizard (with perhaps a rogue splash). 18 int, 10 str (encumberance), 10 dex (no skill penalties and no dex hit), 16 con, and 6 wis and cha. Yeah you could wait until you unlock 32 point builds to get the wisdom higher, but overall it's solid and you see them out there. You can heal yourself with repair and while you need a tank you would anyway as a caster.

Just sayin... my 2 cents

Keikelajin
11-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the input, however on warforge...I absolutely despise robots in my DnD and thus have no plans to ever play the race. No matter how awesome they are for a given build.

Brennie
11-09-2009, 05:45 PM
You could save the points and use them on adv-packs when they are on sale. Good way to save some points.

This.

Monk is shiny, warfoged are "ub3r", and drow are... I dunno what the heck drow are. But when all is said and done, having a bunch of bells and whistles doesn't mean a whole lot if you can't *go* anywhere.

800 TP is enough to grab Gianthold when its on sale. I would consider this top priority for any free player (Who doesn't want to eventually dish out lots of cash just to be able to keep playing). Would stink being a cleric 10/monk 2 who you LOVE, but who can't run any more content because hes run out of free stuff!

PS - Casters don't need splashing, and humans are arguably better than (or at least equal to) drow for casters anyhow :P! Especially for clerics!

PPS - Getting 400 favor on a new server is not a difficult task anyhow. If you really want drow on a new server, make a cleric or some other "Drow doesn't help this build" character, run it up to level 5-8ish, hitting as many elites as posisble along the way (And backtrack to finish off lower level elites once you think you can get enough) and 400 favor becomes easy-peasy.

Krag
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM

QFT
You can't have enough adv-packs.