PDA

View Full Version : Question about caster levels for a multiclass.

mechgouki
11-09-2009, 07:31 AM
Some spells depend on caster levels. How is it calculated for multiclass?

Suppose there's 5 cleric, 5 Fighter, what would be the caster level? Would it be 5 only, or 10?

WolfSpirit
11-09-2009, 07:34 AM
5 Cleric 5 fighter casts Divine spells like a 5 cleric.
Choose to multiclass, And how you multiclass Carefully.

mechgouki
11-09-2009, 11:14 AM
What about 5 Cleric and 5 Sorceror?

Will it be 5 for divine and arcane, or 10 for both?

And Favored Soul is both Divine and Arcane, right?

Noctus
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Caster levels dont stack in any way from different classes.

Only Divine.

WolfSpirit
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM
What about 5 Cleric and 5 Sorceror?

-
You would end up with a lv 10 char that is more like one lv 5 cleric and one lv 5 Sorc and believe me, while running a lv 10 adv you wouldn't be able to effect ANYTHING with you spells. Essentially you would have a very bad multiclass character that would be largly ineffective compaired to either a 10 cleric or a 10 sorc. Multiclassing must be thought out VERY carefully and only done when the gain outweighs the loss. And that doenst happen much with many characters.
Think CAREFULLY before doing this to your character. you may end up at lv 12 thinking... Why didn't I listen...
And rerolling all over again.
There are many very successful builds on these forums, I'd say look them up and find something that you like. you can always use Enhancements or even some feats to make the character more your own...
PS, even a Favored Soul and Cleric may cast the same divine spells, but if you split class them it would still be only a 5th level FvS and 5th lv Cleric spells at 10th level. VERY bad combo for sure. Just like ANY splice of Wizard and Sorc, going pure in either of them instead of mixing the two would WAY out class the multi wiz/sor every time no matter what the split.

Brennie
11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
-
You would end up with a lv 10 char that is more like one lv 5 cleric and one lv 5 Sorc and believe me, while running a lv 10 adv you wouldn't be able to effect ANYTHING with you spells. Essentially you would have a very bad multiclass character that would be largly ineffective compaired to either a 10 cleric or a 10 sorc. Multiclassing must be thought out VERY carefully and only done when the gain outweighs the loss. And that doenst happen much with many characters.
Think CAREFULLY before doing this to your character. you may end up at lv 12 thinking... Why didn't I listen...
And rerolling all over again.
There are many very successful builds on these forums, I'd say look them up and find something that you like. you can always use Enhancements or even some feats to make the character more your own...
PS, even a Favored Soul and Cleric may cast the same divine spells, but if you split class them it would still be only a 5th level FvS and 5th lv Cleric spells at 10th level. VERY bad combo for sure. Just like ANY splice of Wizard and Sorc, going pure in either of them instead of mixing the two would WAY out class the multi wiz/sor every time no matter what the split.

TL;DR version - Don't multiclass your casters :P

mechgouki
11-10-2009, 02:07 AM
Don't worry, I understand the consequences. I just want to know the mechanics.

So what happens if you have 5 Paladin and 5 Cleric? Will it actually stack to become 10 Divine? Or still just 5 each?

And what about Base Attack Bonus? Will they Stack? If you have 10 Fighter (10 BAB) and 10 Paladin (10 BAB), will they stack to become 20 BAB?

Visty
11-10-2009, 02:14 AM
your casterlvls never stack, so as pal5/clr5 youd cast as a lvl5 pala and a lvl5 cleric

BAB on the other hand stacks (so 20 in your fgtr10/pal10 example)