PDA

View Full Version : level 7 wiz robe

Strakyn
11-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Hiyas. Got my wiz to level 7 now. Still learning what things to wear in regards to stats.

My question is about 3 different robes i have. Which one is better?
All 3 do the same damage when hit...although 1 is acid, i believe other 2 is fire..

But:

1 has +15 spell resist (currently i have 0 spell resist)

1 has 75% fort. (currently i have 25% from a ring)

1 has axeblock, +5 i believe (i dont have any other gear with axeblock)

i originally thought having axeblock would be best, since it also covers swords. But asking around a few people ive heard cases for all 3 things being important.

Any veteran wizards give me a hand here? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Strakyn
11-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Im not sure whether it matters on a robe. But i just wanted to add, my main specialty? is necromancy.
I dont do much at all in the way of attack spells. i might keep 1 up.
I purely play CC, charming, stuns (normal mobs and undead) and buffs.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Hiyas. Got my wiz to level 7 now. Still learning what things to wear in regards to stats.

My question is about 3 different robes i have. Which one is better?
All 3 do the same damage when hit...although 1 is acid, i believe other 2 is fire..

But:

1 has +15 spell resist (currently i have 0 spell resist)

1 has 75% fort. (currently i have 25% from a ring)

1 has axeblock, +5 i believe (i dont have any other gear with axeblock)

i originally thought having axeblock would be best, since it also covers swords. But asking around a few people ive heard cases for all 3 things being important.

Any veteran wizards give me a hand here? Thanks in advance for the advice.

All are useful, but the fort is the most important on that list. A level 7 wiz can be killed in one shot if you get an unlucky crit.

Noctus
11-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Fortification is best.

One unlucky crit and you go Squsih.

Brennie
11-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Handy robes for every (arcane) caster:

The Good

* Fortification - Suffix - Comes in 25%, 75%, and 100% varieties. Number one priority in most cases. This can also be found on other item slots, so does not necessarily have to be robe-based.

* Deathblock - Prefix - Most useful against beholders, because they strip buffs AND cast insta-death, making deathward useless against them. Also useful for Thaarak Hounds and evil insta-death casters.

* Fearsome - Prefix - This is mostly a tool used for soloing, or for getting through areas where you are not trying to fight (Running through an explorer area to get to a quest, for instance). Get hit in melee once, and living enemies will flee in terror! It is suggested you do not use this robe with teams, as people hate chasing down stray enemies.

* Energy Resist - Suffix - Comes in 3, 10, 20, and 30 varieties. The 3 is pretty well useless (Why don't they start at 5 for gosh sakes?!), but everything above that can come in mighty handy, especially Fire Resist and Acid Resist. Having one (or several) of these robes handy will save you from having to cast the Energy Resist spell repeatedy through a fire infested quest, or can be a temporary swap in just for when you get hit by an acid arrow.

* Invulnerability - Suffix - DR 5/magic. Pretty handy through the low/midlevels. Special mention to axeblock/spearblock/hammerblock, as these can sometimes have higher values than 5, which are good when combined with a good prefix.

The Okay

* Stability - Suffix - For the first few levels, this can help out AC and saves on a true neutral caster. Sheild + mage armor + stability puts a 10 dex caster at 20 AC, enough to miss quite a few hits from harbor enemies. This quickly loses it's significance once caster AC becomes "not good enough - ever", and nightsheild/resistence items surpass the +2.

* Spell Resistence - Suffix - Not all its cracked up to be. A lot of spells you'd want deflected simply won't be (Lightning bolt, sleet storm, magic missle, scorching ray, acid arrow...), but given a high enough number, it makes a nice companion to a good prefix, allowing you to shrug off a poison spell here or a hold person there.

* Command - Suffix - The best way for a low level character to get a quick-and-dirty +2 boost to UMD and haggle. Typically you want this on a not-so-good robe, since its only purpose is to allow you to equip race/alightment restricted items, or lessen you chance of screwing up a scroll/wand. This robe is quickly outgrown by any item that offers +3 or better UMD.

* False Life - Suffix - Comes in the 5, 10, and 20 varieties. While false life is an excellent addition to any caster, it fits much better on non-robe items. That said, if you can get a good false life with a good prefix, and canot find False Life for another item slot, then go for it! Be cautious that taking off false life at full health and then putting it back on will leave you missing health (If you have 100/100 health with Improved False life robe, and take it off, you will have 90/90 hp. If you put the Improved False life robe back on, you will have 90/100 hp.)

* Powah! - Suffix - Comes in I to X varieties, as well as Wizardy and Magi (I believe these all come on robes...?). Spellpoints are good, but like False Life, are better used in another slot. Also like False Life, if you can combine high Power suffix with a good prefix, and cannot find another space for it (Which i would find doubtful, since unlike false life, Power comes up often on weapons), go ahead and use a robe. Again, like False Life, removing a Power while close to full spellpoints will reduce the total number of spellpoints you have. it is much harder to regain spellpoints lost in this way.

* Clickies! - Suffix - Several robes have useful spell-like clickies on them, and will use the name of the spell in the robe name. Especially good clickies are ones where caster level and caster stats play little or no role in spell effectiveness. Examples are "Detect Secret Doors", "Remove Curse/Blindness/Disease/Neutralize Poison/Lesser Restoration", "Solid Fog" etc. Spells with saves (Such as niacs cold ray) or with caster-dependant effects (Such as shocking grasp) are typically not very useful on clickies, as their effectiveness is very little. Buffs are middle ground, as they will typically not last very long, but often have worthwhile effects (Especially higher spell-level buff-type clickies, such as Divine power or greater Heroism).

The Ugly

* Fire/Acid/Ice/Lightning Guard - Prefix - Comes in 1d4 and 1d8 varieties. This is holding up a valuable prefix slot to do some trivial amount of damage. By the time an enemy hits you enough times to take significant damage from your elemental guard robe, you'll be dead. In some situations, you'll actually heal attackers (Fire guard + iron golems for example)! Only use if found on really good suffix robes (Lesser lightning guard of heavy fort), or on situational robes (Lesser acid guard of Command, lesser fire guard of greater fire resist)

* Spell Resist - Suffix - Yup, it goes inunder Okay and Ugly. Low level spell resist at high levels is meaningless, in much the same way low AC is. Spell resist 11 amounts to 0% protection after level 11 (Possibly earlier? I'm not entirely sure what enemy caster levels count as), and is just an expensive filler.

* Lesser Energy Resist - Suffix - At no point in the game does 3 less points of fire, lightning, acid, or cold damage actually help you.

* Power - Suffix - Yup, this one gets double posted too! Every caster should have a good Power item relative to their level. As such, robes of power *less* than the other "Power" item you have is just expensive filler. Power I is a notorious example.

These are all the random-roll robe types i can think of odd the top of my head. If anyone knows of any more, please feel free to post, and I'll add em to the list! And remember, its always good to have several robes laying around for spcific occasions. Deathblock for beholders, fearsome for soloing, greater Resist for elemental-damage-heavy quests, in addition to your "main" robe! And don't be afraid to try on an outfit or two. outfits have most o fthe same properties as robes. They just look a bit sillier!