PDA

View Full Version : Voice Chat?

moomooprincess
11-08-2009, 06:24 AM
Is it just me or does NO ONE use voice chat anymore? Lots of zero communication and zero strategy.

Is it the language barriers?

So many groups I join have zero communication. Then all of a sudden we have three battles going on.

Runing in Vale last night with a silent duo. ZERO communication they JUST expected us to follow them.

I stuck it out because I knew where everything was but other players quit in frustration.

The reaver I did the other night was sort of fun. I chalk that up to the new players having no idea what to expect and just trying. But we did communicate beforehand but once the battles start I can understand the chaos.

The vets are telling people stuff, but it does NOT seem to register. "Don't firewall the Reaver yet!!" "Quit that we are dispelling your firewalls!!" "Don't kill the reaver until the switch is pulled!"

Luckily, four of us were able to finish the quest. Two wizards, a favored soul, and me the bard. They did all the work I was the switch puller.

Snorificus
11-08-2009, 08:55 AM
I believe VC is on by default now...but that doesn't mean people use it. I have encountered alot of new players who don't even have computer speakers connected. You can tell who they are because when the party leader says something like "hold up for haste" or "trap" they are the ones zerging ahead...

Funny, but frustrating at the same time.

SquelchHU
11-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Voice chat is extremely frustrating due to the low quality of the voice servers. Most people come in extremely quiet even if you have your own sound setting maximized, making it very difficult to hear instructions, and even more so to get them to repeat them if you do not. A few people have their sound set up right, but since you have to maximize your speakers in order to hear the majority whenever the few with a proper configuration speak it risks making you deaf. Not to mention any other sounds your computer may make during this time will also come through exceptionally loud, as one might expect with sound maxed out.

It's quite likely you don't see people talking either because they don't have a mic, or they don't want to deal with the frustrations of Gamespot servers. It's also quite possible that if people aren't hearing you, that's why.

After fixing my own sound I can hear most people, but only barely, and only if I crank up all volume settings for voice to the max and turn off everything else.

Course it could just be that their sound is off, or they'd rather blast some random music or whatever.

Gleipner
11-08-2009, 12:28 PM
I have no problems with VX and use it frequently, but i also use TS and Vent :)
VC ingame is a bit dodgey bc most people comming in to low or to loud just need to sort out their equipment.

Oh and on a side note i play from EU so the signal strenght is still fine ere so as i said most people need to set up their riggs/headsets etc etc

Braegan
11-08-2009, 01:49 PM
The reaver I did the other night was sort of fun. I chalk that up to the new players having no idea what to expect and just trying. But we did communicate beforehand but once the battles start I can understand the chaos.

The vets are telling people stuff, but it does NOT seem to register. "Don't firewall the Reaver yet!!" "Quit that we are dispelling your firewalls!!" "Don't kill the reaver until the switch is pulled!"

Luckily, four of us were able to finish the quest. Two wizards, a favored soul, and me the bard. They did all the work I was the switch puller.

Yeah that was a pretty wild reaver. I was the Fav Soul :)

moomooprincess
11-09-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for beating the reaver, because you three did it, I just watched my perch. My only mnemonics I seem to pull are always Level 3s and level 5s. I have not pulled a level 9 mnemonic in a LONG time. Probably late September. I would send you one for what you consumed.

I tried to get in a group last night but competed against another REAVER group, Arcades was in that other group. So it disbanded, So I went on my merry way and did some Inspiration stuff.

Eqvaliser
11-09-2009, 09:13 AM
As a returning player - I use VC frequently,

But more and more i encounter south american teams, both chatting and speaking in their local tounge.
which are the only teams i cant communicate with..

Aerendil
11-09-2009, 10:48 AM
My 2cp - I have voice chat on, always, but I don't have a microphone. Can't be arsed.

Sure, some commands are just faster to say than to type, such as "STOP!" as the lead person is about to run into a trap, but aside from those few occasions (and let's be honest, after you've run a quest once or twice, you don't need to be told these things anyways) there's very little I can't do via typing.

And, to be honest, I don't much miss the fact that fewer people are using voice chat these days.
I don't want to know that the Barbarian male with me is actually a husky female who smokes 10 packs a day, or that the Rogue who just led us through a raid is actually a 9 year old.
Sometimes silence is golden, and ignorance is bliss...

The last thing I need is my girlfriend walking into the room as some teenage male who sounds strangely like Napoleon Dynamite is shouting "come on guys, let's go!". It really doesn't bode well for future gaming.

Sylvurdragon
11-09-2009, 01:28 PM
I have VC, and as a rogue I find it invaluable. I try to keep my group informed of anything from traps, to invisible enemies on the way to the group...there are times, however, when I'm playing at the same time my wife is watching TV. In those times I don't use VC, but I am sure to let my group know that I am no longer on VC. I still try my best to keep them up to date with anything hidden. I guess its all a matter of personal style...some people are just not into that. :) I find VC helps to keep my charging friends alive :)

*friend charges into room* HOLD UP, TRAP *friend stops just in time to see a jet of hot flames flowing in front of him* - Friend Lives :)

Blagrak
11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
I think half the problem people have with voice is that they try and run it through their speakers instead of a headset. Through speakers, I can't hear a word anyone says because it's so quiet. But when I run it through headphones it's like night and day.

The other half of the problem is split between people who only use voice for Vent, and others who are just afraid/disinclined to use it.

Then the other half is people who don't have their Windows mic boost enabled - another night/day issue.

As for the other half, meh who knows.

Cedwin
11-10-2009, 09:41 AM
I think half the problem people have with voice is that they try and run it through their speakers instead of a headset. Through speakers, I can't hear a word anyone says because it's so quiet. But when I run it through headphones it's like night and day.

The other half of the problem is split between people who only use voice for Vent, and others who are just afraid/disinclined to use it.

Then the other half is people who don't have their Windows mic boost enabled - another night/day issue.

As for the other half, meh who knows.

That's 4 halves! :p

Don't forget all of the youngsters who don't want to use the mic because they don't want everyone to think they are a 12 year old girl.

Giddlypip
11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I always use the voice chat... True I use vent more but that's because I usually run w/ my guildies so that's all I need. But I always use voice chat for hastes and things important like giving new people the rundown. It is very frustrating when people don't listen or talk. I don't understand why people don't communicate, the funnest part of the game to me is playing with people and making plans, not just running the quests with no sound.

zavozod
11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
When I am filling a pug grp out I ask one question. Can you hear me? No reply...... Give it a 5 count r so... Can you hear me? No reply.... Das Boot.

When I lead. I like quick,fast and "neat".I like to see my party make up before I plan my tactics. Tactics, thats another post.

Mellifera
11-11-2009, 06:07 AM

Please, what is that and how do you do it?

My problem is that half the time everyone comes in so low I'm asking *Sorry, what was that?* at least 35 times per quest. So frustrating.

The other fun one is where after I say *Hey can yall here me?* I get
*......Heeeeey, its a LADY!*
*Silence from everyone for the rest of the quest*

Shamurai
11-11-2009, 06:25 AM
I use voice chat always. Yes sometimes I have those who are too quiet and those who are to loud... Agreed must have headphones because the speakers on the laptop just don't cut it... and I do admit hearing an "ACTUAL" girl's voice does add to the enjoyment of the game, because man that guy doing the girls voice in "Cry for help" wheras accurate from my gaming experience just isn't the same as the real deal.

Phidius
11-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Only recently been PUGging Precious on Cannith - while I do have voice chat, and will use it when timing is critical, I'm far more prone to type out instructions and communications.

Not sure why - it's not like I'm shy or anything.

KoboldKiller
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
I don't use it because I found too many people kept talking at once which just lead to noise and more confusion. The fewer people who talk the better IMHO.

Gleipner
11-12-2009, 01:31 PM
The fewer people who talk the better IMHO. Yes but only if thoose who are silent hear me (only use it frequently in puggs as leader).
Usualy people who dosen´t use VC either is vets or n00bs.

der_kluge
11-12-2009, 01:40 PM
My experience is that in most PUGS I am in, only maybe 1 in 6 will use voice chat. Occasionally, two will. Rarely more than that.

I don't use it because I play on a laptop, and while my laptop has a microphone (actually, it's my spouse's laptop), I have no idea how to turn it on and use it! So, I don't worry with it. I'd rather have a headset with a microphone, anyway. And I don't.

I think a lot of folks don't use voice because there are a fair number of foreign players on there. I was actually in a GH group a couple of nights ago all in the "Ghetto Francais" guild, and they mostly used voice chat - IN FRENCH! It was kind of surreal, but they were a good group, and we did a good job. I find it easier to do that as a cleric - because all I really need to do is stay back, stay alive, and keep everyone else alive. Of course, that's easier if the rest of them all know what they are doing, and they did.

Someone earlier mentioned people not communicating AT ALL. That's the biggest problem, IMHO. Like, 5 people are waiting outside the dungeon, and the 6th is just lolly-gagging somewhere in House J somewhere, and everyone's like "are you coming", and you get no response of any kind whatsoever. Or the ones that just zerg away, doing their own thing and completely ignore repeated requests to stop, slow down, gather, or whatever. I've grown to have VERY little patience for such people.

Spiffyspiffy
11-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a setup that I regularly use to make VOIP business calls with no problem. Yet get so many complaints in game that I can't be heard I've stopped trying to use it.

My setup includes USB headphones that I can isolate voice chat from others with to, while still having game-sound go through the computer speakers. This is the only reason I can hear some others.

In short: DDO voice sucks. That's why people stop using it.

Llanolas
11-17-2009, 12:36 AM
The sound does have a balancing issue, but you put voice at 1.0 and all the other sounds down around .2 or lower and you can hear just fine. Voice is invaluable. The decade is almost over and people are still trying to make me pay attention to a small chat box in video games, when talking is so much faster and more efficient, not to mention done while moving.

Zereth501
12-16-2009, 11:51 AM
The language barrier is an issue. I am a french player myself, and I have trouble understanding what people say aloud. My spoken english is not so god to begin with. Add to that the poor sound quality and the fact that I can't focus on translation while fighting, and you get lots of misunderstanding.

Something you can do to help beside typing messages is to use short sentences. "Trap!" is easier than "Wait, I need to disarm that." Calling the name of the player you are talking to also helps, as it indicates that what you say is important enough to divert his / her attention from battle.

tunabomber
12-16-2009, 08:19 PM
I hate when puggers dont use voice, its annoying(come on folks its almost 2010 get with the program).not like they would listen anyway.people have issues cuz they buy 5 dollar mics and expect to it 2 be awesome. theres a reason why things cost more,buy quality people. ;) Oh yeah if people cant hear you turn your mic boost on for this game.

Kerrn_Siff
12-17-2009, 08:41 AM
Pretty m much 100% of the new players don't use voice for some reason. You get into a PUG and if anyone is using voice its usually a vet.

I guess I don't understand all these comments about 'poor quality' and hardly being able to hear anyone over voice. Noone in my guild has any issues hearing each other and i don't seem to have any issues hearing people in the random PUG I jump into if they actually use voice. Turn down/off the music maybe if you have issues hearing.

People need to really start using voice as it is much more efficient especially in some of the more complex raids and quests then having to stop whatever you are doing to type in a window. If you accidentally get stuck in chat while you think you are trying to move around and fight it can have some pretty bad results at inopportune times. I love seeing 'wwwwwwwwwwwwwwww11wwwsssssssssssssssdddddddd11ddd dddddd1111ddwwwwwwwwww11112121' *DING* in chat before someone dies... :p

Khalibano
12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
The problem for me with vc is that it sort of disturbs real life a bit. When I am home after work, it's a bit unpleasant (at last for my wife) to have me using a headset and not listening to when she calls me or wants to talk to me. So in my case, the way I found to juggle with both real and virtual life is to refrain from having vc on.
I know most quests by heart now, and would have no trouble putting the headset on for strategy planning before a raid for instance. But I do find it annoying when I get booted from a group because someone was saying something in vc and I didn't acknowledge it.
I must admit that the experience I had with voice chat was a bit frustrating sometimes, people shouting, bossing others, or talking about things not related to the game.

thewizard3
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
I play on my laptop; have a family that is not very quiet, lots of people coming in and out, and have lots of interruptions. I keep my mic off, for no other reason than out of respect for other players that don’t need to hear all the **** going on around me. Granted, as a Rogue it is a little difficult to provide timely warning about upcoming traps, but then again, if you wana zerg, sometimes there’s a price to pay.

tunabomber
12-23-2009, 02:29 PM
The problem for me with vc is that it sort of disturbs real life a bit. When I am home after work, it's a bit unpleasant (at last for my wife) to have me using a headset and not listening to when she calls me or wants to talk to me. So in my case, the way I found to juggle with both real and virtual life is to refrain from having vc on.
I know most quests by heart now, and would have no trouble putting the headset on for strategy planning before a raid for instance. But I do find it annoying when I get booted from a group because someone was saying something in vc and I didn't acknowledge it.
I must admit that the experience I had with voice chat was a bit frustrating sometimes, people shouting, bossing others, or talking about things not related to the game.

lol maybe you need a new woman

Rathinosk
12-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Once your wife/family gets used to it, it becomes less of a problem, IMO. I've got my hands-free turned off because it tends to pick up my kids if they decide to run screaming through the house for no apparent reason, as young children are wont to do.

I prefer to use VC, even without the hands-free, particularly if the party includes a bunch of newer players that don't know the particular dungeon. There are those that always seem to like rushing headlong into traps or mobs that really needed to have the aggro managed properly. One of my personal favorites is in Part 2 of "The Lost Seekers" where you have that one guy that will rush into Gnashtooth Bloodletter's den and then the gate comes crashing down behind him. Unless the guy is a brute, he will likely die a horrible death. It's a great learning experience for most, I think.

I have run whole quest chains with groups where there was no communication in-dungeon at all, only to find out that the entire party was VC-enabled after we broke out into a public area. Those were, of course, groups that knew the dungeons well, understood their role and meshed well together - great fun times indeed.

shadosatblackphoenix
12-29-2009, 11:47 AM
I play on my laptop; have a family that is not very quiet, lots of people coming in and out, and have lots of interruptions. I keep my mic off, for no other reason than out of respect for other players that don’t need to hear all the **** going on around me. Granted, as a Rogue it is a little difficult to provide timely warning about upcoming traps, but then again, if you wana zerg, sometimes there’s a price to pay.

The default settings are for push-to-talk. So having a noisy family won't really be a problem. And for rogues, its not just a matter of "the price to pay for zerging". Unless everyone in the party knows the traps by heart, you very well may spot the trap at the very last moment. Happens a lot.

Another class that can have difficulties without mic is cleric in harder quests and raids. Doing the blue dragon in ToR at level usually means chain casting heal spells as quickly as possible. No time to type. Shroud Part 5 can be like that too at the beggining of the boss fight unless the party is really good.

For the other comments people brought up, along the lines of "but i know the quest by heart!", its usually not for the explainations, but for the coordinations that its important. Mobs that need to die all at the same time, trapped tiles that everyone need to move simultaneously, etc. Fine as long as you can hear, dont really need a mic. Just get a mono single ear headphone if the wife needs to talk to you :)

ShotByBothSides
01-04-2010, 08:21 AM
I too had problems balancing voice/sound effects/music. Then I realised I had two sound sources on my PC (a real doh! moment). One is the on board source and the other a sound card I bought. I now have the voice connected to the on board source and listen via a really cheap pair of speakers, and all the game sound arrives via the sound card and a surround sound speaker setup. That means separate volume controls for each and the voice is very distinct as it is not mixed with the music etc.

I could do with some mic advice. I really do not like wearing headphones, so what do you recommend instead? Are the mics in web cams up to the job?

PS. For those times when voice is a no no, the /alias command is your friend, especially if you have a keyboard (G15) or mouse that allows the alias to be attached to a key or button. Check this for use of the alias command:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=195161&highlight=%2Falias