PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Classed question/Opinion

Andromyr
11-08-2009, 12:36 AM
I have seen plenty here on multi classing and thought I would see the opinions of others. My question centers on even the levels need to be. Say you are able to get to LVL 20 and you chose Fighter/Rogue or Fighter/Cleric do you try to keep it even at 10/10 or give the greater share of levels to the main class say 12/8. At this point I am focusing on a single class (Fighter) but sooner or later I am going to try a multiclassed character. What is your opinion? For the record I would be more likely to go the Fighter/Rogue route since I have horrible luck with casters.

I thank you for your time and input.

Carlll
11-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Prestige Enhancements are very powerful (at least some of them) and are given at levels 6, 12 and 18. So typically you want to build your character in blocks of 6.
For Rogues and Monks a splash of 2 levels is popular too because it grants you Evasion - and allows an 18/2 or 12/6/2 build.

Kralgnax
11-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Spellcasters who multiclass typically want to get to at least level 17 (for 9th. level spells). Since the difference between two levels of a class and three is rarely that significant, it typically means 2 for splash build.

Exotic 12/6/2 builds are typically tricky

Usually you pick a class with synergies to your base, so clerics pick:
Fighter: martial weaponsm fighter feats, tower shields
Barbarian: martial weapons, rage
Monk: The ability to use WIS for AC if unarmored

Fore fighters, rogues, rangers and the like it's a bit more complicated. Some combos, like Pal 18/Ftr 2 work quite well, Ranger/MOnk, however, would be pretty much of a non-starter.