PDA

View Full Version : Casters and light armor

Widmore
11-07-2009, 11:29 PM
While recently playing and leveling my sorcerer, I got to the point of choosing new feats. I noticed one of those feats was light armor proficiency. I didn't chose it because of uncertainties.
So, my question is, is there any time or point a sorcerer or wizard would want light armor? Looking at the stats in the compendium, it seems all of the light armor has a spell failure check. So, are there circumstances where that would be a trade off for something better? Or do I just stick with cloth and spend the feat on something more useful?

Thanks

Cendaer
11-08-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm rather fond of building my arcane casters to wear light armor. In fact, almost all of them do wear light armor.

The thing to note, however, is that you do not need the light armor proficiency feat to wear the armor. (If there's a yellow ! on the icon, you can wear/use the item, but you'll also incur the not-proficient penalties) What the proficiency feat does, is negate the to-hit penalty. If you don't plan on swinging a weapon very often, you can still wear the armor for the AC, and not worry too much about not being proficient w/ it.

You can use the Arcane Fluidity Enhancement to counteract the chance of Arcane Spell Failure, but keep in mind that it will cost you many AP's to take it to the max. Also keep in mind that there are many different types of armor, and some of those types have reduced chances of ASF (Mithral, Darkweave, and Twilight are types of armor have lower chances of ASF).

With the right type of armor, and some AP's, you can effectively eliminate the chance of ASF. There are many who will debate whether or not the expenditure of AP's is actually worth it, but that's the beauty of DDO, you can do it if that's how you want to build it.

Widmore
11-08-2009, 12:31 AM
Thank you sir. A very well crafted answer.
I think that about explains what I needed to know.

Carlll
11-08-2009, 12:32 AM
So, my question is, is there any time or point a sorcerer or wizard would want light armor?
No.
At the low levels, you could achieve meaningful AC but you cant enhance the ASF away. And Mage Armor gives +4 Armor Bonus anyways.
At the mid levels, you cant achieve meaningful AC.
At the high levels with the best equipment, unarmored gives higher or equal AC than Light Armor. And you probably cant achieve meaningful AC as a Sorc.

Brennie
11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
No.
At the low levels, you could achieve meaningful AC but you cant enhance the ASF away. And Mage Armor gives +4 Armor Bonus anyways.
At the mid levels, you cant achieve meaningful AC.
At the high levels with the best equipment, unarmored gives higher or equal AC than Light Armor. And you probably cant achieve meaningful AC as a Sorc.

This is very very true.

Unlike other MMOs, DDO uses a system where more AC is not always better. Infact, there is only about a 20 point range of AC that has any impact whatsoever (Depending on what enemies you're fighting, I'm told around level 13ish the range is mid 30s to mid 50s). If you armor class is well above that, then you will always get hit 5% of the time. If you armor class is below that you will only be *missed* 5% of the time.

So, for example, if you managed to get your hands on mithrial twilight chain shirt at level 7, and decided to wear it, giving you a whopping total of 16 AC, you would have *exactly the same protection* as walking around in robes.

Long story short, at no point in a wizard/sorcerors career does light, medium, or heavy armor provide good benefit. At low levels it will help you get hit less, but also help yoru spells fail a lot more. At higher levels it is completely useless.

Robes have many beneficial effects useful to sorcerors, such as deathblock, invulnerability, spell resist, fearsome (Don't use in groups, it ticks teammates off!), energy resist, etc. These help, and when combined with Resists Energy spell, protection from energy/elements spell, blur/displacement, stoneskin, jump, nightsheild, haste, and other "neat sorceror tricks", your survivability is completely independant of your armor class.

Noctus
11-08-2009, 06:56 AM
This is very very true.

Unlike other MMOs, DDO uses a system where more AC is not always better. Infact, there is only about a 20 point range of AC that has any impact whatsoever (Depending on what enemies you're fighting, I'm told around level 13ish the range is mid 30s to mid 50s). If you armor class is well above that, then you will always get hit 5% of the time. If you armor class is below that you will only be *missed* 5% of the time.

So, for example, if you managed to get your hands on mithrial twilight chain shirt at level 7, and decided to wear it, giving you a whopping total of 16 AC, you would have *exactly the same protection* as walking around in robes.

Long story short, at no point in a wizard/sorcerors career does light, medium, or heavy armor provide good benefit. At low levels it will help you get hit less, but also help yoru spells fail a lot more. At higher levels it is completely useless.

Robes have many beneficial effects useful to sorcerors, such as deathblock, invulnerability, spell resist, fearsome (Don't use in groups, it ticks teammates off!), energy resist, etc. These help, and when combined with Resists Energy spell, protection from energy/elements spell, blur/displacement, stoneskin, jump, nightsheild, haste, and other "neat sorceror tricks", your survivability is completely independant of your armor class.

This. True. Fact.