PDA

View Full Version : We demand handrails in the harbor!

knightgf
11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
As my experience has proven to be quite helpful to me, I really do not need this suggestion yet. But I believe the majority do need it.

Over the past couple of weeks on the cannith server, i've noticed something odd in The Harbor lately. Left and right, people are falling off the large cliffs of the harbor, either to their deaths(most often), being incapped, or surviving the fall and taking loads of damage. Usually it is just one person, but sometimes i've seen another person fall alongside that person; one time, i've seen THREE people jump off the harbor cliff at once(Where Tavish Bronzefoot is pe...err, looking off into the harbor bay) and they all died. How sad. How very sad.

What's the solution? Simple. Have the coin lords put handrails on the harbor walkways and drop-offs so people can't accidentally fall off the cliffs to their death. That way, far less people die from falling off the cliff, and the people can save from having to fix their stuff and rez at a tavern. I mean, the main harbor IS considered a newbie area; far more accidents are likely to occur in a newbie area than in a area with experienced players. The handrails will not be built to be suicide proof though; if someone wants to kill themselves by flinging off a cliff to their death, they can feel free to do so, since they wont leave a body when they die, and if they somehow survive the fall, the city regeneration will allow the people to heal back at full health.

Does this seem like an odd idea? Yes, I do suppose that it might be awkward to propose to add simple handrails at the harbor walkways, where cliffs and drops are present. But would it be effective? Assuming they are built to specifications and are not bugged, the handrails would indeed be effective. Having handrails in the harbor will reduce fatalities in the harbor from accidental falls and not to mention still offer the choice of committing intentional suicide or feather falling the way down for those who are skillful in taking shortcuts.

Cedwin
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
lol. +1 rep for reminding me of my first time in the harbor.

Thanimal
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Yes!! I fell off the walkway to the Leaky Dinghy on my first day -- 3 years ago -- and that was completely unfun. In fact, I drowned, and was wondering why the heck I was playing this dumb-ass game and who thought it would be entertaining to fall to your death so easily!

The storylines all have rails -- why not the bridges and cliffs!?

BLAKROC
11-07-2009, 11:12 PM
and then how would the coin lords stay so wealthty if they eliminate the "accidental" deaths happening in the harbor?

Arnya
11-07-2009, 11:25 PM
If you can't make it round the harbour without killing yourelf on a regular basis, you will love quests like Coalescence Chamber...

This is a real 3-D game and if we add handrails everywhere we might as well flatten out all the maps, remove all ladders and make every quest a straight line from start to end.

Seriously, I worry about some new players, I really do.

I mean how the hell do they make it through the day in real life without killing themselves off? :)

Zippo
11-07-2009, 11:36 PM
If you can't make it round the harbour without killing yourelf on a regular basis, you will love quests like Coalescence Chamber...

This is a real 3-D game and if we add handrails everywhere we might as well flatten out all the maps, remove all ladders and make every quest a straight line from start to end.

Seriously, I worry about some new players, I really do.

I mean how the hell do they make it through the day in real life without killing themselves off? :)

Which brings us too this:

http://www.drunkenyeti.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/political-pictures-nascar-natural-selection.jpg

Arnya
11-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Absolutely brilliant.

+1

:)

sirgog
11-07-2009, 11:43 PM
This thread made me laugh. Not a bad idea, as long as people can easily take the shortcuts still (i.e. it's easy to jump over the handrail)

In before the hordes of "OMG n00b if you can't walk around the harbor without falling off a cliff then go fall off a cliff IRL" :)

Therigar
11-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Listen, they have given you drow in the Turbine Store. They've given you tomes. They've given you 32 point builds. They've basically sold out everything we who have been playing had to work our tails off to access.

I'll be dangnabbed if they're going to put handrails up in the harbor. Learn to walk you stinkin' n00b -- just like the rest of us had to. :D

And if the fall is killing you then it must suck to be in that perma-death guild. :eek:

Otherwise go back and try again till you figure it out. There are too many easy buttons right now (most with big dollar signs on them for Turbine I'm guessing). :rolleyes:

Rhysem
11-08-2009, 12:53 AM
No thanks! Go get a perma feather fall item. Or a feather fall clicky. Or play a monk. Or take the tumble skill.

I really like being able to take "the fast route" when I'm ready to.

Also I like trying to disturb people at the trainers by falling and dieing next to the bard trainer if I'm deleting/rerollng a character.

Strakeln
11-08-2009, 12:56 AM
Dying on the way to the Dinghy from Durks is a DDO rite of passage :D

CrimsonEagle
11-08-2009, 02:26 AM
one time, i've seen THREE people jump off the harbor cliff at once(Where Tavish Bronzefoot is pe...err, looking off into the harbor bay) and they all died. How sad. How very sad.

OMG I wish I would have been there to see that!!!!!

MissErres
11-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Oh why stop with handrails? I want ESCALATORS and ELEVATORS!! Just make it so my robe doesn't get caught and suck me under. :o

(LMAO! Best suggestion I've seen yet. +1 rep just for makin me laugh.)

Maegin
11-08-2009, 02:36 AM
Dying on the way to the Dinghy from Durks is a DDO rite of passage :D

lol so true :D

KillEveryone
11-08-2009, 05:06 AM
What...you can't hit the water? I always do. I quit using featherfall after I figured out where to jump from to hit the water. Featherfall takes too long to get down. It is nice to have though.

I will jump and take point damage after I get enough HP. It is faster than swimming from the water spot and since I'm in town then I'll heal soon enough.

I like to find the highest part in the game that I can get to and jump.

I wish there was a way to get to the top of the light house and jump. Some of the stuff on the cliff that you can't climb onto looks like fun to jump from.

If there were some type of aircraft...maybe flying carpets...I would take them as high as possible and jump from them. I would do it without featherfall to see how many hit points I would need to survive the fall, then when I get enough points, I would just jump for fun.

I like to jump from high places.

techwench
11-08-2009, 05:17 AM
I will jump and take point damage after I get enough HP. It is faster than swimming from the water spot and since I'm in town then I'll heal soon enough.
I do that, too.

At first, I fell because I didn't know now to navigate (seriously, I ran into trees and stayed there for 10+ seconds until I could figure out how to turn around). But then I started jumping off to see how much damage I would take (or progressively, how much less).

Now, it doesn't kill me when I fall...so I jump because it's faster and I'm already in town, anyway. :P

malthusian01
11-08-2009, 05:22 AM
Wonder if people know that if you are falling and you manage to scale the side of the hill or mountain you wont take any damage when you land no matter how far you fell..

techwench
11-08-2009, 05:33 AM
Wonder if people know that if you are falling and you manage to scale the side of the hill or mountain you wont take any damage when you land no matter how far you fell..
I do that when I don't have city regen to rely on. Learned that one by trial and error. Actually, I'm learning a lot just by trial and error. Eventually, I might even be able to change my signature. LOL!

KillEveryone
11-08-2009, 05:45 AM

I do that all the time in Korthos when I'm hitting the frost imps in the frozen creek area to kill the stuff in the wilderness.

This is one of the first things I have to try when I come accross the oppurtunity.

Cedwin
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM

House D, way up on top of the spire. That used to be the highest place in the game. I've jumped off of there many times. :D

Therigar
11-09-2009, 11:33 AM
House D, way up on top of the spire. That used to be the highest place in the game. I've jumped off of there many times. :D

Landing on top of the statue. :)

barghest
11-09-2009, 11:35 AM
Sounds like the beginning of a Stormreach Safety Committee to be...
I'm still a lil worried about someone losing a digit or two in those damn chest that close on you.:D

Zenako
11-09-2009, 11:39 AM

That is a good one.

For some nice base jumping options, Searing Heights has a few up near the top where you can see the Twelve (one of the explorers). In fact you kinda need to do some of that type stuff to actually get all the explorers.

A few places in the Vale have some nice jumps, especially if you follow the path up beyond and above rainbow in the dark to that outlook. Nice long fall/glide path.

Last night I had a real nice flight in the Refuge Explorer area with the Gnolls and Kobold quest. I was up high, started to drop down to an explorer but glanced off the cliff and then went flying sideways with afterburners right over the hill with the Warforged Rare. When I finally landed I was outside the zone wandering in the "land beyond" Finally fell into a crack and got stuck and had to recall. Cool, but lonely in the "land beyond".

OzmarDDO
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Reply to OP:

Boo! Let 'em die. New players need to learn to be careful before they start falling off cliffs in quests and into lava pits where the fall is really deadly and/or the consequences are much more inconvenient.

Let 'em learn to walk.

-Ozmar the Natural Selector

OzmarDDO
11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Listen, they have given you drow in the Turbine Store. They've given you tomes. They've given you 32 point builds. They've basically sold out everything we who have been playing had to work our tails off to access.

I'll be dangnabbed if they're going to put handrails up in the harbor. Learn to walk you stinkin' n00b -- just like the rest of us had to. :D

And if the fall is killing you then it must suck to be in that perma-death guild. :eek:

Otherwise go back and try again till you figure it out. There are too many easy buttons right now (most with big dollar signs on them for Turbine I'm guessing). :rolleyes:

New DDO store item? Portable railings? Training wheels?

-Ozmar the Marketer

Shamurai
11-09-2009, 11:46 AM
Get knocked off the Tempest Spine by Sor'jek... if you have feather fall on.. you can make a whole bowl of EZ-Mac and cheese and still be falling until well into the 8th (and often final bite)

OzmarDDO
11-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Sounds like the beginning of a Stormreach Safety Committee to be...
I'm still a lil worried about someone losing a digit or two in those damn chest that close on you.:D

Talking about safety committee... I have a few complaints about some ill-considered devices in various sewers that appear to be of unsafe design.

-Ozmar the Trapsmith

Zaal
11-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Those weren't accidents!!!! They were suicides related to news of the stock market crash... err... Tome Nerf !!!

Cedwin
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
A few places in the Vale have some nice jumps, especially if you follow the path up beyond and above rainbow in the dark to that outlook. Nice long fall/glide path.

That was part of my regular loot run out there, hit the named elemental, named devil, up the hill to the named troll, then all the way up to the overlook, and glide over to the bat cave. :D

Zaal
11-09-2009, 12:05 PM
There's this lake in Waco that has as a channel just perfect for speed boat racing.
...So there's like a strech of water analogous to a strip of racing track...

Anyway, on one side is the spectators area complete with grand stands, etc.

The other side is a sorta a mountain side with the face of the mountain almost a sheer drop to the lake below. Those of use who were "free spirited" would reach this perch , find spots to sit overlooking the water , drink beer and smokes... um... ciggys... and watch the race unfold below us.

One year someone decided to bring along a few stuffed dummies and had them "seated" next to the fleshlings... You can imagine what happened next... and how that event was perceived by the flock seated in the grandstands on the other side of the river ;)

Individual
11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Reminds me of the Market Place Tent days, with nothing preventing you from falling off the tops.

THAC0
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
As my experience has proven to be quite helpful to me, I really do not need this suggestion yet. But I believe the majority do need it.

Over the past couple of weeks on the cannith server, i've noticed something odd in The Harbor lately. Left and right, people are falling off the large cliffs of the harbor, either to their deaths(most often), being incapped, or surviving the fall and taking loads of damage. Usually it is just one person, but sometimes i've seen another person fall alongside that person; one time, i've seen THREE people jump off the harbor cliff at once(Where Tavish Bronzefoot is pe...err, looking off into the harbor bay) and they all died. How sad. How very sad.

What's the solution? Simple. Have the coin lords put handrails on the harbor walkways and drop-offs so people can't accidentally fall off the cliffs to their death. That way, far less people die from falling off the cliff, and the people can save from having to fix their stuff and rez at a tavern. I mean, the main harbor IS considered a newbie area; far more accidents are likely to occur in a newbie area than in a area with experienced players. The handrails will not be built to be suicide proof though; if someone wants to kill themselves by flinging off a cliff to their death, they can feel free to do so, since they wont leave a body when they die, and if they somehow survive the fall, the city regeneration will allow the people to heal back at full health.

Does this seem like an odd idea? Yes, I do suppose that it might be awkward to propose to add simple handrails at the harbor walkways, where cliffs and drops are present. But would it be effective? Assuming they are built to specifications and are not bugged, the handrails would indeed be effective. Having handrails in the harbor will reduce fatalities in the harbor from accidental falls and not to mention still offer the choice of committing intentional suicide or feather falling the way down for those who are skillful in taking shortcuts.

LOL this is the funniest thing I've read in a while here. And, so true. Not sure about the need for rails...as it would impact the lovely view... but, perhaps a rope 'divider' at the edges of the piers and down the ramps.

Or better yet, a huge fish net along the side to catch everyone who slips. :)

+1

markusthelion
11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Ever jump off the floating island in Von part 6? I'd say thats the highest point in game, you can float for like 10 mins. I mean....you die..but the quest if finished anyways so why not go for it!

Zaal
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Next we can swap out greatswords with a nerf substitute so's we don't accidentally cut off out heads.

Or perhaps add an elevator option to all quests with a scary drop off... perhaps a trampoline complete with a ring of fire fighters hold it... Or perhaps a feather fall zone where you get the buff as soon as you cross the edge of the cliff face... Or how about a teleporter?

It's a fun thread but do we really need more training wheels?

Cedwin
11-09-2009, 12:34 PM
It's a fun thread but do we really need more training wheels?

Remember saving a shrine at the end of a quest so you could go to another quest without waiting in the tavern for 10 minutes? ;)

Zaal
11-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Remember saving a shrine at the end of a quest so you could go to another quest without waiting in the tavern for 10 minutes? ;)

Ya got me there... more Tarter Sauce!

Zenako
11-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Oh gheesh spring for some food and drink for that starving toon at least...you are in and out in a minute....:D

Fridas
11-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Ok, I admit it, my first day in the harbor I fell of the steps of the leaky dingy, I was mortified, and looked to make sure no one was watching. Then I started swimming, and swam into 2 other toons swimming for the stairs. At least I wasn't the only one.

I am most definitely the newest newbie you will ever see, I run into things, I fall off ramps (shudder) like in Misery's Peak (once into 3 glass spiders) and I have a knack for falling in the water in the sewers. But, I am getting better and I always have fun, it just makes me a little afraid to join groups, lol, you have no idea how some would react to a group member constantly getting stuck in a wall or falling. Best to solo for now.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has thought of jumping off cliffs just to see what happens and I have wondered where is the tallest point in the game, so I have that to look forward to.

FYI, that gangly, awkward running elf ranger you see in the harbor and MP........is probably me.

Ardenburl
11-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Teleport and get the "OPPS" message its a long fall!

OR

How about that guy in your party that always falls in the lava! Had one in GH runs two days ago, died 8 times in lava... I kept raising him and he was very apologetic ( I was laughing so hard I cried.) all I said to him, was "Its your repair bill!"

Thanimal
11-09-2009, 07:53 PM

A quest it seems almost everyone hates...

Making the game more fun is a good thing, which some people on this thread appear to have forgotten. (The particular topic here is rather tongue in cheek, but still -- the vehement responses against it are funny.)

Oooh don't tease me. Where can I get THAT spell!? 3D is sooo over-rated. (Though I won't say the same for triple-D.)

Well, let's see: I begin by not walking anywhere where a single misstep would lead to my death... :)

Twerpp
11-09-2009, 08:12 PM

http://www.drunkenyeti.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/political-pictures-nascar-natural-selection.jpg

LOL.

Personally I jump straight out into the water. Jump from the very top, aim to the slight right of the ramp in the water, hold down the jump button as if swimming up, if you dont sometimes you will hit the bottom of the pool and take all the falling damage. Its fun. I guess handrails would just give you more height to jump from so its fine by me.

Chimaira
11-09-2009, 08:20 PM
What...you can't hit the water? I always do. I quit using featherfall after I figured out where to jump from to hit the water. Featherfall takes too long to get down. It is nice to have though.

I wish there was a way to get to the top of the light house and jump. Some of the stuff on the cliff that you can't climb onto looks like fun to jump from.

If there were some type of aircraft...maybe flying carpets...I would take them as high as possible and jump from them. I would do it without featherfall to see how many hit points I would need to survive the fall, then when I get enough points, I would just jump for fun.

I like to jump from high places.

Ok you will absolutely LOVE this, although you might already know about it. In which case, too bad. Ok, get teleport. A clicky, or a mage, anything will do. Now cast it, over and over again and keep porting. Until...well...

Its a surprise.

RangerOne
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
I, too, have fallen off the Dinghy.

I have missed the walkway outside the Market and slid down the rock to the Waterworks.

I leaped off Korthos near the Overlook. Thought I would make the water. I didn't.

Where have YOU fallen?

bokaboka
11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Typing on the Leaky Dinghy platform when someone shared a quest. I auto-ran right into the deep end. Sploosh! :)

Charging back towards an instance after a death so i could get back in before it reset, only to take -6 or so falling damage and lying right on the Marketplace's dirt floor incapped for a little while.

RangerOne
11-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the memories Bokaboka, I had almost forgotten the most insidious cause of falls: failing to hit enter before typing and thus initiating auto run, turning off your auto target and your mouse look simultaneously and then plunging over a cliff. This also works for run running straight into a wall.

Arnya
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the memories Bokaboka, I had almost forgotten the most insidious cause of falls: failing to hit enter before typing and thus initiating auto run, turning off your auto target and your mouse look simultaneously and then plunging over a cliff. This also works for run running straight into a wall.

First rule of DDO: create character, log in, disable R = autorun :)

Second rule: disable profanity filter ;)