PDA

View Full Version : New player - some simple questions.

gripssl
11-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I have rolled a Rogue and a Bard both human. I will F2P until I get a good feel for the game.

So I am just starting out and I have played a rogue on WoW for over 4 years and I love the idea of a rogue here finding and disarming traps and all that good stuff. My questions are for the Rogue since it will be my main for now.

Is just about any build viable as long as I am not trying to do things other classes can do better than me?

Hybrid builds seem to be pretty normal around here upon researching the forums. Are there pure builds that do well?

Are clickable skills worth using or is just holding the LMB and trying to gain side and rear positioning on mobs the thing to do?

If I am sneaking and engage a mob and he eventually knocks me out of sneak does it make sense to reapply the sneak skill while I am fighting him to try and gain a sneak attack or finish off the mob first then reapply sneak.

If I get outnumbered by mobs can I run away use sneak and lose their focus if I am far enough away to lose agro?

UMD is a skill that is interesting to me. It is worth it to use wands that do damage or other such devices that cause damage or are they more for curing or healing myself of negative spell affects or granting buffs?

Melee vs. Range. Do I ever want to use ranged weapons or will I never have trouble getting into melee range?

Should I just play the game and figure out all this stuff by myself?

I am just worried about building a bad toon and not playing it right I already rerolled my toon a few times and didn't even get him to level one to fiddle with my starting stats and skills. I love the control of deciding every decision for a build so I only choose custom.

sirdanile
11-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Is just about any build viable as long as I am not trying to do things other classes can do better than me?

(Sort of, you can really mess up a build if you're not careful though, load 'er up into rons character planner and we'll critique it for you.)

Hybrid builds seem to be pretty normal around here upon researching the forums. Are there pure builds that do well?

(Pure builds work just as well as multi-class builds, in fact most people would recommend going pure for your first character.)

Are clickable skills worth using or is just holding the LMB and trying to gain side and rear positioning on mobs the thing to do?

(Totally worth it, rogue haste boost being the best for combat.)

If I am sneaking and engage a mob and he eventually knocks me out of sneak does it make sense to reapply the sneak skill while I am fighting him to try and gain a sneak attack or finish off the mob first then reapply sneak.

(You don't need to be in stealth to sneak attack, just can't have the monsters attention, so if they're swinging at someone else you're doing more damage, take the subtle backstabbing enhancements when you can and make sure to drag them to your hot bar, it helps a lot! Oh and if you're just sneaking around in general it's best to avoid combat, if you do have to fight do it outside of stealth 'cause you attack faster.)

If I get outnumbered by mobs can I run away use sneak and lose their focus if I am far enough away to lose agro?

(monsters tend to have a "radar" and follow you after you've engaged them, you can "sort of" lose them, youtube for ghoste / arcaneconstruct's shadowmage vids, a lot of the stuff applies to rogues as well.)

UMD is a skill that is interesting to me. It is worth it to use wands that do damage or other such devices that cause damage or are they more for curing or healing myself of negative spell affects or granting buffs?

(Max rank umd, you can umd scrolls such as raise dead, heal, wands are cheaper than pots and thus useful for out of combat healing and even sort of useful in combat if you run around while using them.)

Melee vs. Range. Do I ever want to use ranged weapons or will I never have trouble getting into melee range?

(ranged weapons can only sneak attack within 30 feet of an enemy, and considering range is weaker than melee 99/100 of the time i'd go with melee.)

(It's good to ask questions but nothing beats experience.)

Answers in ()s

Faelyndel
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM

I am just worried about building a bad toon and not playing it right I already rerolled my toon a few times and didn't even get him to level one to fiddle with my starting stats and skills. I love the control of deciding every decision for a build so I only choose custom.
The only build that is "not" viable is if you specifically gimp yourself, like making a fighter without STR and CON or a Wizard with no INT. Pure classes are certainly viable, especially for caster classes, such as your bard. In particular for newer players who aren't as aware of the potential pros and cons or multiclassing, and what levels to take what class at, pure classes are going to be a lot easier to get the hang of. While you can gain things from multiclassing, there are also negatives that you have to take into consideration.
UMD is an excellent, and I've never heard of a bard or rogue who doesn't take it. You are correct, generally wands are used for healing, curing and, to some extent, buffing. In the case of buffing, they won't last as long as the same buff cast by another player. UMD can also be used to wear armour that would otherwise be restricted due to Race or Alignment.
Unfortunately, ranged combat is awful in DDO. You'd be better off melee'ing.
While alot of the skills and such will be learned from playing and getting used to the game, but it never hurts to get some advice from the, generally, nice community.
Choosing custom is a wise move, assuming you have some idea of how the class works, because the pre-made "paths" aren't very good and get worse at higher levels.

Hope you helped you, and that others can answer the questions i was unable to. Welcome, and have fun.

Chazzie
11-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm going to let the hard core vets help you out with all your ? ,but I just wanted to stop by and say +1 rep (which I dont hand out like candy) and a tip of the hat. I wish more of our new player base would do there homework through the forums as you are doing. :)

I started the game with a old school D&D background which helped but you kinda need to throw it out the window and like in PnP you need to read,read and O-Ummm read some more. DDO had become easier since the day I started but it still has a BIG learning curve. I started with a Dwarf Bab so I could go through most content to get a feal for the game but omg I spent almost all my plat on Pots to take care of myself even with being in a party. Even though he's long gone I miss that 1st toon I rolled :( :)

A couple of other references for DDO if you dont know:

DDO wikkie~ This guy works his backside off and its a awsome place to do reaserch

Game guide program~again player made program filled with info that will help you out (Flippin Awsome Program)

DDOcast.com ~ (Woohoo to Jerry and crew) This weekly podcast will keep you up to date on whats going on in DDO and some awsome advice.

Theres links to all these places here on the DDO main Forums,Keep on your path your on the right track :)

Chazz

7-day_Trial_Monkey
11-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Some points on hiding and sneak. As mentioned above, you don't have to be hidden to get your sneak attack damage. So long as the mob is not agro'd on you, you get the sneak. If a mob is facing you, you can click the skill 'bluff'. If it succeeds, you get a few seconds of sneak attacks on the mob even if he is agro'd on you. The skill diplomacy, if successfull, will cause the mob to switch off you and onto someone else. If you are soloing, it will have no effect. Although bluff works just fine if soloing.

If you run away, and around a corner and activate sneak, they will run to that spot and look for you by swinging in the area. If you are the only one in the dungeon they pretty much zero in on you. If you are part of a group, they give up pretty quick.

To make a viable pure rogue you need to spend max skill ranks in: disable device, search, spot, open locks. You should also wear the best +item to those skills as you level up. Starting with a +3, then +5, +7 et... You don't necessarily have to wear them all the time. I wear a +spot pair of goggles when walking around. When I spot a trap or secret door, I switch to +search goggles. And for a trap I then switch to a pair of +disable goggles. The action boost for skills is a good enhancement to have also, for those elite quests with higher skill levels needed to get the rogue job done.

And don't neglect str and con! It's nice to be able to do some damage in melee when mobs are immune to sneak damage and more hp is always good for those times when the trap box is on the other side of the trap. You will fail a save now and then.

gripssl
11-07-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for stopping by and helping out.

Their is so many different factors in this game to understand that it is almost overwhelming. Like which weapons to use for which monsters, what + gear to wear and when, etc. I didn't start with NO knowledge of the stat system I used to play the SSI series of PC games that included Pool of Radience, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Champions of Krynn but I definitely need a refresher.

Is my assumption of a pure rogues role priorities correct?

1. Traps - finding and disarming
2. Doors and Chests - finding and unlocking
3. DPS

So 1 and 2 probably go together but 3 is the primary goal of the former game I played but I have no problem prioritizing the proper role.

I think I need to get the concept of killing every monster in a dungeon or instance out of my mind since they don't drop loot. I plan on getting into a guild but I tend to be more of a solo player again due to the wretched mess that WoW is.