PDA

View Full Version : Clarification on Critical Rolls and Feats

ivar415
11-07-2009, 11:06 AM
So I´m a bit confused here.

We have this "Power Critical" feat and the fighter enhancement "Critical Accuracy". Both are described as "Grants a +x bonus to confirm critical hits".
So first question is do those two stack, and how exactly do they work?

Right now I understand this as a permanent bonus to your Roll determining if you get a critical hit.
Which would mean the effective critical range of a Rapier (18-20) would come down to 14-20 in case of the Power Critical feat(+4). Which would be awesome.

I am a bit rusty on my D&D lore here and probably wrong somewhere, right?

IronAngel
11-07-2009, 11:09 AM
It does not enhance the crit threat range, that is done by improved crit. The definition of Confirming crit is after you roll a possible crit, in the case of rapier 18-20. Then you roll again to see if you hit the monster ac again. If you then it is a confirmed crit rool, if you miss it is just a hit. The +4 to confirm crit adds to your second die rool to confirm the crit.

Nyvn
11-07-2009, 11:33 AM
When you get a critical hit, you must roll a second time to confirm it. The Second roll does not need to be a critical. merely a hit. Critical Accuracy and Power Critical add to hit on the confirmation roll. They stack, but as you only need to hit and not get a second critical to confirm they're not a good investment of a feat or AP.

ivar415
11-07-2009, 11:45 AM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
It´s indeed not a very good investment.

Quintun
11-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.
It´s indeed not a very good investment.

Other than needing them for a PRE I dont know of anyone who uses them.