PDA

View Full Version : Archery Addons

jcoffey
11-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Archery is lacking,everyone and thier mother know this.
Raids turn down "Arcane Rangers" because of this.

First make Archery Viable,no reason not too. Casters can do tons more damage from the same range.Mana pots are abundant and they can cast while running full speed with enhancements.

Next adding different arrow types like Blunt and Slashing arrows to adjust for the different mobs.

Make archery do comparable damage to melee,other online games have so DDO should be no different.
Don't jump back to PnP rules because DDO already veered off that road with other things as far as the way other classes work now.

Also please make it so free players have thier own auction and not be able to post on a VIP one. The prices are out of hand as it is and at least this way we could try and track down the culprits.

Depravity
11-07-2009, 05:24 AM
First off, take a chill pill. Double posting (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=212631) like this doesn't help your case at all.
Yes, you got turned down for a tempest spine run. it happens, deal with it. They may very well have been saving spots or otherwise had a reason not to take you along.

Archery is lacking,everyone and thier mother know this.
Raids turn down "Arcane Rangers" because of this.

Correction, archery is not an easy button, nor should it be. This has been rehashed time and time again on the forums, and you don't even get to claim newb status as an excuse for not reading it before. Archery gives you damage output comparable or better than sword and board with minimal risk to yourself. It should never produce sustained output comparable to TWF or THF without exposing the player to similar risks.

First make Archery Viable,no reason not to. Casters can do tons more damage from the same range.Mana pots are abundant and they can cast while running full speed with enhancements.

By running full speed, I assume you mean the mobile spellcasting feat (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Mobile_Spellcasting), which pretty much nobody takes. Two feats for "nearly full speed" ? No thank you. Most casters get a jump spell going and then twitch their way to full speed. Archers can do this too.

And funny, I have a couple level 20 characters that take mana pots every chance they get and I still save pots for special occasions. They aren't common enough to nuke full blast all the time in every quest. Casters make up for insane damage output by being likely to die shortly after ticking everything off via said damage output.

If you're having problems running when being chased, try not shooting. The melees take a chance at being hit when they fight something chasing them, why shouldn't you? Turn autoattack off, and learn when to release your attack mousebutton.

Make archery do comparable damage to melee,other online games have so DDO should be no different.

Archery is comparable to melee - sword and board melee. Firing speed averaged over manyshot and non manyshot time periods is roughly the same attack speed as a single weapon swinging (this may have changed since the last round of speed updates. I'll have to see if cforce or monkey_archer have got anything up).
You get strength bonus, bow properties, and stackable arrow properties, plus whatever goodies arcane archer is handing out atm. Not to mention you better be hitting at least two things every shot, courtesy of improved precision.
S&B gets strength bonus and a single weapon's properties. With only one target a swing.
Advantage: archery. Exactly how is archery not comparable to melee?

Also please make it so free players have thier own auction and not be able to post on a VIP one. The prices are out of hand as it is and at least this way we could try and track down the culprits.

Kindly tell me how the free to play crowd are paying those prices when they have a gold cap (or for that matter, collecting them). If you think it's too expensive, don't buy it. It's an auction house, not a charity and people will charge whatever other people will pay. We've dealt with plat farmers charging outrageous prices for , oh, 3 years or so. I hardly think the freepers are going to break things much more.