PDA

View Full Version : Wiz/Bard Build

Sisho21
11-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Okay...so I thought of an idea, but I'm not completely sure if it will work correctly, and considering the character I want to test it on is level 7, I don't want to mess up and waste a level completely just to test something and find it doesn't work. My wizard is level 7. Bards get armored casting at first level, which allows them to cast arcane spells in light armor without the arcane spell failure. On DDOwiki it says "The Bard has simpler spells, allowing him to cast while in light armor without Arcane Spell Failure. This does not extend to heavier armors or shields." So what I'm wondering, does that feat only work for spells that a bard gets access to, or will it work on all arcane spells, allowing me to wear light armor on my wizard for some extra AC without having to worry about keeping mage armor with me, which will only give me +4 AC anyway opposed to something such as a mithril breastplate. Anyway, long explanation short, if I cross-class to 7 wizard/1 bard, will wearing light armor affect my wizard spells at all, or will I be able to cast spells in any light armor with no chance of spell failure?

malthusian01
11-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Good rule of thumb to go by.

AC is worthless for Wiz/Sorcs. Dont gimp yourself by going 1 bard.

Sisho21
11-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Okaaay....that's not what I asked. And regardless, AC is useful for any class at all, no matter what you are. Just because you aren't on the front line doesn't mean monsters won't ever go for you, and I intend to have the best possible protection from their attacks I possibly can. Anyway, I'd like an actual answer to my question, instead of something that doesn't help me at all.

malthusian01
11-07-2009, 12:11 AM
AC is useful for any class at all, no matter what you are. Just because you aren't on the front line doesn't mean monsters won't ever go for you, and I intend to have the best possible protection from their attacks I possibly can.

Have fun with that. Good luck.

Freeman
11-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Okaaay....that's not what I asked. And regardless, AC is useful for any class at all, no matter what you are. Just because you aren't on the front line doesn't mean monsters won't ever go for you, and I intend to have the best possible protection from their attacks I possibly can. Anyway, I'd like an actual answer to my question, instead of something that doesn't help me at all.

AC is only useful if a mob misses you on anything above a 1. If a monster has a +50 to their attack bonus(Fairly standard in level 13+ quests), then any AC below 50 is useless. Unless you think adding that +1(Difference between a mithril breastplate and Mage Armor) AC will bring you up to the mid 60s at high levels, then it isn't worth it to splash bard. Besides, it shouldn't eliminate the ASF for your wizard spells. I can't say if it does currently, since there was a bug allowing it awhile back. Either way, it is still a bad idea, since the AC won't help you and you'll lose out on the Wizard capstone.

In other words, cast Stoneskin and Displacement and forget the AC if you plan to be a spellcasting wizard.

Jay203
11-07-2009, 12:29 AM
sorry to burst your bubble
but Bard's bypass to the arcane spell failure while wearing light armor applies to the bard spells only
unless, of course, they changed it

Ghoste
11-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Jay's right. You will only be ignoring the spell failure for whatever spells you get when taking your bard level. All your wizard spells will be subject to the full spell failure.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
11-07-2009, 12:41 AM

You are missing the point.

By the time you are level 15 or so, if your ac is 40 or your ac 0 you will still get hit 95% of the time. The mobs will only miss when they roll a 1.

Do not give up anything on a wiz for the sake of a bit of ac. It will be a big mistake.

The only thing not helping is your blindness to the good advice you were given.

Ghoste
11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugYSgIgXAbo) might be more along the lines of what you are looking for.

Quintun
11-07-2009, 12:57 AM

No AC is not always useful. If you are not in the mid 60s or so end game you might as well be at 0.

Sisho21
11-07-2009, 01:00 AM
Alright then, that's all I really needed to know, so thanks to those that actually answered the question I asked. It doesn't really make a difference about anything past level 13, because the character is f2p and I really don't intend to ever use anything p2p on him, so he most likely won't be going past level 12 or so, but since the ASF removal doesn't apply to the wizard spells I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Anyway, thanks to those that actually answered my question instead of trying to bash on my ideas and be insulting. Thanks for the vid to btw, definitely helpful.

malthusian01
11-07-2009, 01:02 AM
If that was directed at me, you took what I said out of context.

Anyways good luck to you.

ivar415
11-07-2009, 01:06 AM
Damit, so basically any AC is useless unless it goes above the magic general threshold of ALL the monsters?

This means displacement and similar spells are the only real protection?
Frack, so I have to get the Lesser Dragonmark of Shadow on my Elf Ranger. :(

malthusian01
11-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Yup, jump displacement haste stoneskin etc

Quintun
11-07-2009, 01:08 AM
Alright then, that's all I really needed to know, so thanks to those that actually answered the question I asked. It doesn't really make a difference about anything past level 13, because the character is f2p and I really don't intend to ever use anything p2p on him, so he most likely won't be going past level 12 or so, but since the ASF removal doesn't apply to the wizard spells I suppose it doesn't make much difference. Anyway, thanks to those that actually answered my question instead of trying to bash on my ideas and be insulting. Thanks for the vid to btw, definitely helpful.

It was not insulting it was honest. But hey why listen to those who know more when you ask questions. Why ask for advice if you are going to insult those who tell you the truth. AC and Wizards do not mix.

Since you are staying F2P you do not help the game grow anyway.

Quintun
11-07-2009, 01:11 AM
Damit, so basically any AC is useless unless it goes above the magic general threshold of ALL the monsters?

No you do not. You can always get HPs to offset lowered AC. You have options. The AC option just happens to have numbers that must be hit in order to be good. Early game a mid 30s is OK, once you hit Gianthold though things change and if you can not continue to increase AC you have to find ways to offset the damage.

Do not forget if you do not pull aggro your AC rarely comes into play.

Ghoste
11-07-2009, 09:31 AM

Since we're talking about casters in this thread, a passive/active DR combo is also a very viable option as demonstrated in the video I linked above.

Freeman
11-07-2009, 10:46 AM

AC can be useful for any character at lower levels with minimal effort.(WF barbs often take the adamantine body feat at lower levels for more AC, then swap it out later) However, that usefulness will fade in the early teens for most characters without serious effort to maintain a high AC. You just have to make sure that you won't hurt your character over the long term. Most people on the forums always examine build choices with the expectation that the character will eventually reach high levels, and they are going to make make comments based on that assumption. I don't think it is an unreasonable assumption, since those who don't plan on playing won't usually ask for advice here.