PDA

View Full Version : SP Cost?

Shumanfoo
11-06-2009, 01:33 PM
I remember seeing it before, but now can't find it for the life of me. What is the cost of each the the spell levels? I think it is 10 for lvl1 and then +5 for each level, correct? When I pull up spells in the compendium and hover over, it displays all the info except spell cost (which is just blank).

This stems from a comment I read about emp healing not being worth "doubling the spell cost" because it just overheals. But emp healing states spells cost +10SP so other than lvl1 spells I don't see how they "double" in cost.
~Shu

Visty
11-06-2009, 01:39 PM
10sp lvl1
+5 every other lvl

as you said, yes

Zenako
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I remember seeing it before, but now can't find it for the life of me. What is the cost of each the the spell levels? I think it is 10 for lvl1 and then +5 for each level, correct? When I pull up spells in the compendium and hover over, it displays all the info except spell cost (which is just blank).

This stems from a comment I read about emp healing not being worth "doubling the spell cost" because it just overheals. But emp healing states spells cost +10SP so other than lvl1 spells I don't see how they "double" in cost.
~Shu

Perhaps the comment about being worth the cost was in context of many of the Meta Magic feats. With the Meta costing a fixed cost in SP, you can often determine if the added cost is worth it. Example: Cure Moderate Wound does 2d8+3 base healing. Level 2 spell and costs 15 SP. Cure Serious Wounds does 3d8+5 base healing and costs 20 SP.

Is it better to cast an Empowered Healing CMW spell that costs an extra 10 Spell points (25 now) or a simple CSW wounds spell for 20 Spell points. (assuming of course that amount of healing needed was suitable to that spell. Pretty much all other boosts to spells apply evenly over both spells so are being ignored in this comparison. Cure Critical Wounds does 4d8+7 for 25 Spell Points or actaully more than the Empowered Cure Moderate Wounds spell would do.

Since most of the time you have a Meta Magic Feat, it is often the case that players get lazy and leave it turned on all the time. In those cases you do often end up over healing.

Once you start to cast spells like HEAL, and the Cure Mass Wounds spells, the math becomes a bit different, but on the lower level Cure spells, it is often not the case that Empowered Healing makes sense, UNLESS you also spend some Action Points on making it cost less.

What it DOES do however, is raise the RATE of healing you can achieve, even at a cost, and when a battle is going bad, it is often the RATE of healing that matters, more than the spell point efficiency of healing.