PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to solo 1-20? Any solo guide out there?

kerlin
11-06-2009, 10:03 AM
So far I have been exclusively a solo player (level 10 favored soul). I have not seen any guides geared toward a solo player. I am finding that most quests at my level are group based.

Is it possible to solo all the way to 20?
Which adventure packs should I purchase?
I see level ranges for adventure packs, but those level ranges seem to assume group play. Does anyone know at what level each adventure pack is soloable for a favored soul (and maybe a hireling)?

Thanks for the help!

Kerlin

Cupcake
11-06-2009, 12:40 PM
So far I have been exclusively a solo player (level 10 favored soul). I have not seen any guides geared toward a solo player. I am finding that most quests at my level are group based.

Is it possible to solo all the way to 20?
Which adventure packs should I purchase?
I see level ranges for adventure packs, but those level ranges seem to assume group play. Does anyone know at what level each adventure pack is soloable for a favored soul (and maybe a hireling)?

Thanks for the help!

Kerlin

Try this (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=84196) one. Or that thread. I thought Vig wrote a soloers guide.

I'm sure alot of people will tell you with experience you can probably solo to 20.

Adventure packs: Personally:
Sharn Syndicate for lower (good weapons for low levels and they are bind to account)
STK (possible feather fall ring no ML and other nice items)
Deleras (great xp 5-10 ish range golden cartouche and other nice items)
Sorrowdusk (good xp, mumified bat (feather fall plus something ML 7)
Tangleroot (nice items +3 dex, str con ML 5 plus a few others)
Desert (great xp, bloodstone, other reasons)
Gianthold (nice xp fun quests, not sure on loot)
The Vale (THE place to go for exploration areas if you are broke LVL 12 on up)

Cupcake
11-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Sharn 2-5. Any higher would cut into xp
STK (Shan to Kor) 3-7 normal runs. 5-8 elite i would say.
Tangleroot 3-7. 5-8 at least elite especially for last 2 parts. (7 part quest)
Sorrowdusk 4-8 8-10 elite (at least for next to last part, 6 part quest well CO6 that is)
Deleras 4-7 normal not quite soloable, but with a hireling and you go slow, doable. We two manned it. 4 part quest. 1-3, then 4 is sorta separate.

moonprophet
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
...that you are strictly running solo? Antisocial? rare disease contageous through group contact in an MMO? Just want the challange? There is a reason that this is called an MMO. Although I beleive with enough grinding and experience, you certainly could solo to 20, why would you want to? The game is certainly not geared for it.

In any case, I beleive we figured out that you get to level 20 doing little more than explorer areas. All of these are certainly soloable, but I would not wish the boredom on my worst enemy.

Gunga
11-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Won't you go blind if you solo that much?

MomawNadon78
11-06-2009, 01:08 PM
...that you are strictly running solo? Antisocial? rare disease contageous through group contact in an MMO? Just want the challange? There is a reason that this is called an MMO. Although I beleive with enough grinding and experience, you certainly could solo to 20, why would you want to? The game is certainly not geared for it.

In any case, I beleive we figured out that you get to level 20 doing little more than explorer areas. All of these are certainly soloable, but I would not wish the boredom on my worst enemy.

While I'm not doing it, I certainly understand why he'd want to do it. Personally, about 1/2 the times I group up, its with idiots who rush as quick as possible thru a quest - even if they've never been in it - not waiting on anyone to spot traps, cast buffs, etc; even after requests to stick together, let the rogue or ranger lead. Then of course comes the groups with minimal communication, that when you ask any question its met with silence.

I like taking my time to explore a quest and make sure I got everything, I understand most aren't like that. So I've gone back and solo'd a number of quests simply for my own enjoyment.

alcmaeon
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I understand wanting to solo, but you will level MUCH faster even in pug groups than solo. If time is not a problem, than its your game to play as you want.

Take advantage of the hireling clerics, even as a favored soul a hireling with rez will save many a quest when you solo. Keep all the spell clickies that are even marginally useful. Haste, lesser restore, find secret doors, energy protects, invis pots, etc

Gianthold is the place to be for 10-12th level but can be hard to solo. PoP used to be soloable but I don't know if they have fixed the ability to get through the energy barriers or not. Crucible?? Don’t know if you can get past the maze solo, but it would be a pain even if you could. Slayers in the orchard at 10th level, the vale at 12, than the refuge and than the battlefield after that. Vale slayers are worth a huge amount, 1500 is something like 30,000 xp, 5000 is 50,000 xp and you do one set for Lammainains (sp) and one for Shavarath (sp) so that’s 2 slayers to 5000 each in the vale. Once you have a handle on how to utilize hirelings I think all of the vale quests are soloable, though a pain to do so. Col Chamber is the easiest but is time consuming. Banishing is your friend out there.

Good luck!

Gol
11-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Ever since dungeon scaling, you'd be hard pressed to justify doing slayers in a group IMO.

Belowme
11-06-2009, 04:14 PM
While I'm not doing it, I certainly understand why he'd want to do it. Personally, about 1/2 the times I group up, its with idiots who rush as quick as possible thru a quest - even if they've never been in it - not waiting on anyone to spot traps, cast buffs, etc; even after requests to stick together, let the rogue or ranger lead. Then of course comes the groups with minimal communication, that when you ask any question its met with silence.

I like taking my time to explore a quest and make sure I got everything, I understand most aren't like that. So I've gone back and solo'd a number of quests simply for my own enjoyment.

You have no idea how much i agree with you. I'm frankly tired of blind invites on my cleric (which i do occasionally accept, usually out of morbid curiosity) and then i end up in some dungeon ive never been in before, so obviously im lost right off the bat. And before im even finished teleporting in, half the group is already a hundred yards in killing everything that moves, ignoring everything that doesn't (like a secret door), getting split up, and getting dead.
"Hey wait, theres an optional here.... too late everyone recalled"
"Hey I'm dead here because you left me behind, can someone take a minute to bring me to a shrine so i can get some loot out of those five chests you've opened? ...too late everyone recalled"
I freaking hate zergs. No, I'm not neccessarily antisocial, but how is bum rushing, damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-aheading a dungeon any more "social"?
So when im in a "zerg" group and theres a rogue with us and you run blindly into that acid trap that just melted your face, or walk right into the spinning blades that just turned you into fresh chunks of dire wolf treats, no im not going to take you to a shrine. I'll let one of your zerg buddies do it for you.

Perhaps they need to increase the rewards for teamwork and exploration (secret doors, disabling traps, blowing things up, etc) in order to incentivise people to actually DO those things more. It's yet another fundamental part of D&D that seems to have gotten "lost in translation" from PnP.

Please bear in mind that the preceding has been an amalgamation of my own personal experiences that have been chunked and formed into my own opinion. Your mileage may vary. Offer void in Utah and Puerto Rico. And if anyone wants to hang with a dungeon crawler you can find me on Khyber now as Koerben (7 Cl) Kolagarne (6 F) Airegaun (new wiz im working on) and ill be working on a paladin as well. So drop me a mail or a tell.