PDA

View Full Version : The Advice Channel That Isn't

Ardkor
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Minor rant, because the folks who are the root of the problem probably don't read the forum anyway, but I'm annoyed enough to post about it, so...

/rant on

I play in the mornings during the week, usually 4am to 7am, depending on my schedule.

I'm new to DDO, but I am not new to MMOs or DnD (since 1978, actually). I'm not a teenager either, in fact my kids aren't even teenagers anymore. I consider myself a mature, pleasant player, and I am not easily angered.

The Advice channel is supposed to be for helping players who have questions. On Cannith, in the mornings anyway, it's the 'argue about anything channel'. The past two days it's been religion and politics (real world in both cases, not Eberron stuff). The day before it was about transvetites and the word 'ghey'.

After being ignored on the advice channel for a while, I finally got an answer - but couldn't read it because the screen was being spammed with garbage. I literally could not scroll up fast enough to read the few lines of text someone posted in response to my questions. I asked politely if they could carry the discussion/argument into General chat or any other channel, so the Advice channel could be useful again to people who had questions.

I was told to 'shut the hell up'. Actually, they used a stronger phrase than that, but these forums don't have the same kind of filter, and I don't want to get banned from the forums.

I was called a 'chat fascist', among other even less complimentary terms. After a half dozen insults (that would get your teeth knocked out if you said them to me in person), the guy insulting me said 'just kidding of course'. That made it all OK with me, yeah, especially when he went back to spamming the channel again.

I was told that I was welcome to find another server, or even another game altogether.

I was told "This is the advice channel, so I'm advising you to learn to live with it and solve your own problems."

In the end, I just squelched everyone who was insulting, obnoxious or simply spamming the advice channel. I eventually squelched 11 people. Eleven people acting like jerks and laughing about it, all at the same time. That is a huge number of people in the advice channel, actively wrecking the game for others. Impressive, for all the wrong reasons.

I assume 4-7am (Eastern) is the 'grade school kids waiting for school' crowd on Cannith, or the "It's late, and I'm still drunk or stoned" group.

Either way, I'd like to thank the two people who DID answer my questions, and the one guy who was still gamely trying to get them to stop spamming the Advice channel when I logged off.

I'll see how it is tomorrow morning, and if its the same, I *will* look for another server, or another game.

/rant off

RangerOne
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Sorry it went badly. My DnD life goes back as far as yours. I came here during beta from Evony and the first thing that struck me was that the chat was civil and generally informative. And all without buying speakers. It has degenerated a bit, a perhaps inevitable result of the influx of new players. Hopefully it will shake out soon. There are still well informed and helpful people around. I've been primarily on Sarlona lately. I haven't been back to Cannith in a couple of weeks. I'll have to log in there later to see how it goes. I'm with you.

UnderwearModel
11-05-2009, 10:09 PM
But on my characters I have given up on the Advice and Trade Channels.

I do not allow them as incoming text anymore. Too much drivel.

If you tell people to go to the forums to read more, they say they are too lazy. I then respond, "I am now too lazy to respond."

And that was the way I ended my advice channel career.

That and I was sick of the endless dragonshard questions. Endlesss I tell you.

MissErres
11-05-2009, 11:45 PM
The chat channels on Korthos, in the Harbor and Market need to be spot-checked once in a while by Turbine. It has gotten completly out of hand. The honest questions and valuable answers get lost in all the ****. The utter lack of human decency astounds me sometimes.

Be advised OP, most of people responding in the manner you are describing are not Vets, but new players that haven't realized the DDO community (as a whole) does not act in such an assinine way and it is mostly not tolerated. My advice for you: disable gen/advide/trade channels (as most of us Vets have) and come to the forums for any questions you may have. Sucks, I know, but sometimes it's just not worth dealing with people like that.

Aerendil
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
Sorry you had to go through this. Sadly, it's become popular in MANY MMOs where the average age of the gamers is in the early teens, and the average mentality is even younger.
Nothing we can do about it, really, except to meet and group up with like-minded people and stick to ourselves. Or simply solo.

I find I'm doing the latter more often than not as of lately, simply because a lot of these little punks annoy the hell out of me. And yes, like you said, had they acted like this face-to-face, they'd be missing a few teeth. But anonymity + internet = feeling of being untouchable, and therefore acting in a manner that they wouldn't dare to do in person. And with nobody to monitor their behaviour (i.e. no Turbine in-game GMs, and no parents watching them), they can pretty much do whatever they want and harrass you.

You could maybe try to file a ticket with customer service regarding this harrassment, but I'm not sure how effective that is. I've seen numerous posts lately discussing how non-existant customer service is.

For what it's worth - my gaming hours are quite erratic as of late, varying from a few hours if I'm lucky, to about 10-15min if I'm quite busy (just long enough to check my mail and surf the auction house for good handwraps, which I can never find :p). But if you spot me online, feel free to contact me for assistance. I'd be happy to help.

DANTEIL
11-06-2009, 08:51 AM
My advice for you: disable gen/advide/trade channels (as most of us Vets have) and come to the forums for any questions you may have. Sucks, I know, but sometimes it's just not worth dealing with people like that.

This makes me sad. I am still learning the game and often rely on the kind folk in the advice channel to answer questions. Yes, I know where I can look up information, and I do that also when I can, but sometimes you are in a dungeon and are just confused by something. The fact that many knowledgeable Vets are abandoning the /advice channel does not seem like a Good Thing.

Zenako
11-06-2009, 08:57 AM
What I have taken to doing on occasion is just send the answer to a question being asked as a /tell instead of a /a answer. That way I can be sure the person who asked the question has a hope of seeing the answer.

IF you see someone consistently acting in an inappropriate manner, using lanquage that is not suitable, report them. IF they actually direct insults and threats towards you, just right click on that message and report them. /squelch also works. Sadly I have used this more in the past 2 months than I had to use it in the previous 3 years combined.

Cannithdude
11-06-2009, 09:04 AM
I am also a relatively new player usually playing on the server, somewhat erratic play times but usually 4pm est onwards when I can get on. So far I have had a decent experience with using the advice channel (to ask questions about dragonshard fragments of course) in the market and other areas. There are usually two or three vet players around it seems at any given time who are happy to reply to my questions either in the advice channel or via tell. So thanks to them and all vets for your help and keep the good advice coming. It sounds like you might just be there at a bad time unfortunately and I am hoping it does not spread.

As far as groups, even though I am f2p, I have had pretty good luck with groups when I go with p2p content (such as Delera's Tomb) so maybe read some reviews on some of the p2p modules and check out one or two of them. I think you will be much more likely to get a good group (either vets running or more dedicated f2p players).

Don't give up hope on what has been so far a really fantastic game!

KoboldKiller
11-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Unfortunately this is the nature of the game now. My advice (and i know this isn't the way it should be) is to come to the forums and research or ask your question here. I tried to be helpful on advice chat and even played hall monitor a few times but just gave up. The only other option would be to report said abusive behavior but that takes a bit of time sometimes to get resolved.

Aerendil
11-06-2009, 09:11 AM
What I have taken to doing on occasion is just send the answer to a question being asked as a /tell instead of a /a answer. That way I can be sure the person who asked the question has a hope of seeing the answer.

Yep yep, I do the exact same.

One other piece of advice I can offer the OP and anyone else struggling with this - get a guild ASAP and turn off the advice channel.
People are generally more likely to answer you in guildchat (presuming you have a good guild). If it's a completely new-player guild, *someone* is bound to know the answer or be able to help.

Cedwin
11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure how it is on Cannith, but on Sarlona the advice channel is usually tame, I keep it on but General and Trade are always off. I also send /tells to people if they ask advice, but not because they would miss my answer, but because it prevents getting into "arguments" with newer players who think they know better. It happens almost everytime I try to answer something in /advice.

rimble
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
It may be worth starting private advice channels. The only advice you'd put on /advice is a periodic 'type /joinchannel realadvice to join a real advice channel without all the chatter'. That way, at least, if people come spam that channel you know it's targeted and purposeful and could probably be reported for verbal (textual?) harassment.

I also send /tells to people if they ask advice, but not because they would miss my answer, but because it prevents getting into "arguments" with newer players who think they know better. It happens almost everytime I try to answer something in /advice.

So...aggravating...

JOTMON
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
A large influx of immature and carefree FTP players do not help the advice channel.
When you pay to play getting banned for inappropriate behavior, money out of your pocket..usually it matters.
When you are Free to play, get banned, whatever.. create another FTP and away we go..

Not to say there were not any pre-exisiting jerks, they were here, and some still are...

If conversations become abusive .. right click on that user and report abuse, otherwise squelch or ignore them.
Generally antaginists troll the chats to try and stirr stuff up.

My understanding is that all conversations are tracked so GM's can go back and review these at their leisure.
Reporting the abuse gives the GM's a way to zoom in on the specific times and conversations.

The advise channel is just that advise for questions everything stemming from the

'huh, everyone should know that shoudn't they'
..to the ..
'I haven't got a clue but hopefully someone who does know responds, cause I would like to know that too'

It would be nice if only the people who actually knew for sure responded in a clear and concise way.
but good luck with that , everyone likes to add their 2coppers worth and speculations, or the it should work this way or PnP says it works that way, blah blah..

\take everything with a grain of salt. make your own judgements.
and hang tough there are good people in the game.

ShotByBothSides
11-07-2009, 04:05 AM
I am sorry to hear of your experience, and I am seeing this behavior too.

All I can suggest is liberal use of the /squelch command and a determined effort by all who read, and agree that this behavior is not acceptable, to use the report mechanisms. Perhaps some people power on the other side of the equation may help stop this, or at least wake up Turbine to the impact is has on a large number of their, often paying, player base.

Ardkor
11-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Well, yesterday morning it was pretty decent, only squelched two more, and did those within 15 seconds of logging in for their language and attitude in /Advice. Between their character names and the things they typed, it wasn't hard to guess their age group, either. After that it was pretty decent, and mildly amusing to see "half of the conversation" when others were arguing with the idiots I had squelched.

This morning I was pleased to see absolutely no idiots in the /advice channel, and plenty of helpful folks offering their advice to a fellow with questions about being a cleric. I was on my second character for Cannith, experimenting, and it was quite pleasant, though I didn't go over to Stormreach today.

Perhaps that 3 day streak was unusual, or they all slept in today, or maybe I got most of the pests with the squelch command (LOL)...either way, game play has improved, and I am enjoying things again.

Solmage
11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
You should be able to open a spamming ticket reporting the people polluting the advice channel. This is after all bad for DDO itself, because new players will not get the advice they want or need.

It also helps to announce that this behavior will get them squelched server-wide, and then proceed to squelch them. Invite others to do the same instead of arguing with them.

Ninety0ne
11-07-2009, 08:06 PM
if someone is really trashing a channel or even you, dont bother squelching them, announce on general/trade/any where you can that player X is giving away Y to all askers.... its comical.