PDA

View Full Version : A Rant about Advice for a Rogue

JStone
11-05-2009, 12:12 PM
sorry i had to get this down for people to see, it may also be helful to some rogues out there.

im sitting in the marketplace answering some questions (somebody wanted to know how to find the trolls in durks, another guy wanted to know if dexterity added to damage with a bow, yadayadayada)

and one guys asks about favor and turbine points...i advice him to do the korthos on elite with one charcter per server to gain some turbine points. he says he skipped korthos but would go back if it was a good idea. SOMEBODY chimes in with you should go back and grab the TROUBLESHOOTER SET if you are a rogue.

this is where things get interesting this new advisor proceeds to tell us that the set is awesome on his level 6 rogue that is built for trapsmithing. i of course advise against the set unless you really want tohave a +1 to all saves. And told the new advisor that the bonuses to disable and openlock are easily gained with cheap equipment and that at level five they are surpassed. to witch he tell me well what about the spot and search and i have a +21 disable at lvl 6

im getting upset so i tell him i am half ranger built for DPS and i have a +22 disable at lvl 5 because i did NOT take the set and that i also have a +2 to-0hit because i did take the pathfinders set.

to witch he says well id rather be built for traps than DPS and i can handle delaras can you.......grrr i just told him i have a higher bonus than him didnt I? does my bonus get lower when im in delaras? does he get better die rolls because he gets a +3 from a necklace compared to my +5 from gloves?

SORRY i just hate it when people jump on me when im trying to help and this guy just really got on my nerves.

tihocan
11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
to witch he says well id rather be built for traps than DPS
Obviously a new player who does not know what he's talking about. No need to get angry about it...

Cedwin
11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
That's a side effect of having so many new players. ePeen comparison.

"My character can beat up your character!"

DoctorWhofan
11-05-2009, 12:24 PM
THe set is nice, but as you said, you can find better. THe "advisor" must have been a newer player and was advised (correctly) in Korthos to get it if he was a rogue. BUT unless that the questioner had no gear for trappicking in the Harbor, that advice was false.

Missing_Minds
11-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Very few of the korthos items are useful past lvl 5. The insight goggles and archivest necklace are the only items I can see still being useful at that point. Besides the cloak of bless to get rid of the occassional Bane.

Zenako
11-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Which is why most of my advice includes a strong....HOWEVER...and usually a further question.

Like the player who was asking if they should add DEX or STR to their Ranger. Nothing else offered. OK, What race are you, what are your current numbers, what type of fighting style are you using and hope to use, etc.

I said at first: The answer to your question is, "that it depends" It depends on a number of other factors and there is no one true universal answer.

IT is clear from many of the questions you see on the channel, that a LOT of players are looking for that one true answer, that they are not ready for the nuance of the game and how the best answer to a question could be two entirely different things depending on the character in question.

Zenako
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Very few of the korthos items are useful past lvl 5. The insight goggles and archivest necklace are the only items I can see still being useful at that point. Besides the cloak of bless to get rid of the occassional Bane.

The Aid Bracers are useful. Free HP. The Anger Set finds a spot for quite a while until you get a lot better gear, or find yourself never missing. Any items which just boost skills are soon outgrown. Items which boost spells or spell point totals are soon outgrown. (Clickies of the Archivist necklace excepted.) If you holding onto and using Anger, then the Exp Retreat clickies on the boots can be useful for emergency seperation moves, etc. I also find the two other bracers from Cannith Crystal have a home for their DR purposes, especially the Spearbane ones, that apply to ranged attacks. Renders most low level archers nerfed. Hit the Aid clickie, swap to the Axe or Spear Bane.

Missing_Minds
11-05-2009, 12:56 PM
True Zenako, I forgot about the aid bracers. But that is typically because in harbor I pull a 3x clicky of aid. Free HP is always great.

The DR bracers normally get ditched for STR bracers if one is not a caster. But that is my opinion only.

Zenako
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
True Zenako, I forgot about the aid bracers. But that is typically because in harbor I pull a 3x clicky of aid. Free HP is always great.

The DR bracers normally get ditched for STR bracers if one is not a caster. But that is my opinion only.

On a new character and especially on a new server, I typically run the Cannith Crystal 4 times. 2 sets of Aid Bracers and 1 of each of the others. Lots of low level mobs use weapons that are blunted by the Axebane. I also usually end up with a whole pile of unused starter CLW potions that way as well. I run the scroll quest a few times, the drop rate of pots from all those boxes is pretty high and again on a new character/server, that can help a lot.

Missing_Minds
11-05-2009, 01:18 PM
I run the scroll quest a few times, the drop rate of pots from all those boxes is pretty high and again on a new character/server, that can help a lot.

Can't argue that. You'd think that all these WoW players would understand "farming".