PDA

View Full Version : New Player - Need Fighter Advice

kalinaar25
11-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm a veteran PnP player but I'm brand new to DDO. I want to make a pure fighter and take it to 20 but I'm a little unsure about which weapon to focus on. I Definitely want to go with a two hander, but I'm not sure what my weapon choices are toward end-game, and the advantages of each. Anyone have any tips, recommendations? Any information at all would be appreciated.

EKKM
11-04-2009, 06:07 PM
most two handers at end game you see are great axes. This is primarily because they used to be faster than the greatsword and falchion. Mod 9 supposedly fixed that so they are all roughly equal now.

Assuming you go Kensei (fighter prestige enhancement), greataxe might be the best damage due to the the expanded crit range Kensei offers. (Haven't done the math though).

vettkinn
11-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Comrade, Falchions might be a good choice due to its 18-20 crit range (and further improved by Kensai threat range improvement and improved critical). You'll be constantly doing crits. But then again, there are many end-game crit immune monsters.

My advice would be to use whatever suits your fancy, comrade. Great Club perhaps?

kalinaar25
11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Thank you both for the advice, and yes I am definitely planning on going kensei. Honestly I 'want' do go with greatsword because... well I just like greatswords. I'm also trying to avoid looking like a cookie cutter fighter. If everyone uses a greataxe then that's not what I want. However, I also want to avoid picking a weapon type that there aren't any good versions of at level 20. That last one may not apply to DDO but I've experienced that in other games.

ReaperAlexEU
11-05-2009, 06:58 AM
ahhh, now thats where DDO does help out, the best DPS weapon is a green steel mineral II weapon, and you craft that as a raid reward in the shroud. because its crafted you choose the base weapon (which also does more damage than its regular version)!

greatswords are nice weapons, good average damage, and a fair number of crits, if thats your style then go for it!

check out this link, its the start of a mineral II greatsword (the transmuting bit i selected in red). hover over the green links, click the ones you like, when all is red or purple thats everything the finished weapon will have. i don't know about you but to me those weapons look like epic loot or even artefacts!

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delallea/ddo/shroud/cgi-bin/shroud.cgi?item=item&weapon=greatsword&effects=mineral2_weap_&altar=3