PDA

View Full Version : two weapons

nnpier
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Two Weapon Fighting needs 15 dex, My elf paladin has 12 dex and my human warrior I think it has 12 two. I cant use this feat right? am I correct?

So there is no point in aquiring this feat for me.

second question: if Im using a shield in my warrior or my paladin but I dont "use" it pressing the shift key. does it means that Im not using the shield at all or just for having the shield Im having some protection??

7-day_Trial_Monkey
11-04-2009, 12:03 PM
When you press shift you gain the DR (damage reduction) of the sheild.

When not pressing shift you gain the AC bonus only.

The only way to get to a 15 dex that will allow you to take the twf feat is to use a tome, +1 at level 3, +2 at level 7. Or to put your level up stat points into dex at level 4/8/12/16/20.

ReaperAlexEU
11-04-2009, 12:07 PM
because your dex is below 15 it means that you are not allowed to get TWF, it wont ever be available for selection. rangers however are given TWF for free, even if they have 8 dex!

to add to the shield advice the DR only applies to mobs hitting from the front, so put your back in a corner if you need to shield block. also don't attack, shield bashing looses the DR for the duration of the attack, unless you have improved shield bash feat. also if your making a jump to get somewhere to block, push block after you land not before, took me a while to learn that painful lesson :)

IronAngel
11-04-2009, 12:12 PM
You could always take two levels of ranger and get TWF for free even if you don't meet the requirements.

nnpier
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
So what do you recommend then:

1. two one handed weapon
2. one two handed weapon like +1 acid greatsword of backstabbing (I have this one).

Im reading a lot about greatswords and longswords but I still cant see what is best

IronAngel
11-04-2009, 12:23 PM

1. two one handed weapon
2. one two handed weapon like +1 acid greatsword of backstabbing (I have this one).

Im reading a lot about greatswords and longswords but I still cant see what is best

Well if you can't get into TWF then go for the THW. If I had my choice I would go with TWF.

nnpier
11-04-2009, 12:40 PM
ok but if i dont have 15 dex i cant go to TWF :-)

Quintun
11-04-2009, 12:58 PM
ok but if i dont have 15 dex i cant go to TWF :-)

If you can not get to 17 for Greater Two Weapon I do not suggest getting to 15 for TWF. If you can not reach the top level it may not be worth it for you.

Noctus
11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
For you: THF.

As you cant get GTWF.Which means you would be gimped, while you can become a perfectly fine THF guy, if you go this route.

Corebreach
11-04-2009, 09:53 PM

1. two one handed weapon
If you don't have any supporting feats, always go with one 2-handed weapon. Dual-wielding two weapons gives huge to-hit penalties when you don't have TWF. (It's okay to dual-wield without TWF if you're a caster and only doing it to get the weapons' buffing properties.)

In the long term, deciding whether to go the TWF or THF route is something you'll ultimately need to do for every melee-oriented character you make, and the best approach is to have a plan in mind before you even get to the character creation screen.

ReaperAlexEU
11-05-2009, 06:35 AM
you will want two fighting styles to hand, a big 2-handed whomping stick for day to day pounding, and a blade and sword for the odd moments when things go belly up and you need to block with a shield to reduce the damage your taking in the hopes the party can pull through.

when you make your next character, if you fancy two weapon fighting either pick a ranger, or take at least 16 DEX (+1 tome or +1 from level up) so you can get all the TWF feats.

life is much much easier with a 2-handed whomping stick on your first character, if you find a monster you don't have the right weapon for a 2-handed whomping stick gives you a good chance to still do a bit of damage, with TWF its all too easy to end up doing no damage when you don't have the right tools.

that acid of backstabbing greatsword you have will do very well for you. later on when you have bags of cash you will be able to buy nicer weapons for your new characters, for now that whomping stick you have is gonna get a ton of use :). just keep a shield close by, even if your AC is bad (and at 12 dex it will be bad come gianthold) a shield can still be useful in some situations.