PDA

View Full Version : Oversized TWF pre-requisites?

Ardkor
11-04-2009, 07:59 AM
In building a character with the character planner utility, I ran into a small snag - I don't know if it's a bug in the planner, or the info in the compendium is wrong.

I started with a dwarf rogue at 1st level, took Dodge. Str 16 Dex 15
2nd level I took ranger, took vermin as favored enemy.
3rd level I took ranger again (two weapon fighting feat then shows in my feat list as one of the freebies for Ranger 2)
Next I tried to take Oversized two Weapon Fighting and it says its an illegal choice.

OTWF shows only STR 12 and TWF (and therefore 15 DEX) as pre-requisites...why can't I pick this feat at 3rd level (Rogue 1/Ranger 2)?

Is there a BAB requirement for OTWF? Is the planner screwed up? Will I be able to select OTWF at 3rd level in game?

Cedwin
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
It's either a BAB or level prereq, sometimes they aren't listed in the description or requirements. Looking in the compendium just shows this:

Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
Usage: Passive
When wielding a one handed weapon in your off-hand, you take penalties for fighting with two weapons as if you were wielding a light weapon in your off-hand.

Prerequisites
Summary: Strength 12, Two Weapon Fighting

Ardkor
11-04-2009, 08:58 AM
I reset the char planner, created a human 1st level fighter..gave him Exotic Wpn proficiency Khopesh, TWF and OTWF...and it said its fine and legal. That's only a BAB of 1 and 1st level, so I'm stumped. My Rogue 1, ranger 2 has BAB of 2 and is 3rd level with 15 DEX...I'm thinking maybe its just a planner issue, because I get the feat for free as a ranger instead of 'picking' it.

Talish
11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Maybe it has something to do with the fact that you are being granted twf at the same lvl up that you are trying to take otwf. The planner may be applying granted feats after chosen ones.

EDIT: Hopefully the actual game doesnt do this as well or you will be waiting to take the feat

Cedwin
11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
EDIT: Hopefully the actual game doesnt do this as well or you will be waiting to take the feat

The game should do it, since it's a prereq that you "Have" the feat, not have it chosen as a feat you want. For example, at level 8+, you can't pick up TWF and ITWF at the same time, you have to have TWF as a feat before you start leveling.

honkuimushi
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
This is a bug in the planner. It was mentioned in the planner thread. Ron decided that the fix was too complicated since he was going to rewrite the code from scratch for the next update. Hopefully it will no longer be an issue once the beta is released.

Talish
11-04-2009, 10:11 AM
The game should do it, since it's a prereq that you "Have" the feat, not have it chosen as a feat you want. For example, at level 8+, you can't pick up TWF and ITWF at the same time, you have to have TWF as a feat before you start leveling.

Hmmm. However when lvling/creating a character I can choose Combat Expertise and Improved Trip on the same lvl up yet improved trip requires combat expertise as a prereq.

There doesn't seem to be a standard.

Ardkor
11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
This is a bug in the planner. It was mentioned in the planner thread. Ron decided that the fix was too complicated since he was going to rewrite the code from scratch for the next update. Hopefully it will no longer be an issue once the beta is released.

Aha! Thanks very much, I was kind of stressing out - didn't want to have to reroll a character I have already invested 10 hours playing, LOL.