PDA

View Full Version : Are Ranger Spells any good?

vettkinn
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Comrades, are Ranger spells any good? I would like to know if it would be better to skip wisdom and pump everything to cons instead.

IronAngel
11-03-2009, 07:17 PM
There are a couple of good spells for rangers like Barksin and a few others.

ShrewMage
11-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Barkskin is the most asked for ranger spell. Honestly though you can start with a 9 to wisdom and at level 11 (or lvl 9 if you can find a race required wis item) you can wear a +5 wisdom item that will allow you to cast. In gameplay though, you will wish you had a fair amount of wisdom to help with your will saves.

Personally I've never given any ranger I built over 10 wisdom, then again I always end up deleting my rangers :P

Beld
11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
Rangers get Ram's Might, up to Cure Serious Wounds, Resists (30 point at level 11), Freedom of Movement, Barkskin, Camo (for the sneakier among us), Wild Instincts (raises spot and listen checks for those pesky invis mobs) and some others I am probably missing, but yes, a Ranger can use their divine casting ability to make many things easier on both a party and when soloing.

That being said, you can start with a pretty low WIS score and with a +6 item cast every spell in the game, just need to find you a decent SP item to equip at shrines when you are getting ready to re-buff.

IronAngel
11-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Rangers get Ram's Might, up to Cure Serious Wounds, Resists (30 point at level 11), Freedom of Movement, Barkskin, Camo (for the sneakier among us), Wild Instincts (raises spot and listen checks for those pesky invis mobs) and some others I am probably missing, but yes, a Ranger can use their divine casting ability to make many things easier on both a party and when soloing.

That being said, you can start with a pretty low WIS score and with a +6 item cast every spell in the game, just need to find you a decent SP item to equip at shrines when you are getting ready to re-buff.

Almost forgot about rams might, great self buff and freedom of movement is great especialy at mid to high levels

QuantumFX
11-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Ranger spells are primarily for buffing. So you will eventually want at least a modified 14 wisdom to cast them.

Level 1 spells by Importance:
- Ram’s Might
- Resist Energy
- Jump

Level 2 spells by Importance:
- Barkskin
- Protection From Energy
- Cure Light Wounds

Level 3 spells by Importance:
- 4 way tie that is only broken by the needs of the quest: Cure Moderate Wounds/Neutralize Poison/Remove Disease/Wild instincts

Level 4 Spells by Importance:
- Freedom of Movement
- Cure Serious Wounds

gfunk
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
ranger spells can be used to very good effect. Bark, resists, rams might and jump are the most commonly utilized. Quite typically the rangers will provide resists for the party in our guild raids (saving the clerics or casters their sp).

Its also not difficult to build a ranger with enough SP for some decent self healing. My ranger has ~720 sp at lvl 20 and CSW hits for up to 70ish (with a devotion item and all enhancements, crits for double that if you wear the reaver gloves.. though personally I find them tough to fit). I solo here and there on my pure ranger and find that the cure spells give me a lot of mileage (I have clw, cmw, and csw so I can chain them all together if I get in a rough patch). (I'm sure its easy to have well in excess of 800 sp on a ranger, I don't think that I have taken all the sp enhancements on mine.)

Some higher hp/lower ac rangers may not find their spell points as useful for healing...

That said, ranger SP is more dependant on items, than having a huge wisdom score. A good concordant opposition item with SP will keep most rangers with a decent amount.

Arianrhod
11-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Ranger spells are great, but all the good ones are buffs, so as long as you can (with items) get your wis to 14 by the time you get 4th level spells, you can cast them. No need to worry about stuff like save DCs, since you're not going to be casting...hm, what was that spell again? Slow Trap? Spike Growth? :D

Ciaran
11-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Just to echo what's been said here, yes, ranger spells are very good. They are all buffs, the most important/commonly seen ones being Jump, Ram's Might (self only), Barkskin, Resist Energy, Neutralize Poison, Freedom of Movement.

Camo/Mass Camo might get you booted from groups! Camo makes it hard for people to see if other buffs have worn off and get aggravated with camo, especially as it provides no real benefit unless your entire party is sneaking. Now if you are playing scout, than camo might be useful for you, but just a word of advice, avoid throwing it on group members unless they ask for it/you ask before casting it.

The cure spells can be good for when you are soloing and if you make the investment in items you can actually get a decent sized SP pool and some items to boost your healing (as gfunk demonstrated). However given the choice between buffs and healing, I'd go with the buffs as you will get more mileage out of them than the healing spells which you can use wands for. The nice thing about healing spells is not having to weapon swap, so in a pinch they can be great, but require a bit of gear and gear swapping to make the most out of. I'd recommend looking for a Devotion IV shield to throw on when you need to shield block and heal up. You won't have the SP to pull a group out of the fire more than once if the cleric goes down, and while having access to healing spells to top yourself and others off is always a good thing, if you are having to step out of combat to heal the party (as opposed to tossing an emergency cure spell here and there), something is very, very wrong. The party will benefit more from your DPS/buffing than from your healing.

Visty
11-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Camo makes it hard for people to see if other buffs have worn off

that statement is....wrong

there are only 2 buffs which you cant see with camo (or at least see them harder): barkskin and stoneskin

if you have both and one runs out (stoneskin most of the time), the visual effect of the other is gone anyway, it doesnt matter if you have camo or not

to look if buffs run out, watch the upper right corner

Ciaran
11-04-2009, 10:26 AM

there are only 2 buffs which you cant see with camo (or at least see them harder): barkskin and stoneskin

if you have both and one runs out (stoneskin most of the time), the visual effect of the other is gone anyway, it doesnt matter if you have camo or not

to look if buffs run out, watch the upper right corner

What about blur/displacement? I'm pretty sure camo obscures it or at least makes it a lot harder to see.

Maybe they changed it, but I remember a long thread some time ago complaining about camo for that very reason. It's not a useful buff for the party most of the time in any case, and the visual effect from the spell seems to bother a lot of people, in my experience anyway.

Also, third parties who are making sure people are buffed with stoneskin/barkskin can't look in the upper right corner (or middle of the screen when you have a huge line of buffs), can they? ;)

In any event, was just a friendly heads up to the OP.

MichaelBerea
11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I found the ddo wiki page on Rangers to be helpful: http://ddowiki.com/page/ranger

In particular, it states that you need a wisdom score of 10 + the level of the spell.

Ron’s character planner was useful to see what Ranger level gives you access to each level of spells.

So at Ranger level 4 when you want to start casting the level 1 Ram’s Might on yourself you need a modified wisdom of 11.
Ranger level 8’s level 2 spells require a modified 12 wisdom.
Ranger level 11’s level 3 spells require a modified 13 wisdom.
Ranger level 14’s level 4 spells require a modified 14 wisdom.

Note that item bonuses (such as from Ghoal-fan’s Mystic Belt (http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/jgould2005/DDO/Items/Belts/MysticBelt.jpg)) and the bonus from the Owl’s Wisdom spell (http://ddowiki.com/page/Owl's_Wisdom) are both enhancement bonuses and so do not stack.

So personally I would go with 8, 9 or 10 wisdom depending on how many levels of Ranger I was taking. The drawbacks are less mana and needing to wear a +wisdom item if you are debuffed by enemies.

Solmage
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Comrades, are Ranger spells any good? I would like to know if it would be better to skip wisdom and pump everything to cons instead.

Ranger spells are VERY good. BUT you probably should still start with an 8 wisdom and just rely on a wand of owl's wisdom at low levels to cast any ranger spells, and an item at higher levels. (*)

(*) Exception: When planning a high AC 1 monk splash with ranger, you should have at least a 14 base wisdom.

wamjratl1
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Umm, hello?!??!? Y'all forgot to tell him about the uber hyena... sheesh :rolleyes:

Mithran
11-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Self-applied buffs:

Resist Energy
Barkskin
Ram's Might
Jump
Tumble
Wild Instincts

All of which are exceptionally useful.

Milolyen
11-04-2009, 01:18 PM
It really depends on the type of player you are and what you are going for with the build. I could not see creating my ranger with anything other than 14 wis at creation. I try to resist and FoM the party and hand out bark skin to those that it will be of use to. Then I will do some top up heals between fights to help out clerics and I am very self relient so when things go south I can take care of myself (as another poster said with devotion AP and item cure serious wounds can heal for 60 to 70 hps a cast).

However, I have seen a lot of rangers that (other than rams might and maybe self resist/freedom of movement) forget that they even have spells and would not even CONSIDER bothering to heal themselvs much less top up between fights. For these people an 8 or 10 wis is just fine.

Milolyen

Turial
11-04-2009, 01:19 PM

Depends on what you want to do with your character.

If you are going for DPS then you only really need enough wisdom to cast Ram's Might (modified wisdom of 11). That also gives you access to resists, jump, and tumble which are all good buffs (clerics always ask for jump).

If you are going for self healing and/or buffing I would recomend 14 wisdom. This gives you a decent reserve of spell points and access the cure serious wounds (the main stay for self healing rangers unless their UMD is high enough to use heal scrolls).

I currently sit at 970 sp (so close to 1000) and find it is very useful in a pinch when others are running low on sp or to save real casters from having to put basic buffs on people. It gives them some more sp to play around with and people like to have sp to burn.

Turial
11-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Umm, hello?!??!? Y'all forgot to tell him about the uber hyena... sheesh :rolleyes:

You mean the one that when debuffed turns on you, trips you, and proceeds to laugh as you get beat up?

jambajuicey
11-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Also, third parties who are making sure people are buffed with stoneskin/barkskin can't look in the upper right corner (or middle of the screen when you have a huge line of buffs), can they? ;)

As a cleric, I click on the person and then click the magnify glass to check buffs, its always worked for me.

Pwesiela
11-04-2009, 01:39 PM
The spells I've always carried:

Resist Energy
Rams Might
Jump
Barkskin
Neutralize Poison
Freedom of Movement
Cure Serious

Spells that I've added as slots open up:
Snare (yet to use)
Protection from Energy
Mass Camo (always make sure those who don't want it are away from me, otherwise, rarely use)
Merfolks Blessing
Wild Instincts
Remove Disease
Summon Nature's Ally IV

Pwesiela
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM

My problem with camo is that, graphically, my character tends to nearly disappear from my screen. It becomes hard for me to tell where I am and where others likewise camo'd are. Why rangers think it's a group buff is beyond me. It's as worthless as mass longstrider at higher levels.

Ciaran
11-04-2009, 02:26 PM
As a cleric, I click on the person and then click the magnify glass to check buffs, its always worked for me.

How well does this work for you when the character bio is flooded from all the buffs a character has?

The primary reason this bugs so many players is it's visually obnoxious, especially for people with old PC's and/or older/cheaper graphic cards.

wamjratl1
11-04-2009, 02:48 PM

You mean the one that when debuffed turns on you, trips you, and proceeds to laugh as you get beat up?

He does that? I've never seen the poor fella live long enough to get debuffed. I usually just launch him at Horoth and watch the Orthons stare in confusion...;)

Visty
11-04-2009, 02:55 PM
My problem with camo is that, graphically, my character tends to nearly disappear from my screen. It becomes hard for me to tell where I am and where others likewise camo'd are. Why rangers think it's a group buff is beyond me. It's as worthless as mass longstrider at higher levels.

well, it is a massbuff after all :p

i understand the problem youre describing, but that is a differant one then the one i said was wrong

Pwesiela
11-04-2009, 03:12 PM
How well does this work for you when the character bio is flooded from all the buffs a character has?

The primary reason this bugs so many players is it's visually obnoxious, especially for people with old PC's and/or older/cheaper graphic cards.

Long ago, I turned off the detailed description option. Now, I can see the entire list of buffs a character has. Of course, it only really works once you know what all the different buffs do, which isn't so easy for new players.

underlordone
11-04-2009, 03:24 PM
Ranger spells I carry are

camo
rams might
jump
res

snare
bark
hold animal

cure mod
wild instincts

fom
cure ser

I have a 24 wis 1030 sp
Snare works nice with a cursespewing wep or weaking them down.
Some times u get lucky with hold animal.
but def take the cure spells they help alot if u put some points into concentration about 55 for 90%

Ciaran
11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Long ago, I turned off the detailed description option. Now, I can see the entire list of buffs a character has. Of course, it only really works once you know what all the different buffs do, which isn't so easy for new players.

Heh, I've never messed with that. I've been lazy with looking over the UI options.

Good to know, thanks!

vettkinn
11-04-2009, 04:16 PM
Many thanks for your inputs comrades, looks like I will just put 9 or 10 wis on my ranger then(since having a +wis item fixes the low wis issue).

:) FOR MOTHER RUSSIA!!

Guildmaster_Kadish
11-04-2009, 04:22 PM
Yes, Ranger spells are useful. But you don't need to put points into wisdom to cast them--a +6 item will put you from 8 up to 14, and is very easy to get. Heck, you could even be a warforged and start with 6 wisdom and still hit 14 easily with a +6 item and a +2 tome. It might be tough to cast the spells as you level up, but if you're planning for the endgame, wisdom really isn't necessary. It is, however, rather nice if you want to be able to have mana left for healing after you're done buffing, or if you want a little boost to your will save.

Pwesiela
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
It is, however, rather nice if you want to be able to have mana left for healing after you're done buffing, or if you want a little boost to your will save.

It takes a lot of sp to hand out barkskin/FoM to everyone in the raid party that wants it. Not to mention fully buffing yourself. And emergency healing.

That having been said, I've never really had an issue with not enough sp on my ranger with 10 base wisdom. She has no sp item, but still has 450+ sp.

Arianrhod
11-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Yes, Ranger spells are useful. But you don't need to put points into wisdom to cast them--a +6 item will put you from 8 up to 14, and is very easy to get. Heck, you could even be a warforged and start with 6 wisdom and still hit 14 easily with a +6 item and a +2 tome. It might be tough to cast the spells as you level up, but if you're planning for the endgame, wisdom really isn't necessary. It is, however, rather nice if you want to be able to have mana left for healing after you're done buffing, or if you want a little boost to your will save.

For a first character without oodles of money, a +6 item is quite a bit easier to get by the time you're high enough level to cast level 4 spells than a +2 tome. I'd recommend putting those 2 points into wisdom if you're WF and don't want to wait to be able to cast your spells ;)

Atenhotep
11-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Merfolks ftw!

Zeikan
11-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Ranger spells are okay, but very few are used. I'd have to stay the most common Ranger spell is Barkskin.

Arianrhod
11-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Ranger spells are okay, but very few are used. I'd have to stay the most common Ranger spell is Barkskin.

Most common is probably Ram's Might, since they get that at RGR4 instead of RGR8 like Barkskin, and it stacks with +Stat items. Either that or Resist Elements, since you often cast several of those as opposed to just one Ram's Might. Maybe at higher levels where everything dispels your buffs they don't use it as much, but it sure gets used a lot at lower levels.

Elixxer
11-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty new been playing about 2 weeks I have a level 4 ranger with 11 wisdom and i can't use spells? if i go to my sheet and click on spells it says lv1 by them but i cant use them because why? am i missing an item, i think it says that but I didn't think rangers needed items to cast spells? anyways I'm a noob and i want to have spells, if i cant use them I might as well delete that person and use wisdom as a dump skill please some help me:D

Pwesiela
11-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm pretty new been playing about 2 weeks I have a level 4 ranger with 11 wisdom and i can't use spells? if i go to my sheet and click on spells it says lv1 by them but i cant use them because why? am i missing an item, i think it says that but I didn't think rangers needed items to cast spells? anyways I'm a noob and i want to have spells, if i cant use them I might as well delete that person and use wisdom as a dump skill please some help me:D

As a level 4 ranger with 11 wisdom, how many sp do you have and is it enough to cast the spell you want?

Elixxer
11-07-2009, 09:10 PM
I have 14 sp don't you need 10 for the first spells? or shall i need more power I items?

Arianrhod
11-07-2009, 10:24 PM
With 11 WIS & 14 SP you should be able to cast a level 1 spell. Maybe you haven't prepared one yet? Gotta drag one from the list to the little red box at the bottom of the page, and then drag the prepared spell to a quickslot to cast it.

Solmage
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
I have 14 sp don't you need 10 for the first spells? or shall i need more power I items?

Some spells also need spell components, which you'll have to buy from the general vendor (they're very cheap however)

Pwesiela
11-08-2009, 01:56 PM
Some spells also need spell components, which you'll have to buy from the general vendor (they're very cheap however)

If this is the case, you should see an error message saying you're missing the component. For level 1 spells, I think it's chameleon tails, but I'm not certain of it. I haven't had to buy them in a long, long time.

Rumbaar
11-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Make sure you drag the spell to the Level 1 slot, then drag that to one of your hotbars. That works for me. Also Rams Strength doesn't require components.