PDA

View Full Version : Dex, AC and choosing armor

Mojofizznut
11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I've been playing a week now, trying different classes, and starting to understand the game. But I'm still a bit befuddled about how dexterity and AC work, and what armor is the best choice.

I've settled on a battle-favored soul, and although he can wear heavier armor, I'm not sure what armor to choose. I want to maximize ac without penalty, but also not over burden if I'm not getting any benefit.

Is there a good write-up explaining how dex/ac and armor penalty works?

IronAngel
11-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Every armor has a max dex bonus that can be applied. For instance regular fullplate has a 1 max dex bonus, that means that even if you have an 18 dex (+4) then only one would be applied to ac. Your armor choice really depends on your dex bonus. For a favored soul I would recomend either mithril fullplate or mithril breastplate. Please provide your dex bonus for more assistance

Brennie
11-03-2009, 06:43 PM
When you scroll over an armor, it should tell you the *total armor bonus* it provides. Unless your dexterity is going to change anytime soon, this is the only stat you should care about. Higher, or course, is better.

Basically, its a factor of Armor Bonus (From the type of armor, +4 from chain shirts, +8 from fullplate, etc) + enhancement bonus + your dex bonus (OR the dex cap, whichever is lower.). Whatever has the highest total is what you should wear ^_^

Garth_of_Sarlona
11-03-2009, 06:46 PM
unless you are a dwarf or a fighter in which case you can raise the maximum dex bonus of your armor - in which case e.g. if your dex is 20, and you're a fighter, you could take 2 levels of the Dwarven Armor Mastery and this would allow you to fully 'fit out' an armor with a max dex bonus of 3... because 3+2 is 5 and a 20 dex is +5...

Basically it allows dwarves and fighters to increase their AC while wearing comparatively heavier armor.

Garth

krud
11-03-2009, 06:49 PM
here:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=900785

and here:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=30186&highlight=armor+bonus+stack

Mojofizznut
11-03-2009, 07:31 PM
Awesome, thanks for all the insight folks. And super thanks for the links.

lppmor
11-04-2009, 08:19 AM
As a Dwarf Ranger, I'm considering the most effective armor I can get is Mithral Breastplate, which has a +5 dex cap. Since I'll probably reach eventually 24 dex (15 start +3 ranger +6 item, not considering tomes), this means I would need two levels of dwarven armor mastery to increase my dex cap to +7, right?

So, considering I want to maximize my AC (and not splahing monk), is this the way to go, with Mithral Breastplate and dwarven enhancements? Or there are other better ways to maximize AC, maybe without the need to get dwarven enhancements?

IronAngel
11-04-2009, 08:25 AM
As a Dwarf Ranger, I'm considering the most effective armor I can get is Mithral Breastplate, which has a +5 dex cap. Since I'll probably reach eventually 24 dex (15 start +3 ranger +6 item, not considering tomes), this means I would need two levels of dwarven armor mastery to increase my dex cap to +7, right?

So, considering I want to maximize my AC (and not splahing monk), is this the way to go, with Mithral Breastplate and dwarven enhancements? Or there are other better ways to maximize AC, maybe without the need to get dwarven enhancements?

Well you could go with Mithril chain shirt which loses armor to the breasplate but makes up for it with increased dex bonus. If your ac is maxed for the armor, both will actually give the same AC. This means less dwarven enhancements. I do believe the differance is one armor and 1 dex bonus on them