PDA

View Full Version : Using Character Planner and forum templates

Desdemonte
11-03-2009, 03:39 PM
Hi all- I downloaded the character planner program, and it's awesome. I have a couple of questions though. As a first timer, I have been surfing around for a decent character that fits into what I used to play on paper and found this guy that I'm using, with a few minor changes on my part:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=196721&highlight=Drizzt

My first question is about enhancements. This and other templates have them all listed, but not in order of the way they should be added. It is a pretty convoluted system of stages and prerequisits that I can't seem to get a handle on.

My next observation is that this build has a Greater Two Weapon Focus at level 12. I can't seem to add it in the planner, even though I seem to have all 3 prereqs met.

The other questions are general- For example skills listed are in 3 columns- what does this mean? How does a person put the other information in the template to use/ what does it mean (i.e. the list under "Hit Points", and the list under "BAB")? For that matter, why is the BAB broken down into 5 numbers?

Thanks all...

Ardkor
11-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Well I can help a little, anyway.

If the build you have found isn't a direct export from the CharBuilder (the one you listed isn't), then you have to kind of pick thru all the shorthand notes for the info you want. You plug all the stuff into the program that you can figure out, and tehn deduce the rest from whats left. Remember you can put info in at different levels, you don't have to enter everything for levels 1-5 to make changes to level 6, and so forth.

Find the race and starting stats first. Be careful how they are listed, sometimes they are NOT in the same order the charbuilder lists them (the author might have listed his 'key stat' first instead of the traditional STR or whatever). Plug those in first, and look for indications of which stats got bumped every four levels (it might say +5 bumps or something next to the stat).

Next look for class choices, most builds will have 2 or even 3 classes in some combination (Rogue 1/Monk 1/Ranger 18, etc) Figure out which class they started with, and in what order they took the rest of them - F R W W F F F R for example is fighter, rogue, wizard, wizard, etc. Plug in those class choices at the appropriate levels in the planner.

Now look for the list of feats - these usually ARE separated by what level they took them at, but old builds will often have the feats listed at a level you can no longer take them at (due to changes in the game since the build was published). Plug those in where you can, make a note of the ones you can't place.

That should leave skills. Usually there will be a list of skills that the build considers 'critical', and those get leveled up every level if possible. There might be a sentence that says "max my stealth and trap skills, plus heals for...." that will give you a clue as to what the guy was trying to do.

Note that many old builds count on using "Tome +1" at first level to bump a stat up (so they qualify sooner for certain feats) but you cannot do this anymore - stat boosting Tomes are not available to you til 7th level and up now. This may throw off feat picks and so forth.

At this point you should have most of the build recreated, and you can puzzle it out from there.

I hope that helps! :)

Ardkor
11-03-2009, 05:38 PM
My next observation is that this build has a Greater Two Weapon Focus at level 12. I can't seem to add it in the planner, even though I seem to have all 3 prereqs met.

The other questions are general- For example skills listed are in 3 columns- what does this mean? How does a person put the other information in the template to use/ what does it mean (i.e. the list under "Hit Points", and the list under "BAB")? For that matter, why is the BAB broken down into 5 numbers?

Thanks all...

OK Greater Two Weapon Fighting (not Focus) has several requirements that you may not be meeting yet in your build:

Dexterity 17, Base Attack Bonus +11, and Improved Two Weapon Fighting feat (plus whatever it takes to qualify for that feat)

If you have taken more than one level of 'squishy' (rogue, bard, cleric, wizard, etc) then you might not have a combined BAB of +11 by level 12. BAB= Basic Attack Bonus. Fighter types (rangers, paladins, barbarians, etc) increase their BAB by +1 every level. non warrior types (rogues, casters, etc) increase theirs at slower rates. A character who multiclasses 9 levels of fighter and 1 level of rogue will have a BAB of +9. The guy who took straight 10 levels of fighter will have a BAB of +10.

As far as the HP list, what he is doing is showing his projected maximum hit points when the build reaches 20th level. Sort of saying "OK, I get x for having this CON, another 50 for having these feats, another 25 because I wear these items, 10 more for my Chuck Norris T-Shirt, and ..." etc This applies to the AC (armor class) and to-hit lists too...he's itemizing where he gets all of the little bonuses to these things, and how they stack up to his 'ultimate value' .

Desdemonte
11-03-2009, 08:24 PM
OK Greater Two Weapon Fighting (not Focus) has several requirements that you may not be meeting yet in your build:

Dexterity 17, Base Attack Bonus +11, and Improved Two Weapon Fighting feat (plus whatever it takes to qualify for that feat)

If you have taken more than one level of 'squishy' (rogue, bard, cleric, wizard, etc) then you might not have a combined BAB of +11 by level 12. BAB= Basic Attack Bonus. Fighter types (rangers, paladins, barbarians, etc) increase their BAB by +1 every level. non warrior types (rogues, casters, etc) increase theirs at slower rates. A character who multiclasses 9 levels of fighter and 1 level of rogue will have a BAB of +9. The guy who took straight 10 levels of fighter will have a BAB of +10.

As far as the HP list, what he is doing is showing his projected maximum hit points when the build reaches 20th level. Sort of saying "OK, I get x for having this CON, another 50 for having these feats, another 25 because I wear these items, 10 more for my Chuck Norris T-Shirt, and ..." etc This applies to the AC (armor class) and to-hit lists too...he's itemizing where he gets all of the little bonuses to these things, and how they stack up to his 'ultimate value' .

thanks for the help. WRT the greater 2wf, the build has all 3 requirements at the level 12 stage where I'm trying to add it. I assume improved 2wf comes automatically at some point, becasue it's there in my list of known feats but I never added it. Dex is 17 and BAB is 12

Desdemonte
11-03-2009, 11:08 PM
The build in the link provided has me stumped- I've spent all evening trying to figure out what enhancement is chosen at what level. Due to progression requirements, it appears impossible. In order to get some things early on that have progression requirements (Ranger favoured damage 2, Ranger Tempest 1, elf Melee damage 2 and elven dexterity 2), I'm required to spend AP for progression that will be later needed in higher levels to get the high end enhancements. The order the class progression was chosen, it seems most enhancments can't be chosen until level 8 and beyond. The thread seems recent- Aug/09. Have there been changes since then already? I like the look of this build, but can't get around these progression requirements. This build seems impossible....!