PDA

View Full Version : Maximize Spell

Shumanfoo
11-03-2009, 02:25 PM
I saw a thread in the Cleric forum discussing Max Spell versus empower spell. To me, the math example given was wrong and I wanted to see if I could clear up my understanding. And first off, the description of those state that spells to "more damage" so does it even affect healing?

Second, in the example given on that forum it was shown that max spell gives the highest roll possible for a spell, but the description says "double damage" so wouldn't it be a normal roll then doubled? Just trying to figure it out before I pick certain feats and potentially get stuck with something I didn't like because it doesn't work as I expected.

~Shu

Anneliese
11-03-2009, 02:27 PM
Empower multiplies with 1.5, Maximize with 2.0. Maximize tends to be better for most chars.

Both work on cure light/medium/serious/critical wounds and the mass-versions, but not on Heal/Mass-Heal

kaelis
11-03-2009, 02:28 PM
normal roll doubled.

Empower= normal roll x1.5

get both. Blade barrier rocks. :)

Shumanfoo
11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Ok I thought so. So whoever posted the example in the Cleric forum had no idea what they were saying, unless I mis-read his post.

Along those lines, why have an "Empower Healing Spell"? Or does that affect the spell "Heal"? The names cure <adjective> wounds and heal can be confusing because they are totally different, yet "healing" seems to refer to CLW etc.

EDIT: I cleared it up a little for myself...there is the skill heal, the spell heal, and then CLW etc which also...heal.

hydra_ex
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Remember, however. Take empower healing over empower (if you are ever short on feats) since empower does not affect the heal spell.

Max and emp do stack.

MysterX
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Ok I thought so. So whoever posted the example in the Cleric forum had no idea what they were saying, unless I mis-read his post.

Along those lines, why have an "Empower Healing Spell"? Or does that affect the spell "Heal"? The names cure <adjective> wounds and heal can be confusing because they are totally different, yet "healing" seems to refer to CLW etc.

EDIT: I cleared it up a little for myself...there is the skill heal, the spell heal, and then CLW etc which also...heal.

Empower Healing is more mana efficient than Empower Spell, but can't be used for any damage spells (except healing magic used to damage undead). Empower healing does have some nice enhancements so you can spend some action points to make it even more mana efficient.

If I am forced to choose between the two, I base the decision on whether I expect to use a lot of offensive magic or not.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Empower Healing is more mana efficient than Empower Spell, but can't be used for any damage spells (except healing magic used to damage undead). Empower healing does have some nice enhancements so you can spend some action points to make it even more mana efficient.

If I am forced to choose between the two, I base the decision on whether I expect to use a lot of offensive magic or not.

I actually have all 3 on my main cleric and I select which should be active based on what my needs are in that quest. With enhancements and items Emp Healing costs me 1 or 2 points per cast, so I almost never turn it off. I turn on Emp & Max when I'm in the c.fall/bbarrier mood.