PDA

View Full Version : How important is race choice?

Shumanfoo
11-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I like playing cleric class and want to start out right. My preference is to have a dwarf cleric, but I'm curious how important the race decision is in the end.

~Shu

Belwaar
11-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Any race makes a good cleric, but depending on which race you choose will pre-determine how your initial stats start out, before spending the points to increase them.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
I like playing cleric class and want to start out right. My preference is to have a dwarf cleric, but I'm curious how important the race decision is in the end.

~Shu

The best races for clerics tend to be human (extra feat, can boost 2 stat scores), dwarf (extra spell points and higher HP), or halfling (bonus free healing spells from dragonmarks), so you are doing just fine with your choice.

Start with 18 WIS and 16 CON and you will be happy with the end result.

MissErres
11-03-2009, 11:54 AM
Any race makes a good cleric, but depending on which race you choose will pre-determine how your initial stats start out, before spending the points to increase them.

Very true. I've even seen a WF battle cleric that was freakin' AWESOME!! (Beatin on Big Red while healing the party, ya gotta love it!) 'Course, that probably had more to do with the player behind the keyboard more than anything. ;)

Shumanfoo
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
How does a dwarf have higher SP? Just from race or is there a feat?

jomonkey527
11-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Reporting this thread for racism.

Visty
11-03-2009, 11:58 AM

dwarf clerics or paladins get access to the dwarven faith enhancement line which, well, gives sp other races dont get

Shumanfoo
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
*Bonks self*

Yeah I forgot about that one.

Elyanna
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM

Dwarves get an option of taking the Dwarven Faith Enhancment line. Which I think is 20 SP per enhancement taken which also cost an increasing amount of AP for each level.

Doh Took too long reading.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Reporting this thread for racism.

lol, well played

MissErres
11-03-2009, 12:08 PM
dwarf clerics or paladins get access to the dwarven faith enhancement line which, well, gives sp other races dont get

Also keep in mind tho, it's not only the number of Spell Points that counts, but how effective they are as well.

Example: I have 4 clerics (2 human, 2 drow), 3 have a lvl of sorc, one drow does not. The drow w/o the lvl of sorc has about 250 fewer sp but her heals/spells are much more effective. A guildie of mine has a dwarf cleric (not sure how he's built exactly), he has more SP but his heals aren't as effective as mine. (He has a higher survivability tho.) Sometimes it's not about quanity but quality.

Visty
11-03-2009, 12:10 PM
Also keep in mind tho, it's not only the number of Spell Points that counts, but how effective they are as well.

Example: I have 4 clerics (2 human, 2 drow), 3 have a lvl of sorc, one drow does not. The drow w/o the lvl of sorc has about 250 fewer sp but her heals/spells are much more effective. A guildie of mine has a dwarf cleric (not sure how he's built exactly), he has more SP but his heals aren't as effective as mine. (He has a higher survivability tho.) Sometimes it's not about quanity but quality.

the effectivity of spells has nothign to do with your race but only with your classlvls and enhancements
if your friends heals arent as good as yours he is using other feats/items/enhancements
hs nothing to do with race

MissErres
11-03-2009, 12:13 PM
the effectivity of spells has nothign to do with your race but only with your classlvls and enhancements
if your friends heals arent as good as yours he is using other feats/items/enhancements
hs nothing to do with race

Actually, we compared feats/items/enhancements and matched 'em. Still not as effective.

Visty
11-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Actually, we compared feats/items/enhancements and matched 'em. Still not as effective.

that is false
if you use the same items, same feats and same enhancements and have the same number of cleric levels then your heals do EXACT the same

10 healed per lvl *feats*items*enhancements
feats, items and enhancements is the same, so we set them to 1 as it doesnt matter
10 healed per lvl *1*1*1 = 10 healed per lvl

so it depends on the level, not the race