PDA

View Full Version : New to DDO!!

Disturbed10k
11-03-2009, 09:17 AM
Any things that I should know before the download finishes? I read through some of the Getting Started pages and have a understanding of controls, but still could use a little insight on what the world of DDO is like.

amethystdragon
11-03-2009, 09:28 AM
break all the boxs that you see, and pick up everything that drops out of them. YOu can pick things up by double clicking on them, or with the backspace and u key combo. I would suggest to take a little bit and get use to things. The big thing is, if after playing the game for a bit you need help don't be afraid to come back here and ask.

MDS_Geist
11-03-2009, 09:31 AM
Welcome!

Remember that you will level more slowly than in other MMO's since the level cap is 20, but that the levels don't correspond to other games either.

Use the social panel for groups and you'll ave a much more enjoyable experience from the outset.

have fun!

anatoli11
11-03-2009, 09:34 AM
Have a look athe the downloadable .pdf game manual while you are waiting.

Welcome and have fun!

Disturbed10k
11-03-2009, 09:42 AM
Picking up things I know is good haha. Yeah I read at the start to go through a cave where you can test out how your character moves and your controls.

It might be a little different but I don't think the slower leveling will be a problem.

Don't throw any rotten fruit at me, but I am an active WoW player just looking for something different to get into. Getting pretty bored over there and probably won't go back until the next Expansion. WoW is drastically moving away from its storyline and just shoving more raid dungeons in our faces.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Any recommendations on servers?

Saaluta
11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Welcome, all servers have their ups and downs. If you decide on Khyber, there are many of us who will help with small care packages and I've heard(read) that some of the other servers do that too :)

Saal :)

dopey69
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
*looks for rotten fruit* O.o welcome :) and by the looks of it there are a whole lot of wow players here now. Just try not to agro all the vets in game by talking **** about ddo on the chat channels and how great wow is ,you will be fine. you started with the forums right off the get go (something i did not do :( ) always nice to have good gamers come to our game . have fun and see you on thelanis.....doh...I mean have a good time what ever server you start on :)

Disturbed10k
11-03-2009, 09:57 AM
*looks for rotten fruit* O.o welcome :) and by the looks of it there are a whole lot of wow players here now. Just try not to agro all the vets in game by talking **** about ddo on the chat channels and how great wow is ,you will be fine. you started with the forums right off the get go (something i did not do :( ) always nice to have good gamers come to our game . have fun and see you on thelanis.....doh...I mean have a good time what ever server you start on :)

Don't get me mixed in with "them" >< I'm by no means any type of hardcore WoW fan guy who tries to shove stuff down other players throats.

Anyone who meets me in-game will find that I am a very nice and curious player who is looking to learn. From the looks of it I might start off as a Cleric since I'm a fan of the healing class.

Azrim
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Best advice i can think to give is 1) check your key mapping, its in your options. 2) read the hint boxes that pop up on the right of the screen, the info is actually helpful. and lastly, if you want USEFUL advice in game type /a to chat in the advice channel, a lot of players will only respond to questions there.

CrustyMedic
11-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice to see you are getting a head start in the forums. May I suggest, if your interested, letting DDO create your "cleric toon" and follow their plan. As a vet, I was curious to see how it would end up. I ended up letting DDO do a dwarf warpriest cleric build and am currently L19 with him. Soloed pretty much to L8 elite with it. Was tired of getting beat up with my squishy clerics in the past. To this end, I enjoy this charcter.

Disturbed10k
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice to see you are getting a head start in the forums. May I suggest, if your interested, letting DDO create your "cleric toon" and follow their plan. As a vet, I was curious to see how it would end up. I ended up letting DDO do a dwarf warpriest cleric build and am currently L19 with him. Soloed pretty much to L8 elite with it. Was tired of getting beat up with my squishy clerics in the past. To this end, I enjoy this charcter.

Yeah seemed like a good thing to do while waiting for the download to complete to introduce myself to the DDO community.

I'll look into it but I like to do that stuff on my own and learn what my character. It might be the stubbornness in me but I don't like it when stuff is done for me.

Lorien_the_First_One
11-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah seemed like a good thing to do while waiting for the download to complete to introduce myself to the DDO community.

I'll look into it but I like to do that stuff on my own and learn what my character. It might be the stubbornness in me but I don't like it when stuff is done for me.

If you like to research things yourself and understand how things work, let me point you at one of the best DDO resources around, the wiki. If you have a question, 95% of the time you can find the answer there. http://ddowiki.com/page/Home

Gornn
11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Welcome to DDO! :)

Disturbed10k
11-03-2009, 10:43 AM
If you like to research things yourself and understand how things work, let me point you at one of the best DDO resources around, the wiki. If you have a question, 95% of the time you can find the answer there. http://ddowiki.com/page/Home

Thank you for the hotlink. Looking through it now and looking through the Stat builds for Clerics. Very helpful much appreciated!