PDA

View Full Version : How do heal and repair skills work?

Mojofizznut
11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Sorry for noob Q - but I don't get these. I've spun up several characters (included WF) with my friend, and using the base skills for heal and repair, I always get messages telling me I can't use them. Even if I have repair and heal kits in inventory.

Are these resurrect skills? What does it mean you 'get extra health at resting stones' ???

captain1z
11-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Repair and heal have 2 uses each:

When a character is resting at a shrine normally he gets back about 15 hps but when a character with a heal skill (or repair for warforged) is close by they will get an extra 2 hps per skill piont upon resting (rough numbers...most likely wrong)

when a character is incapacitated (between 0 and -9) a repair roll with warforged or heal for other races from a character with the proper kits will bring the incap character to 1 hp.

Phidius
11-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Short answer: they don't work. Put the skill points somewhere else.

Excellant summary, captain1z.

Mojofizznut
11-02-2009, 09:50 PM

HAHAHA! That was my thoughts so far too... glad to get confirmation.

EustaceTrevelyan
03-05-2010, 01:56 AM

Excellant summary, captain1z.

Sorry to necro, but did they used to work, and i'm going off an outdated build? Someone IG told me about Impaqt's builds, and how he was a sort of go-to guy for that (not the only one of course). His WF wizard build The Battlestar says to max repair. Should i reroll then, as I'm a couple of levels in and have done just that.

TheDjinnFor
03-05-2010, 02:48 AM
Sorry to necro, but did they used to work, and i'm going off an outdated build? Someone IG told me about Impaqt's builds, and how he was a sort of go-to guy for that (not the only one of course). His WF wizard build The Battlestar says to max repair. Should i reroll then, as I'm a couple of levels in and have done just that.

That was a really epic necro (probably should have done a new thread).

Two things:

One - Can you link to "The Battlestar" for me please? It might be like a 3 y/o build or something, you never know :D.

Two - About the heal/repair, they have for the longest time 'worked', but they're just completely useless to train for anyone who doesn't have skillpoints coming out of their rear. In a nutshell, if you're between 0 and -9 hp, you're considered 'incapacitated' or incapped; you're not dead yet, and regular cure spells can heal you, but you can't move. The heal skill, along with a heal kit, can bring anybody incapped (except warforged) to 1 hp (or something like that), and the repair skill for any warforged. They also boost your hp healing at shrines by a minor amount.

But think about it. I mean, you're a WF wizzy, right? With repair spells (not the skills, the spells)? Why don't you just forget about the repair skill, cast a few repair spells on yourself after you rest, and that's that? And if someone is incapped, an aid clicky (gives them temporary hp) can bring them back no problem and allow them to chug a pot, as can anyone with any healing spells. Why would you honestly need the heal/repair skill?

But hey, with skillpoints to burn, I can appreciate the convenience of saving mana I suppose. If you're not planning on splashing rogue and mixing in some trapmonkey skills (which you really should have done first level), what else would you spend it on? Maybe haggle, if you're new. Just make sure you max the following (usually):

-Balance
-UMD
-Concentration

Then from there get any of the following

-Jump (ranks + strength mod = 10, as casting jump spell gives you 40, the max)
-Haggle (as much as you want, for cheaper vendoring)
-Diplomacy (as much as you want for shedding aggro and certain quests)
-Tumble (1, or ranks + dex mod = 10, same as jump)
-Spot (for seeing hidden enemies, quite a nuisance)

Then spend the rest on any you'd like if you still have any.

MrkGrismer
03-05-2010, 07:39 AM
Heal/Repair are based on the PnP skills; they are of minor use in PnP and even there generally only get taken by 'heal types' that have nothing better to do with their skill points (skills like jump, balance, intimidate, diplomacy and bluff have in many ways less usefulness in PnP). In PnP the amount that the heal skill can affect for 'overnight resting' can be quite significant, but it only really matters for groups that for some reason don't have access to healing magic.

In DDO everybody has access to healing magic, and resting at a shrine (which is roughly equivalent to PnP's 'full nights rest') always restores ALL spells (spell points), so the heal skill just isn't very useful overall. It can still be helpful at lower levels but past 5th or 6th the character might start wishing the points were in another skill. Even Jump is more useful in DDO then it is in PnP (since there is no 'flying' in ddo).

EustaceTrevelyan
03-07-2010, 05:47 AM
That was a really epic necro (probably should have done a new thread).

Two things:

One - Can you link to "The Battlestar" for me please? It might be like a 3 y/o build or something, you never know :D.

Yeah, prolly shoulda:) Praps i took the advice of Posting and You (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk) too much to heart, lol. Thanks for the advice, I've put a few points into it, since i met someone who swears by it, but i think i'll hold off and see what the deal is now, and if i miss it, i'll top it off later. The link to the Impaqt build is below, and yes it's a bit outdated, prolly, since it tops off at level 16, have to check out if anything else is better.

Impaqt's battlestar WF wiz build (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=139430)