PDA

View Full Version : Stunning Blow, etc

Ardkor
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
I'm looking at the Stunning Blow and Slicing Blow (I think that's what its called) as feats, and wondering how effective they are in DDO. Do any of you use these, and would you recommend them?

Stunning Blow looks like it would be helpful to a rogue, to stun an enemy and allow a couple extra swings of sneak attack.

Slicing does Constitution damage, which I think means it reduces the targets overall hit points, or is it just stat damage, so that if I reduce the targets CON to 0 its dead? It seems very rogue-like as a technique, but perhaps not so useful at lower levels, where you only do 2-5 CON damage.

I have a dwarven rogue, so the Dwarven tactics enhancement got me looking at things like Trip, Stunning Blow, etc.

Talish
11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
My fighter constantly uses stunning blow, Not only are foes stunned but for the duration of that stun every hit is a critical hit. I've very little experience with slicing blow.

Note fighters, dwarves and warforged get enhancements to improve stunning blow

Quintun
11-02-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm looking at the Stunning Blow and Slicing Blow (I think that's what its called) as feats, and wondering how effective they are in DDO. Do any of you use these, and would you recommend them?

Stunning Blow looks like it would be helpful to a rogue, to stun an enemy and allow a couple extra swings of sneak attack.

Slicing does Constitution damage, which I think means it reduces the targets overall hit points, or is it just stat damage, so that if I reduce the targets CON to 0 its dead? It seems very rogue-like as a technique, but perhaps not so useful at lower levels, where you only do 2-5 CON damage.

I have a dwarven rogue, so the Dwarven tactics enhancement got me looking at things like Trip, Stunning Blow, etc.

Stunning blow really needs a high STR to shine at higher levels. When stunned you get auto crits, but landing a stun is harder when you have low strength and do not have access to the stunning blow enhancements. As a dwarf you get half, but as a rogue I would not expect your str to be high enough to really use it much.

MDS_Geist
11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
On a high strength character with a 5% weighted weapon, stunning blow is fantastic. Unless you're able to push your strength to a bare minimum of 30, you'll find it largely useless at higher levels.

Ardkor
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Excellent, I just read the compendium notes about it too, where it says that for two weapon fighters it is even better, and I expect my STR will be fine at higher levels. Stunning Blow is going on the 'take this' list.

How does Stat damage work? I can't find anything in the compendium about it.

Talish
11-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Actually knowing what creatures/foes are susceptible to stunning blow helps as well and increases the frequency of landing it.

For example spiders, scorpions, drow scorpions, beholders and rust monsters are very easily stunned as well as most casters. A well placed stunning blow on a caster saves a lot of party damage.

Quintun
11-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Excellent, I just read the compendium notes about it too, where it says that for two weapon fighters it is even better, and I expect my STR will be fine at higher levels. Stunning Blow is going on the 'take this' list.

How does Stat damage work? I can't find anything in the compendium about it.

What will your STR be at higher levels? If you are not over 30 you are going to find stunning blow works very little at higher levels.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
When a mob is reduced to 0 in a stat, they are essentialy in the same state that stunning blow puts them in. They are helpless, can take no action, and every attack is a crit hit on them. They recover 1 stat point per minute.

Boss's are limited to a max of losing 10 points in a stat and cannot be reduced to 0. Many mobs in the highest level quests are immune to stat damage.

captain1z
11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
stunning blow is best used on a character with 30+ str and access to enhancements that will boost the DC. Very few rogues fit that description.

Slicing blow deals 1 point of constitution damage and then deals 1d4 points of hit point damage per 2 or 3 levels of the user over time.

Ardkor
11-03-2009, 02:47 AM
My STR is 16 at 1st level, and I plan to bump it every chance I get (I'm starting Rogue, but going to be almost all Ranger). I'm using a pair of Dwarven Axes for my melee weapons, and I am almost always solo. Stunning blow looks like a good investment - for one feat I have a chance to stun a monster for extra SA damage, or a chance to beat feat if it's something I don't really want to fight.

Slicing blow doesn't look nearly as cost effective, until I am much higher in level (if ever).

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

Vormaerin
11-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Slicing Blow is generally not very good because it cannot be used often enough to get a meaningful result. Stat damage weapons that apply on every hit or do a lot on every critical are pretty good. But since you have to hit slicing blow then wait the cool down, then hit it again, etc.. well, its just not that good. You'll kill the mob with regular damage before that actually matters.

Stunning blow rocks at low and mid levels. Its solid at high levels if you commit to keeping effective... which means enhancements, high Strength, and items with +Stunning blow DC. Worst case, you swap it out once you reach a point where its not working for you.

Note that Trip is similarly valuable and in the same conditions. It doesn't require a feat to use, though there is a feat to make it better.

Ardkor
11-03-2009, 08:54 AM
I've been trying these out (Trip & Stunning Blow) this morning, and had pretty good results. I have yet to be able to trip a Sahuagin, but I got a lot of laughs out of tripping cultists (esp the archer ones..who stand next to the river cliffs). Trip is only handy vs 2 legged targets, which makes sense. The stunning blow definitely works better against squishy/crunchy types - which after reading it through again, makes sense, because its a Fortitude save to avoid it. I stunned one of the BIG spiders in a quest this morning too, so he just stood there drooling while I beat his buddy to death.

They both seem to work more often when I use them from stealth as an opener, rather than during the melee that ensues after my usual SA. I sneak up on a guard and either trip or stunning blow and more often than not it works, and I beat him for 4-5 SA attacks before he recovers (if ever). If I just pop it off during the regular melee, it seems to work less often, but when it does its a death sentence for the critter. I'm glad I put points in MY balance skill, I don't want to end up like them.

Redicular
11-03-2009, 09:09 AM
how much str/dex/con do our targets generally have? I own a set of weakening of enfeebling(i think thats it, str- and str-burst) and can't recall ever having a target go auto-crit off those. considering I'm a monk, so 1 weak of enfeeb is effectively dual-wielding 2, I'da thought it would be more common. i've found its just better for me to use a weighted item and/or stunning fist

MDS_Geist
11-03-2009, 09:16 AM
how much str/dex/con do our targets generally have? I own a set of weakening of enfeebling(i think thats it, str- and str-burst) and can't recall ever having a target go auto-crit off those. considering I'm a monk, so 1 weak of enfeeb is effectively dual-wielding 2, I'da thought it would be more common. i've found its just better for me to use a weighted item and/or stunning fist

Our enemies tend to have very high str and con stats, especially at higher levels. Maladroit of bonebreaking is often a better option (particularly for monks) since they have lower dex scores and it also makes them easier for folks to hit.

My level 20 wind/water monk with mal/bb handwraps tends to put the CR 35 enemies in Mindsunder into autocrit within a few seconds if my stunning fist is still on timer. :)