PDA

View Full Version : Need avice against Elite traps

lppmor
11-02-2009, 07:13 AM
These days I was soloing a lvl 3 quest (Redfand the Unruled) on Elite, with my lvl 7 Ranger and a hireling. I had no problem at all against the spiders and scorpions, but I forgot about a spike trap close to a door and was hit for 160 damage! LOL. Instant death!

If a lvl 3 trap can do that, that made me wonder how can I be able to handle traps on higher lvl Hard/Elite quests at all.. And such powerful traps are not only a problem for me, but also for my hireling, since I can try jumping over a trap, but hirelings are not that smart and sometimes even +20 resistance for the correct element seems to be too low for some traps.

My question is: Is there some tactical way to avoid such traps, or should I get a Rogue lvl to maximize Disable Device (considering I would have to drop Hide and Move Silently to get Disable Device)? Also, my int is only 8, will Disable Device be high enough to disable traps on Elite? Should I get Skill Boost in this case?

Quelle
11-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Increase your Spot (more important) and Search skills, which are more generally useful to a ranger.
Put some points in Jump.
Get one level of Ranger Sprint and an Expeditious Retreat clicky.

If you are warned about traps because you Spot them then you are mostly likely to remember roughly what they are.

With Expeditious Retreat, followed by Ranger Sprint you can run past most traps before they fully trigger.
Add decent Jump to that and you can jump over most spike traps.

For the hireling, tell it to stay where it is. Cross the trap yourself and then tell the hireling to teleport to you.

Hendrik
11-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Currently, damage done by traps on higher difficulties is scaled incorrectly.

This will be fixed and you will not see that kind of trap damage, unfortunately.

pumagirl418
11-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Currently, damage done by traps on higher difficulties is scaled incorrectly.

This will be fixed and you will not see that kind of trap damage, unfortunately.

wow i sure hope so

Hendrik
11-02-2009, 08:01 AM
wow i sure hope so

It is.

Big E confirmed a day or so ago...

;)

Fredster
11-02-2009, 08:20 AM
I beleive the traps are spec'ed just fine. I am a rogue and i would of joined you on this quest. but you did not put up an LFM. Justice was served, as far as a rogue is concerned.

lppmor
11-02-2009, 08:25 AM
For the hireling, tell it to stay where it is. Cross the trap yourself and then tell the hireling to teleport to you.

I tried that, but seems that hirelings only teleport to you when they get stuck. If they find a path, no matter how far they are from you, they walk.

lppmor
11-02-2009, 08:27 AM
I beleive the traps are spec'ed just fine. I am a rogue and i would of joined you on this quest. but you did not put up an LFM. Justice was served, as far as a rogue is concerned.

I know, that's why I'm considering getting a Rogue lvl myself, if traps keep hitting so hard :)

deth2munkies
11-02-2009, 08:52 AM
That's nothing. 353 on a STK spike trap the other day, 850something in Gwylan's Stand, etc.

Moral of the story: Bring a rogue or be very good at dodging traps.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
11-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I tried that, but seems that hirelings only teleport to you when they get stuck. If they find a path, no matter how far they are from you, they walk.

Find a ledge or something and jump, call the hireling while you are in the air and they always teleport.