PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a solid solo character - perhaps bard?

Ardkor
11-01-2009, 06:05 AM
I've been playing the game for about 2 weeks now, just learning how things work, and *remembering* how pnp DnD was in 3.5....this game brings back a lot of memories, wow! I do not yet have access to the Drow/WF races, nor the Monk/Favored Soul classes. I am also working with 28 point builds for a while.

I'm looking to build a character that is going to solo 95% of the time - I can always play a healbot-type cleric if I'm craving group play, but because of real life concerns, I play at irregular intervals and for fairly short periods of time. Solo is lots of fun, and challenging, and most importantly, when something goes wrong it is clearly my fault (lol).

I have been playing a rogue/ranger multiclass for several levels, and so far he does just fine. I enjoy the stealth aspect a LOT, and the monster AI is good enough that it feels like I have to use my brain to win (instead of 'click the button, walk over and hew them down'). I also enjoy exploring as much of any given dungeon as I can, just because the environment is so cool. (I'm also one of those idiots you always see trying to get up on the highest point in Stormreach, just to look around...)

In pnp, the rogue was always my preferred class, but I understand that in DDO they are not necessarily the best choice for soloing. Rangers were usually my second choice, and seem fine in DDO. This is why I started with a combination of the two to try out the game. I'm not sure that they are a solid solo choice for extended play, though.

I've just read Thanimal's thread on a Dwarven Bard (the Axesinger) and it appealed to me a lot. Tough, good melee DPS, a little casting (mostly useful for self only), not too expensive to maintain. I'm not sure if bards can be stealthy (like a rogue) in DDO, though. Dual wielding weapons appeals to me almost as much as being stealthy.

I'd be interested in what other players recommend for a solo character, especially one that can use stealth, doesn't rely on ultra-rare gear to work, and won't require me to mortgage my home to the DDO store.

Hafeal
11-01-2009, 07:08 AM
I would consider Bards to be an "expert" class to solo. They don't have quite the DPS and their best spells are crowd control, especially as you get to higher levels. I love my 2 bards but I tend to look to group with them. With the new scaling on normal with DDO:EU, I would imagine soloing quests on normal should not be much of a problem but for advanced quests and end game you might face more difficulty.

Krag
11-01-2009, 08:40 AM
IMO nukers are best for solo purposes. Non-caster combatants regardless of the class will have a hard time dealing with multiple enemies. Since money is an issue for all new players you certainly want to have some sort of self-healing (SP, wands and scrolls). Considering all of the above, solid choices are:
human/drow/dwarf caster cleric
warforged wizard/sorc

strath
11-01-2009, 08:48 AM
Rogue/Ranger is one of the best solos possible. Trapskills, backstab, favored enemy, dual wield DPS, and starting at ranger 4 casting. . .

If you want a change of pace try a few of these.

Pure Bard - This is the jack of all trades class of the game.
Bard/Rogue - This will sacrifice some bard casting for extra skill points, back stab, open locks, and trap disarms.
Rogue with a UMD build - I don't normally solo rogues, but with the right wands and scrolls it opens up a whole new world. . . .note this can be expensive to gear, but rogues don't normally have an issue with money and if you are going to have above average CHA for a rogue, you can make a decent haggler too.
Rogue Duo: no I am not talking about multi-classing. I am talking about rogue with a hireling. If you don't mind hiring Mercs, rogues can team with a cleric very well.
Barbarian/Rogue or Rogue/Barbarian - You can decide which one gets top billing. . . this will stealth up a barbarian for sudden attacks of huge damage or you can buff up a rogue with +10% move, a few more weapons to choose from, HP related enhancements, and if you time it well rage.

I geared the above to focus on rogues and bards based on your interests, but if you feel like a change of pace there are other mixes that solo well.
Warforged Wizard - this is a self healing wizard with lots of immunities.
Dwarven Cleric - The dwarf aspect adds to saves, hit points, & the racial enhancements work well with clerics and melee
Dwarven Cleric/Fighter - As above but a splash of fighter adds a feat, a ton of weapons, some fighter enhancements and tower shields
Nuking Cleric - A nuking cleric can still have a few stat points for STR and be a workable solo. After level 3 you can cast Bulls Strength to help make up for lost ground in STR. I will often summon a creature to run decoy then drop nasty spells on my enemies. I often hire a fighter Merc when using this cleric for use like the summon above.
Favored Soul - This plays like a cleric with more SP but often lower penetration* If you concentrate on spells that do not rely on saves this can be a character with effective healing & nuking as well.
(Magic is based on CHA, Penetration on Wis, making it a bit harder to be good at both.)

If you want to solo at higher levels of content consider unlocking 32 point builds if you haven't already done so.

Damionic
11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
A good build concept I'm working on at the mo is (bard 1 sorc x)

human for extra love

Pros
More SP then straight sorc
CLW
First Songs
leather armour does not gimp your spells due to game thinking your pure bard
Faster casting
More spells
You can out CC any bard!

Cons
-1 spell pen then pure sorc but that's easily sorted (just max your charisma)
Get sorcs slower

Krag
11-01-2009, 09:05 AM
A good build concept I'm working on at the mo is (bard 1 sorc x)

human for extra love

Pros
More SP then straight sorc
CLW
First Songs
leather armour does not gimp your spells due to game thinking your pure bard
Faster casting
More spells
You can out CC any bard!

Cons
-1 spell pen then pure sorc but that's easily sorted (just max your charisma)
Get sorcs slower

- Care to explain how comes that bard1/sorc get more SP than pure sorc?
- Leather armour. Why would you want to wear it?
- More spells? You get less sorc spells.

- Charisma does NOT affect spell pen. SP=1d20+caster level+feats/enhancements/items.

Ardkor
11-01-2009, 03:06 PM
I appreciate the detailed reply, Strath, thank you! It looks like some combination of rogue/ranger, or a variation of that dwarven axesinger would work best. It occurs to me that solo, saves are going to be as important as armor class for me - there won't be anyone handy to remove a status condition or dispel curse, etc.

As far as some of the builds suggested by other folks (WF wizard, drow cleric, etc), while they sound interesting, they don't fit my limitation of 'no drow/warforged/32 point build access', nor do they seem to use stealth much. Both of those races interest me a lot (WF looks very tough indeed), as does the Favored Soul class - which I have been told is also a powerful solo option. I just don't have access to them yet (sigh).

I have accumulated 325 TP so far, and I'm working on more while I figure out what I'm going to go with. One thing I noticed while trying out each server is that they definitely have different flavors. The most helpful people were on Cannith and Sarlona, while the people on Kyhber were the worst (I *never* got a reply to any of my questions, even in the advice channel, while general chat was spammed with teen chatter. There *were* people talking in the advice channel talking, but it was all about WoW, and they ignored anything else..I won't be back to Khyber any time soon.) Thelanis had a large argument going on between some folks trying to sell some items to new players at a markup, while other players accused the former of being scumbags and price gougers. It was just plain noisy. Ghallandia was very quiet, almost no chatter in the General channel, except for two french players who were the perfect example of polite and helpful to me. Argonessen was filled with dozens of requests for groups and LFM messages, plus one confused group that seemed to ignore everyone while spamming general chat with their party commo. (At least you knew when they got wiped out, though.) It seemed very, very busy, with bunches and bunches of people gathered at the entrance to every dungeon on Korthos (or sprinting to and from them, swinging their weapons wildly).

DoctorWhofan
11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
CLeric any race is soloable. Elves have become more melee friendly with their new enhancements. So an elven cleric, with STR, WIS, and CON should be good for awhile.

Hendrik
11-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Monk.

:D

bruha118
11-01-2009, 03:32 PM
16 fvs/ 2 pally/ 2 monk...self heal...sick saves...evasion...self buffs...umd for blur, stoneskin,fireshield,displace scrolls...i like elf for this build do to scimmy enhancements...str, dex, and wis based....chr just high enough so u can cast spells. me and a buddy both have this build and i must say imo it is a truly fantastic solo build

Quintun
11-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Rogue/Ranger is one of the best solos possible. Trapskills, backstab, favored enemy, dual wield DPS, and starting at ranger 4 casting. . .

If you want a change of pace try a few of these.

Pure Bard - This is the jack of all trades class of the game.
Bard/Rogue - This will sacrifice some bard casting for extra skill points, back stab, open locks, and trap disarms.
Rogue with a UMD build - I don't normally solo rogues, but with the right wands and scrolls it opens up a whole new world. . . .note this can be expensive to gear, but rogues don't normally have an issue with money and if you are going to have above average CHA for a rogue, you can make a decent haggler too.
Rogue Duo: no I am not talking about multi-classing. I am talking about rogue with a hireling. If you don't mind hiring Mercs, rogues can team with a cleric very well.
Barbarian/Rogue or Rogue/Barbarian - You can decide which one gets top billing. . . this will stealth up a barbarian for sudden attacks of huge damage or you can buff up a rogue with +10% move, a few more weapons to choose from, HP related enhancements, and if you time it well rage.

I geared the above to focus on rogues and bards based on your interests, but if you feel like a change of pace there are other mixes that solo well.
Warforged Wizard - this is a self healing wizard with lots of immunities.
Dwarven Cleric - The dwarf aspect adds to saves, hit points, & the racial enhancements work well with clerics and melee
Dwarven Cleric/Fighter - As above but a splash of fighter adds a feat, a ton of weapons, some fighter enhancements and tower shields
Nuking Cleric - A nuking cleric can still have a few stat points for STR and be a workable solo. After level 3 you can cast Bulls Strength to help make up for lost ground in STR. I will often summon a creature to run decoy then drop nasty spells on my enemies. I often hire a fighter Merc when using this cleric for use like the summon above.
Favored Soul - This plays like a cleric with more SP but often lower penetration* If you concentrate on spells that do not rely on saves this can be a character with effective healing & nuking as well.
(Magic is based on CHA, Penetration on Wis, making it a bit harder to be good at both.)

If you want to solo at higher levels of content consider unlocking 32 point builds if you haven't already done so.

Ranger/rogue is good but how many backstabs are you getting solo unless you put skill points in bluff and diplo, which a ranger/rogue will have trouble with if he also plans to max disable, spot and search with some points in open lock.

Favored soul needs more wisdom than Cha really. As long as you can reach 19 Cha by level 9 spells you are fine and will have a ton of SP. With cha enhancements and likely a +2 tome before you need 19 cha its not hard to get there really. You can still put all level ups into wisdom and have good spell penetration.

Rolling20
11-01-2009, 04:19 PM
IMO, Bard excels as a support class but alone it would probably take a bit of skill to solo through the game.

I've got a L3 Cleric atm and that is going pretty well for me. For solo-ing you've got self-healing and a good deal of buffs and area stun/dmg spells. I've heard that Clerics get a little less ubber near max level but I've got one word for ya there...Implosion.