PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on good weapon stats

lppmor
10-31-2009, 05:22 PM
With my Ranger, I'm curently using an Anarchic Longsword on my main hand and a Holy Shortsword off-handed.
This means I can just slaughter Lawful Evil mobs, such as kobolds and hobgoblins I believe, but seems there are too many mobs immune to these weapon mods (quickfoot humans, beasts, elementals, most giants..), and I didn't like the idea of having a weapon that works well only half the time. I prefer weapons that work nicely all the time.

So, I would like to know what people suggest to carry as weapons to avoid this issue (considering I'm still lvl 7)? Which weapon stats are nice to have as all around situations? Elemental mods (cold, fire, acid..)? Pure Good? Stat decreasing weapons are good choices?

DasLurch
10-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Shock hits most mobs, and Pure Good is always nice. Combining them is never a bad thing. Acid hits most things as well. The thing about your weapon set is that it will miss around 1/3-2/5 of the mobs in game. Sometimes you need to cary a few different things for other situations. Ele's are normally True neutral, so True chaos, True Law, PG, and Elemental Banes work on them as well as any elemental power (fire ele's immune to fire for example) that they are not comprised of. A high + Pure Good weapon will hit more things for a moderate amount of damage most of the time.

sirgog
10-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Personally my preferred low-level modifier is Holy, probably because I mostly run lowbie quests where it works on everything.

Acid of Pure Good is an exceptional combination, but because of how good it is, the prices are through the room.

If you mostly group rather than solo, having exactly one weapon with Backstab +2 or better on it helps a lot - the effect applies to both weapons (+2 or more to hit, +3 or more to damage) whenever the mob you are attacking is attacking someone else.

Erend
10-31-2009, 10:06 PM
Got a Dwarven ranger that dualwields vicious dwarven axes. Vicious damage is untyped, you get 1d3 dam and deal out 2d6 damage, which hits pretty much everything. Yes.. you receive dam, but hey.. u have ewand usage. As I gained levels I found some vicious of greater (insert type of mob here) damage.. so that is when I switched to Scimitars.
So now I got a bodyfeeder scimi on my main hand, and a vicious scimi of pure good on the other, plus a couple quick change vicious of greater bane on hand (undead, giant, and such that cover great variety of mobs)... so that, toghether with greater crit range which you can pick after lvl 8t gives you 15 extra HP´s fromt he bodyfeeder 25% of chance everytime you hit, and then the damage the vicious deals out is subtracted from that. SO it pretty much keeps it even.
So in theory: Hit with the body feeder.. 1/4 time get 15 extra HP. Then hit with, lets say, Vicious weapon of greater undead bane. Damage would be: weapon type damage + str bonuses + 2D6 untyped vicious damage and if it is an undead youre fighting.. throw in an extra 3D6 dam. And that is without it being a crit... nor adding in power attack if you have it.

Cheers!