PDA

View Full Version : WF Caster Starter Gear is Awful

excess
10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Why is it that WF sorcerer's and wizard get the worst possible starter gear - a repair docent. Compare that to the awesome +1 level to your low level spells on the starter caster robe.

Phidius
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Simply because WF Casters are truly awesome to play, and don't really need any extra help.

The fleshy casters, however, need some help.

excess
10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Explain that to every WF sorcerer I've ever attempted to play when they can effectively empty their mana pool chain casting NIACs at the red named sahuagin in the korthos warehouse quest and leave him with half health. Seriously, NIACs can hit double digits on a normal caster at level 1, I hit for 7s and 8s... painful.

Phidius
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
Explain that to every WF sorcerer I've ever attempted to play when they can effectively empty their mana pool chain casting NIACs at the red named sahuagin in the korthos warehouse quest and leave him with half health. Seriously, NIACs can hit double digits on a normal caster at level 1, I hit for 7s and 8s... painful.

I hear you... frankly, I've found it better to just beat them senseless with a Great Ax, and save the sp for repair spells. I don't normally use sp for damaging spells until getting Scorching Ray. Damage spells with a save are certainly not my first choice, at least not until much later.

And by them, I mean the sahuagin :D

excess
10-30-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I'm just gonna try repair and master's touch and see how it goes. Swap it out for something else later on when I can actually hurt things.

Aerniel
10-30-2009, 03:44 PM

doesnt compare at high levels

excess
10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes obviously - my point was, why give this craptastic +3 repair docent instead of having one with a similar effect?

Aerniel
10-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Yes obviously - my point was, why give this craptastic +3 repair docent instead of having one with a similar effect?

Simply because WF Casters are truly awesome to play, and don't really need any extra help.

The fleshy casters, however, need some help.

he answered it for you.

excess
10-30-2009, 04:08 PM
by your own rationale however, that doesn't apply at level 1

Aerniel
10-30-2009, 04:10 PM
by your won rationale however, that doesn't apply at level 1

ask yourself this..... how long are you going to use level one material?

excess
10-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Again, obviously.

It doesn't address both my points:

1. It probably discourages many WF casters early on.
2. It makes no sense.

Yes, later on they make powerful sorcerers... but why make the first experience unnecessarily painful for them?

Aerniel
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Again, obviously.

It doesn't address both my points:

1. It probably discourages many WF casters early on.
2. It makes no sense.

Yes, later on they make powerful sorcerers... but why make the first experience unnecessarily painful for them?

This is DDO :D things are always tough for casters in the begining fleshy or not. I never liked my sorc till about level 4, the same with my wf wiz at level 3. it may be painful but if you want to be competent, then suck it up and tough it out :)

excess
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
I understand that casters don't really come into their own until later on (i'd argue even later than you at about level 7-8 with firewall), but the fact remains that my drow wizard was capable of nuking on normal difficulty dungeons early on almost entirely thanks to that starter robe effect.

kafrielveddicus
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I'm just gonna try repair and master's touch and see how it goes. Swap it out for something else later on when I can actually hurt things.

This Tactic for the Win, just ask the many permadeathers who use this tactic!!!

Switch your spells out later on!!!

Aerniel
10-30-2009, 04:23 PM
I understand that casters don't really come into their own until later on (i'd argue even later than you at about level 7-8 with firewall), but the fact remains that my drow wizard was capable of nuking on normal difficulty dungeons early on almost entirely thanks to that starter robe effect.

The reason i say my fun with a caster starts off at 3 or 4 is because of scorching ray :) thats the bomb when your low level!

look ahead of level one when you want to pack a named robe or some resist robes ( i dont really think you'll be using that starter robe at level 3 or 4 because you could just get a really low level potency item, it frees your robe slot and occupies a hand slot plus you can hold another item for increased damage i.e. combustion/glaciation/corrosion and so on)