PDA

View Full Version : Multiclassing and Spell Points

Chupanza
10-30-2009, 02:11 PM
I have a Paladin(5)/Fighter(4) character, but my group REALLY needs a healer.
Since we have lots of tanks and DD´s in the group I´m considerating taking a few levels of Cleric.

The Spell Points gained with both classes (paladin and cleric) are cumulative, so I can use my pally´s SP to cast Cleric´s spells and vice-versa?

Besides that, what you guys think of that build? So far I really like my build (without he cleric levels so far), good tanker dd with some healing skills.

Tips and hints are welcome.

Samadhi
10-30-2009, 02:19 PM
You will not have enough healing to really matter - and you will hurt your offense - there is no benefit from doing this.

winsom
10-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Multi-classing for extra spell points is not worth it if you plan to play the character much past level 10. It is not worth it to delay or give up gaining higher level abilities that come after 9th in most classes. You will want the 12th or 18th level enhancements for a class too, if you plan to play at high level.

Take more Paladin levels, wear a Devotion and Wizardry spell point item, and pick up the Maximize Feat if you want to have superior healing abilities. You can consider Mental Toughness too, although that should probably be re-speced for something else prior to the highest levels. Make sure you have the Toughness feat at some point, if not already.

Your healing will be decent once you get Cure Moderate then Cure Serious Wounds and the above items I mentioned. This is why multi-classing can be a trap. You might get a few dozen more spell points but you are delaying your paladin caster levels and more powerful Cure Wounds Spells. That is not a good trade-off.

Lorien_the_First_One
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
You already have a mix that doesn't look strong offensively, defensively, or from a healing standpoint. Watering it down further will lead it to be useless.

If you want a fighting healer its time to roll a FvS, Cleric, or even a Bard.

Thrudh
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I have a Paladin(5)/Fighter(4) character, but my group REALLY needs a healer.
Since we have lots of tanks and DD´s in the group I´m considerating taking a few levels of Cleric.

The Spell Points gained with both classes (paladin and cleric) are cumulative, so I can use my pally´s SP to cast Cleric´s spells and vice-versa?

Besides that, what you guys think of that build? So far I really like my build (without he cleric levels so far), good tanker dd with some healing skills.

Tips and hints are welcome.

Problem is, your group needs a level 9 cleric to keep up with you... You'll be as powerful a healer as a level 1 or level 2 cleric... with low level spells...

Better to keep working on your paladin levels... Get more Lay-on-hands for emergencies, use cure serious wands to heal people between fights...

Taurnish
10-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Problem is, your group needs a level 9 cleric to keep up with you... You'll be as powerful a healer as a level 1 or level 2 cleric... with low level spells...

Better to keep working on your paladin levels... Get more Lay-on-hands for emergencies, use cure serious wands to heal people between fights...

Good points made here. I would not water-down the character anymore as the other posters agree. You need a high lvl cleric and you simply cannot get that right now. Try a hireling if you have an extra slot in your group. If not maybe use an occasional pug.

Sorry, I am sure this is not what you want to hear. :(

Chupanza
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Wow, thanks to all you guys. Guess I´ll explain this to my friends at the group. Now I think I´ll keep leveling up as a pally. Thanks a lot.

tihocan
10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
One option is to take a couple levels of rogue. It shouldn't be too late for you to max out UMD. At this point you'll be able at least to reliably UMD heal scrolls, which will help with healing.
However, for it to be worth it you'll also want to be in light armor (for evasion). Depending on your build and its purpose, it may not work out (basically, if you are in heavy armor with tower shield and intend to remain a tank - i.e. planning on Defender of Siberys, Combat Expertise, Intimidate, with good enough Dex to fill up Dragontouched Full Plate with all increases to dex bonus to AC you can get).

ArgentMage
10-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Can't the Paladin use Cure Moderate/Serious Wands?
That might help close the gap.