PDA

View Full Version : Complementing a Sorceress

Mathrym
10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
Hi,

I have started to play with my Girlfriend (both new to the game) and she choose to be a sorceress. I would like to choose a race/class that would complement her character so that we can do a lot of dongeons together without depending on forming a party all the time. My first character was a Bard and that didn't work super well. So I'm thinking of doing a dwarf fighter or a dwarf paladin. I think that I should have some healing skills even if it's limited, but i'm not sure. I'm not looking for someone to give me a build, but just something to start with :)

Thanks!

Mathrym

Arianrhod
10-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I know it's overdone, but you might want to consider a dwarf battlecleric, unless you have enough money ingame to buy wands from the very start. Paladins can heal, but they don't get any spells till level 4, and they get very few spellpoints to cast them with (at least at first), so you'd be depending on wands for most of your healing if you played a paladin. As a battlecleric, you'd still be able to fight reasonably well, and you'd be able to heal without having to buy (and carry) a bunch of wands.

Also, if your girlfriend is open to suggestions, consider steering her in the direction of Crowd Control (hypnotism, web) rather than nuking, at least till the two of you get more comfortable with some of the quests and gameplay ;)

Urguwno
10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Go with a Warforged Cleric or Favored Soul. (melee-focused)

If she happens to be non-warforged, you'll be able to heal her efficiently and she'll be able to heal you efficiently in return.

You'll also be able to heal yourself, although not as efficiently, for a few days each month.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 02:34 PM
You may not have access to them, but with a caster in the group it can be a good idea to go warforged, to make healing easier.

I would suggest a tempest ranger because it's one of the most versatile melee type.

Battleworm
10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
I think saying stuff like You look good in blue or love the new green hair works!

assamite
10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
If you guys want to be the Ultimate duo i would suggest she make a warforged Sorce and you make a WF fighter or pali. THF Falchion/greatsword/greataxe

Arianrhod
10-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I think saying stuff like You look good in blue or love the new green hair works!

/rolleyes

He said complementing, not complimenting :p

And anyway, something more along the lines of "nice hypno, not one of them is even twitching" or "oooh, pretty lights" (Hypnotic Pattern) would be more suitable....best not give her any ideas about your opinion of "acid green" till you make sure you're refreshed your elemental resists ;)

Battleworm
10-29-2009, 02:43 PM
/rolleyes

And anyway, something more along the lines of "nice hypno, not one of them is even twitching" or "oooh, pretty lights" (Hypnotic Pattern) would be more suitable....best not give her any ideas about your opinion of "acid green" till you make sure you're refreshed your elemental resists ;)

ok ok I surrender!lol

jsaving
10-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Because sorcerers are exceptionally weak in melee, you should choose a class that can go toe-to-toe with enemies. Because you want to bring healing to the table as well, you're looking at either a paladin or else a cleric who perhaps picks up a level or two of fighter along the way. I wouldn't suggest favored soul, mainly because it's helpful to have at least one caster in the party who can swap spells at will to account for quest-specific needs.

Mathrym
10-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated :)

Alright! So it seems that a Warforge seems like the race to go with. As for the classes, I think I should go either Cleric or Favored soul. With Warrior or Ranger, I won't be able to patch her up if she gets a beating. And with a Paladin, the healing might be too limited.

So the question is : Cleric or Favored soul or Paladin?

I also need to be able to withstand most of the beating between the two of us.

Mathrym

Mathrym
10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Jsaving, Do you mean that Clerics and Paladins can switch Spells anytime instead of once every 3 days or that Favorite Soul cannot change spells like the others can. I'm not sure if I understood you correctly :s

Arianrhod
10-29-2009, 03:19 PM

Alright! So it seems that a Warforge seems like the race to go with. As for the classes, I think I should go either Cleric or Favored soul. With Warrior or Ranger, I won't be able to patch her up if she gets a beating. And with a Paladin, the healing might be too limited.

Mathrym

Well, the reason for warforged race is that she will be able to repair herself (and you) - sorcerors can learn the Repair spells, which "heal" warforged characters. That would leave you free to go with a more melee oriented character such as a paladin or even barbarian if you prefer (assuming she's willing & able to take on the role of healer as well as nuker; if not, the cleric or favored soul might still be the way to go).

Of course, if she's unwilling to make the sorceror warforged, there's less incentive to make your character warforged, as you'll still need a means of healing her, which would give you a means of healing yourself as well, no matter what your race.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 03:22 PM
If you go Cleric or FS then it doesn't matter much anymore for you to be WF, since you can heal yourself just fine.

Something you should consider is getting a character who can intimidate. It'll help a lot if she's not the one with aggro. And then it doesn't matter that much if you don't have super-healing power (so for instance a warforged tempest ranger with rogue skills + intimidate would probably work pretty well).

jsaving
10-29-2009, 04:54 PM
Do you mean that Clerics and Paladins can switch Spells anytime instead of once every 3 days or that Favorite Soul cannot change spells like the others can.
Clerics, paladins, rangers, and wizards can switch spells any time they rest at a shrine or any time they enter a tavern, giving them an edge as far as adaptability is concerned. Clerics and wizards also receive more spells per level than favored souls and sorcerers do, giving them even greater breadth (at a cost of fewer spell points).

Of course, sorcs and FvSs can always purchase wands for these kinds of situational spells, but you can't really do that mid-dungeon, so it is at best only a partial remedy for their lack of breadth.

TFPAQ
10-29-2009, 04:58 PM
/rolleyes

I think that that dress looks lovely on you and complements your figure..

.. especially if you posed for the old splash screen...

Brennie
10-29-2009, 07:31 PM
"You're eyes sparkle beautifully in the light of this firewall"

"I've never noticed how elegantly you burn Kobolds alive"

"All my base are belong to you"

Things every gamer girls like to hear.

But seriously, duoing a sorceress is a tough call. On teh one hand, you want to be able to have enough healing to last you through a dungeon. On the other and, you will want someone to get up and personal in your enemies faces to dole out the DPS and provide the "not dying" role.

Cleric can melee in low levels quite effectively, and has the healing covered easily. The only problem is that clerics have a hard time doing good damage, without sacrificng a lot of their casting ability. Even still, I'd recommnd cleric. Further, I'd recommend at low levels, the girlfriend tries to fill a crowd control mode with hypnotism, charm person, and web, while you don fullplate, a sheild, and a morningstar of buttkickingness. Later, once she begins to get alittle more firepower under her belt, she can toss out fireballs, and lay down firewalls, and you can worry more about distracting enemies, crowd controlling (YAY greater command!), and possibnly cursespewing or stat damaging weapons.

And if you REALLy want to suck up, you can do something *only* clerics can do, which is specc for Divine Vitality enhancements. Doing so lets you turn your useless "Turn Undead" powers into spellpoints. "baby, I'd give up ALL my Turn Undead powers just to make you happy" has a nice ring to it. Just don't tell her that Turn Undead is entirely useless, so you're not really sacrificing anything :P

strath
10-29-2009, 09:27 PM
Dwarf Cleric 19/Fighter1

Dwarven + Con means you have HP
The fighter level means lots of weapon abilities, an extra feat, & Tower shield
And finally Dwarven enhancements work very well with the two classes above.

Junts
10-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Mathrym

Paladin and ranger could both top her up ok with wands

Better, she should be a warforged sorceror so she can heal herself -and- you while you kill anything particularly dangerous.