PDA

View Full Version : Salvaging a For-Fun Bard Build with TWF

Ecnassianer
10-29-2009, 01:46 PM
This Bard is my first character, and I've been having fun with it so far. I run around with a rapier and a shortsword even thought I don't have Two Weapon Fighting and really enjoy it. I took a level of Rogue at 3 so I could open locks and disable traps. I realize this has already doomed my character to gimpness because I didn't start as a Rogue, so I'm not too committed to keeping this character till endgame. For now I'm just having fun and learning (and perhaps unlocking account stuff). I spend most of my time hanging out with a Halfling Sorcerer where I tank/buff/heal/open locks.

I'd like to get ahold of TWF so I don't have the hefty -4/-8 to attack. With Inspire Courage I can still hit things well enough, but I suspect this won't last long since as soon as the buff wears off I'm swinging at air again.

But I started with 10 Dex. :(

I'm a Halfling, so it wouldn't be many levels before I could get +2 to my Dex, bringing me to 12 Dex. I've payed for MMOs before, so I wouldn't mind dropping some USD on a +1 Tome in the Turbine Store or doing some work for one from the AH (yeaaaah haggle), which would bring me up to 13 Dex. What do I have to do to get a +2 Dex Tome?

I've heard of +3 Dex Tomes, which together with my Halfling Dex Enhancements would get me to the prereq 15 Dex to take TWF. They sound like some kind of uberloot though, any chance I'll get one of these any time soon? Or should I not plan on it?

Are there any other ways that I can raise my base Dex that last point or two so I could take TWF for fun?

I'm in no rush to start over and screw up a second character right away, but if I were to just trash this build and start over, is there anything I should do first to unlock things on my account?

anatoli11
10-29-2009, 01:53 PM
You can get TWF by taking 2 levels of ranger. Your character is a little off the wall, but as long as you are having fun...

Drow at 400 favour make a good twf bard. Make sure to use Ron's character planner.

Enjoy!

Ecnassianer
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM
Where can I find Ron's character planner?

tihocan
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
First: yes, this character seems doomed, so I wouldn't suggest to invest much in it (especially not $$$). But do as you please of course...

Second, your only hope to reach 15 Dex is through level up points and tomes. Other items/enhancements don't count towards feat prereqs. This is hopeless on your build because by the time you can reach that (probably around L12), you will have realized it's much better to reroll ;)

So, taking 2 levels of ranger is really your only hope. It won't save your build (you'll still want to reroll later) but at least you'll be able to enjoy TWF a bit longer.

The thing you may want to unlock on your account is Drow, by getting 400 favor. This is typically achieved around L6-7.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Where can I find Ron's character planner?
Google Ron's character planner.

Ecnassianer
10-29-2009, 02:55 PM
What are level up points?

Ecnassianer
10-29-2009, 03:01 PM
(1:00:08 PM) MyFriend: Oh, you get one stat point every four levels.
(1:00:15 PM) MyFriend: 4, 8, 12, 16, 20

hmmm... 13 Dex at level 4....

Hecore
10-30-2009, 04:53 AM
Only tomes and level ups count for the purpose of getting feats - at 4 the most you could have (that counts) is 12 - 1 level up and a +1 tome. In all likelihood the soonest you would get 15 Dexterity is level 12 - all points into Dexterity and a +2 tome. You'll get Halfling enhancements, but they don't count towards the minimum 15 points you need to get Two-Weapon Fighting.

In all seriousness I would reroll the character, or get the two levels of Ranger others have suggested. There's no good way to make this work, and starting over as a level three character hurts a lot less than restarting a level 4,5,6 etc. character.

Noctus
10-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I took a level of Rogue at 3 so I could open locks and disable traps. I realize this has already doomed my character to gimpness because I didn't start as a Rogue, so I'm not too committed to keeping this character till endgame.

Wrong.
This level order did only cost you 8 skill points. This does not make or break a build. It is less than optimal, but not gimping your build.

The starting DEX of 10 on a character who wants to TWF on the other hand......

Ecnassianer
10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
You'll get Halfling enhancements, but they don't count towards the minimum 15 points you need to get Two-Weapon Fighting.

Ah! I didn't catch that when I read tihocan's post. Thanks for pointing it out again.

This thread has been pretty useful. I'm going to play a few more days on my current character while I work on a new build, and then reroll as a Rogue Bard Warchanter. Thanks for everyone's help!

If you want to comment on my new build, you can find it here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=210825