PDA

View Full Version : Cleric way to Blade Barrier?

lppmor
10-29-2009, 01:10 PM
I would like to start a Dwarf Cleric, and I want to go a pure, with no splashes.

Initial stats would be:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 8
WIS 16 (all lvl up points here)
CHA 6

I know the high WIS will really only start to shine after Blade Barrier, but it's a long journey till there. So, considering I usually only play solo, how can I make things easier till lvl 11? I mean, playing solo requires you to kill things fast enough, so what about spending a feat on Greataxe proficiency to be melee capable, also maybe Power Attack, and then exchange those feats for metamagic later? And after getting Blade Barrier and the other nice spells, what feats should I by no means miss?

Quintun
10-29-2009, 01:16 PM
I would like to start a Dwarf Cleric, and I want to go a pure, with no splashes.

Initial stats would be:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 8
CHA 6

I know the high WIS will really only start to shine after Blade Barrier, but it's a long journey till there. So, considering I usually only play solo, how can I make things easier till lvl 11? I mean, playing solo requires you to kill things fast enough, so what about spending a feat on Greataxe proficiency to be melee capable, also maybe Power Attack, and then exchange those feats for metamagic later? And after getting Blade Barrier and the other nice spells, what feats should I by no means miss?

At lower levels I suggest Soundburst. This will stun mobs for 6 seconds allowing you to kill a couple before the stun wears off. Also use command. You will be able to kill mobs pretty quick if they are on the floor letting you bash them.

Are you going pure for capstone or RP? I would not go with power attack. Power attack hurts your to hit a good bit at lower levels but you barely notice it later.

Urguwno
10-29-2009, 02:09 PM
I really don't know why people plan on soloing an MMO. The quickest way to level 11 is finding groups for experience-heavy quests... but I digress.

I can't imagine you'll have too much trouble hitting things with 16+ STR, bless and divine favor -- you'll be plenty melee-capable. So Power Attack? Sure. Great Axe Proficiency? I don't think I'd waste the feat.

I personally hate running without the Extend Spell meta at low levels, which can be swapped out later.

As the prior post suggests, your wisdom will pay off even at early levels if you'll do some crowd control.

I'd suggest taking the Toughness feat at level 1 so you can start dumping action points into the Toughness enhancements early.

You'll probably be running most quests on normal with unlimited shrine use if you plan to solo everything, so I wouldn't bother with mental toughness.

Impaqt
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Initial stats would be:

STR 16
DEX 12
CON 14
INT 8
CHA 6

I would go 18 Wis, 14 STR, 10 Dex.(or even 8 Dex and Bump Con up to 16)

Wisdom helps Every sepll that Has a DC. Starting at Level 1 with "Command"

I like taking a Martial Level on a melee Dwarf Cleric. 1 Ranger gives Dwarven Axe Pro, Maintains Spell Points, Has a nice sprint Boost Clicky, and offers a Fav Enemy. Nice trade for -1 Spell Penn and a couple spell slots that are usually filed with useless spells anyway.

If you want to stay pure Cleric, Taking Great axe as a Feat early can be swapped out. I dont realy find a need for Power attack until late in the game. Most mobs can be DPS'd down without it easily. Especially with Solo Dungeon Scaling. By the time youc an really benefit from PA, you'll have Blade Barrier.

tihocan
10-29-2009, 02:21 PM
I mean, playing solo requires you to kill things fast enough, so what about spending a feat on Greataxe proficiency to be melee capable, also maybe Power Attack, and then exchange those feats for metamagic later? And after getting Blade Barrier and the other nice spells, what feats should I by no means miss?
Sounds like a decent idea to me. You could take power attack at L9 (since you're a new player, taking it earlier will probably hurt your to-hit too much). You may even find that you don't want to get rid of the greataxe proficiency in the end ;)
For some blade barrier fun you want at least Maximize and Quicken spell. Empower makes it even more fun but then you may start being short on feat (could decide to drop your melee feats if you don't enjoy melee anymore).

lppmor
10-29-2009, 02:27 PM
I want to go pure because of RP reasons. I know getting a Fighter/Ranger lvl would be great, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Lets say I choose Toughness at lvl 1 and Martial:Greateaxe at lvl 3 (the idea is swapping later, but maybe I enjoy the idea of keeping axes.. damn, I'm a Dwarf lol), how can I spend my feats after that? Maximize only worth at higher lvls right? Empower + Quicken are must haves? Spell Penetration line?

tihocan
10-29-2009, 02:46 PM
I want to go pure because of RP reasons. I know getting a Fighter/Ranger lvl would be great, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Lets say I choose Toughness at lvl 1 and Martial:Greateaxe at lvl 3 (the idea is swapping later, but maybe I enjoy the idea of keeping axes.. damn, I'm a Dwarf lol), how can I spend my feats after that? Maximize only worth at higher lvls right? Empower + Quicken are must haves? Spell Penetration line?
I would suggest:
L1 - greataxe (the fun starts now!)
L3 - extend (6 mins bull's ftw)
L6 - toughness
L9 - power attack
L12 - maximize
L15 - quicken
L18 - one of spell pen, empower, empower healing, improved crit, depending on what way you decide to go.

lppmor
10-29-2009, 03:25 PM
And there is no need for Mental Toughness line as a Cleric?

tihocan
10-29-2009, 03:32 PM
And there is no need for Mental Toughness line as a Cleric?
No, it's not required. I wouldn't take it except on a healbot who can't find anything better.