PDA

View Full Version : Armor Theory

Andromyr
10-29-2009, 12:03 PM
I am considering keeping my fighter in the medium armor ranges where her dexterity (14, so a +2 AC bonus) will help a bit more. I think I'm looking mostly for a breastplate though my armor bonus seems to get it's maximum effect from chainmail.
I'm sticking with medium armor to keep the weight carried down. I have a strength of 16 which should allow a decent amount of weight. Rather than dual wield I'll work with longsword and shield (the harder it is to hit me the less any healers have to waste trying to patch me up if there is a badly injured rogue or caster in the party.) I took the feat: Dodge to help out more. Am I deluding myself into thinking this is a good idea or do I have something working in my favor here?

I thank you for your time should you choose to answer.

IronAngel
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I am considering keeping my fighter in the medium armor ranges where her dexterity (14, so a +2 AC bonus) will help a bit more. I think I'm looking mostly for a breastplate though my armor bonus seems to get it's maximum effect from chainmail.
I'm sticking with medium armor to keep the weight carried down. I have a strength of 16 which should allow a decent amount of weight. Rather than dual wield I'll work with longsword and shield (the harder it is to hit me the less any healers have to waste trying to patch me up if there is a badly injured rogue or caster in the party.) I took the feat: Dodge to help out more. Am I deluding myself into thinking this is a good idea or do I have something working in my favor here?

I thank you for your time should you choose to answer.

If you want to stick with Med armor then go with Mithril FP. It is considered medium and raises the max dex bonus to 3. But, it has far and away a better bas ac the a breast plate or chain. Adamantium FP is nice because of the dr but the max dex is one and is heavy, However, you can get fighter enhancements to increase the max dex bonus.

As far as weight goes, this game is so messed up compared to PnP that it will not be an issue. Especially since you will get str items to increase your str ie increasing your weight load.

assamite
10-29-2009, 12:08 PM
If you cross class with any evasion class i don't see any reason why you wouldn't wear mithral breastplate <.<. If you don't have evasion stick with the Fullplate

tihocan
10-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Pick whichever armor gives you best total AC. Extra dex bonus to AC is useless if the base armor bonus sucks.
Sword & board is a good idea at low/mid levels. If you are planning on taking this route all the way to L20, then:
- better have at least 14 *base* dex
- enough Int to take Combat Expertise
- take the Stalwart Defender line of enhancements
- max out intimidate
- accept you won't be top DPS

Otherwise, go Kensai, start investing either in the THF or TWF feats, and in situations where AC does not matter you can switch to DPS mode... and when you see your AC becomes too low to matter (probably when you hit Gianthold around L10-13), drop all armor and run in robe :)

Milolyen
10-29-2009, 12:23 PM
First off there is a couple things here.

14 dex gives you a +2 modifier to ac so best bet is to find good armor with a +2 max dex (full plate will still be better as I belive it increases your ac by 2 versus losing a +1 max dex bonus)

Secondly heavy shields will help but if you are looking to get hit less you will want to look at tower shields.

Third Fighters get two ap lines that most others can't get (save dwarves and a belt). One will increase the max dex bonus of tower shields and the other will increase the max dex of armor. If I remember correctly names are fighter armor mastery and fighter tower shield mastery.

If you are going for high ac fighter your best bet is to go with mithral full plate and keep the max dex to match your dex modifier. While your ac will help ALOT at low lvls by the time you get around lvl 12 the payoff will not be so great. It will take a lot of work and specialty gear to keep your AC at a meaningfull lvl.

Also with you being S&B (sword and board - sword and shield) your dps will be lower and so the others with high dps and (usually) lower ac will easily grab agroe from you. To keep you being the target of their attacks instead of those with less ac you will want to keep your intimidate as high as possible and use it.

Milolyen